Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training
Quote | Reply
I'm planning a trip to Spain for 2 weeks starting in a couple of weeks. From what I've read, Mallorca and Girona are great places to train. I saw that Girona has a few good lap pools but does anyone know of lap pools in Mallorca? I will probably stay at http://www.clubpollentia.com on the north coast (in Alcudia) since it has good reviews (although I think you have to wear a wetsuit since the pool isn't heated?). I have no set plans other than flying in and out of Barcelona. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jason
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [powder1538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like a dream trip and I'm very jealous. To allow me to live vicariously through your adventures, please post reports often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Mallorca five times and never swam once (or ran), except for the dip in the hotel pool. It is a cycling paradise. By the time you finish a 200 km day on the bike, the last thing you'll want to do is go for a run or swim - although I have seen people running. It is the place where people go to put in a solid 1000 KM on the bike in a short period of time to get their season kick started. Take a road bike, some great hills to climb.

Driven in Girona, never road my bike in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stayed at Club Pollentia a couple of times and although the pool was cool, it wasn't cold enough to warrant a wetsuit (I've been there in May and October). The club is out of town, so a bit of a hike for restaurants, shops, etc., but the on site buffet is good. There's lots of good cycling around with a choice of hilly or flat routes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently in Mallorca at Blue Bay Resort on a two week camp. It's just a few kms south of Club Pollentia, about 6km from Alcudia. Plenty of triathletes here, everyone swimming, biking and running. There is a nice 25m heated outdoor pool (you can book training times in the reception) and several good running trails starting just outside of the hotel. And of course the cycling is incredible. Really beautiful. And Frank Schleck is on the island right now - saw him Wednesday!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [doug_steel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed Club Pollentia and they said the pool is 73 degrees right now and they stop heating after April 31st. If I stay there, I'll be bringing my wetsuit! Maybe I should bring a wetsuit anyways if I plan to do any open water swims. Also, I'm a bit hesitant about staying at Club Pollentia since it sounds like you have to take a bus to eat at any restaurants other than the hotel. Is that true?
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Currently in Mallorca at Blue Bay Resort on a two week camp. It's just a few kms south of Club Pollentia, about 6km from Alcudia. Plenty of triathletes here, everyone swimming, biking and running. There is a nice 25m heated outdoor pool (you can book training times in the reception) and several good running trails starting just outside of the hotel. And of course the cycling is incredible. Really beautiful. And Frank Schleck is on the island right now - saw him Wednesday!

Are you staying at the Valentin Blue Bay Resort? If so, it looks really nice but unfortunately out of my price range. The beach in that area looks awesome though (a lot better than Club Pollentia) and maybe closer to other restaurants?. I'm traveling solo so I'm trying to stick to about $60/nt and stay at a place that I can meet some people to train with.

That's awesome you saw Frank. I hope to see him too if he's still there.
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think is the best way to travel from the mainland of Spain to Mallorca and then to the north coast of Mallorca? A ferry followed by a bus? I'll have my bike with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a car both times I went, but did run into Pollenca a couple of times - its about 2miles, Alcudia is abut the same distance in the other direction. You could cycle it easily though if you take lights and don't overdo el vino colapso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powder1538 wrote:
What do you think is the best way to travel from the mainland of Spain to Mallorca and then to the north coast of Mallorca? A ferry followed by a bus? I'll have my bike with me.

I've only ever flown into Mallorca. A ferry would be convenient. I've never taken a bus to the north coast, but I a would assume that there are, but I couldn't tell you for sure if there are any. The north side is beautiful, but I've only ever stayed in Palma. Is your bike going to be boxed or are you going to assemble it on the mainland? The hotel you are staying at might have some form of transportion from the port.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance is that you?
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [jdirrrty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdirrrty wrote:
Lance is that you?

Only if Lance hasn't seiorusly trained in at least 5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming out of alcudia harbor is a joy with a wetsuit in march to may. Biking is awesome.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YaHey wrote:
powder1538 wrote:

I've only ever flown into Mallorca. A ferry would be convenient. I've never taken a bus to the north coast, but I a would assume that there are, but I couldn't tell you for sure if there are any. The north side is beautiful, but I've only ever stayed in Palma. Is your bike going to be boxed or are you going to assemble it on the mainland? The hotel you are staying at might have some form of transportion from the port.

I'm traveling with my bike using a travel case. Otherwise I would probably just fly into Mallorca. American Airlines is charging me $150 each way but it will be worth it to have my road bike with me on the trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [jdirrrty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdirrrty wrote:
Lance is that you?

I would be flying in my private jet with my massage therapist and bike mechanic if I was!
Quote Reply
Re: Girona and Mallorca in 2 weeks - tri training [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Swimming out of alcudia harbor is a joy with a wetsuit in march to may. Biking is awesome.

Nice! I may be staying right there and I'm bringing my wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I arrived in Girona 2 days ago and rode twice. Epic cycling here! Road surfaces are very smooth, very little traffic in the hils/mountains, lots of routes and the drivers are kind.

Rode up Mt Rocacorba today which is a nice 11km ascent with great views for a total of 50mi. Here is the map:
http://www.strava.com/...alunya-spain-2878759

I would highly recommend renting a bike from Dave at Bike Breaks Girona Cycling Center. Very nice guy and knows all the pros that live in Girona. He also sells kits of pro riders that live in Girona. Dave is a pro mountain biker and owner of the bike shop. I was going to bring my own bike but American Airlines charges $300 and you have to pay more to fly with it to Mallorca (I believe that´s an additional 100 euros).

I fly to Mallorca for 6 nights on Thursday but now wish I was staying in Girona longer. The Jewish quarter (a historic area of Girona) is really cool... very old stone buildings with very narrow streets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for bike hire in Mallorca, try Sport Bequi in Port d'Alcudia, they used to drop off and collect bikes included within their (then) reasonable prices. Been to Mallorca many times (in snow this year, over Puig Major in freezing sleet, the week after the stage was cancelled), but only hired once, normally take my own.
Unlike most of mainland Spain, Mallorca has a massive and brilliant network of tiny roads with mostly great surfaces - have fun out there, i'm envious :)

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply