Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Completely agree. 7 monuments, and they are all cobbled, one with climbs, one dead flat. I made the trip this year and we rode every cobbled section in PR and every cobbled climb in the Flanders region. They are just different from any other type of ride.

Sure Boonen has won lot of non cobbled races, but take away the cobbles and he is a great but not legendary rider.

Agreed, but the cobbled classics define the sport of one day road racing in Europe so nobody could be legendary without winning them so it's a moot point.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't really restricting it to just one day racing. Lemond, Armstrong, Indurain, and really lots of others are legends without winning cobbled classics. Actually I'd love to know who has won the most Monuments without a Flanders or PR.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not saying he did but I do agree with Jack; why would they hired a team doctor with such a reputation...?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because there are roughly 50 pro road cycling teams, a bunch of mtb teams, lots or national federations, plenty of independant coaching and medical practices and not many great Drs that specialize in cycling.

I think Drs and DS and owners should be banned when they have been deemed to be in charge of "out of control" programs. But until they are banned, its hard to blame a team from hiring someone with a blotch on their record. look at how quickly Garmin went from originally stating zero tolerance, to accepting riders who had doped previously. Its just not possible to field a competitive Pro tour team with a zero tolerance approach.

Heck in the US at least Dr Lim is considered to be an authority and a "clean" advocate, yet he was fooled by Landis (not the brightest or most sophisticated guy out there). Sould Lim be unemployable because one of his riders tested positive?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't go calling Sean Kelly "the english commentator", even if you just mean the language. The man is Irish, not English, and he'd take fierce issue with being called english...
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Sean Kelly should be so lucky to be an Englishman, sadly, he'll just have to settle for being a Brit ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanceman wrote:
Don't go calling Sean Kelly "the english commentator", even if you just mean the language. The man is Irish, not English, and he'd take fierce issue with being called english...

I think the attributions got a little messed up here, because that's exactly what I was getting at when I said

"There's a good chance he would be offended by being called English ..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I wasn't really restricting it to just one day racing. Lemond, Armstrong, Indurain, and really lots of others are legends without winning cobbled classics. Actually I'd love to know who has won the most Monuments without a Flanders or PR.

I looked it up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Classic_cycle_races

...and the answer is Costante Girardengo with 9 total (tied for 3rd overall behind Eddy w/ 19 and R.dV w/ 11), although his wins were from 1918-28. Somewhat more recently is Bartali w/ 7, mostly in the 1940s. In 'modern' times (since I've been old enough to remember, early '80s), it's Paolo Bettini, w/ 5.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks 9 is a lot, I think that back then a lot of riders didn't travel as much, so he may not have ridden the cobbled classics much.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, guess I missed that...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Quinner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this from the Omega Pharma-Quick Step cycling team's YT channel.

Great viewpoints and commentary...enjoy!

Episode 7: Paris Roubaix
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Paris-Roubaix [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warning: that video will make you *think* you can attack your Thursday night group ride from 52km out and ride solo.

Quote | Reply
Lou3000 wrote:
That Felt looks amazing, but where is Felt's classics frame? I know the Z is the more "endurance" styled bike, but is it going to see a F style upgrade with BB30 and new tube shapes?

Either way, I wouldn't put my money on anyone for the race. Boonen goes in as the favorite, but its been cold and wet and there may be some rain. With that, and some big riders out, it is going to be a great year for the nobodies. Anyone's race.

You can buy the F1 PR now in very limited quantities. They are in stock and shipping (in North America only) now.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next