Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
A bit off topic, but as much as I don't worry too much about "the Rules", I am interested in the etiquette of riding 808s on my S2. Lot's of guys are riding 404s on their roadies in group rides, but I only have one set of "good" wheels (the 808s) - and I bought them for my tri bike.

I prefer them to the wheels that came with my S2, but is it nutty to ride a road bike with 808s? In theory there is no reason not to - the S2 is all about aero and the race tires I have on the 808s are nicer to ride than on my other wheels. I live in flat land so weight is not an issue. I am a good bike handler so there is no safety issue to the group. What do you guys think? (to be clear - I know enough to know that aero helmets are an outright "no")

I ride my 2010 808s on my road bike daily. Mine are clinchers though, I probably wouldn't ride them daily if they were tubulars just because of the hassle of flatting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Porsche has invested a lot in this "don't keep it in the garage" mindset. If wheel companies make a solid product and are smart, they'd do something similar.

Porsche | Everyday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9c_V9ocyg

Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [sebemfo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's more fun to drive your Porsche around than to leave it in the garage. Which is why I ride the 808s daily: more fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole wrote:

dudes on tricked out bikes more often than not lack something

Or perhaps they enjoy cool equipment and/or it's not a meaningful cost to them (comparatively) and therefore is worth it to them...
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [Voice of Reason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's okay matey... you can rejoice now and you can fill up your assos bibs also
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [Voice of Reason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I roll an 808 clincher 100% of the time b/c that's where my PowerTap is. For the race day psychological gain:
- I pull off those heavy, slow Gatorshell tires and put on some fast rubber. Boost #1
- My legs don't feel like they are completely filled with lead because I haven't pounded them like crazy the week of the race. That's really a huge gain by itself. Boost #2.

But...to each his own.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [greenmtnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the only bike racer I know who rides race wheels every day is also a Zipp rep. even the guys who get team wheels don't ride them every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha

I say the same thing about the guys in trucks that are jacked up off the ground 10 feet with super loud exhausts

to the OP: ride your stinking flashpoint rear in training. even on easy days.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [wvtrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wvtrigeek wrote:
hahahaha

I say the same thing about the guys in trucks that are jacked up off the ground 10 feet with super loud exhausts

to the OP: ride your stinking flashpoint rear in training. even on easy days.

There's no such thing as easy days: THIS IS SLOWTWITCH

oh, and btw
I'll ride your mom everyday

Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:
related topic....

OK, so based on all this, if you were about to build a bike (this is me) and have reviewed the above reasons for vs. against AND have concluded you want ONE set of wheels which would you pick ?

Criteria:
- dont want to look like a poser, fairly new at this
- are a 20mph guy, who rides on good roads in hilly country terrain
- not too worried about cost but refer to #1 above
- want a high performance and high tech wheel, a desire to 'do it right'
- bonus points for 'cool factor' (shiny glossy carbon etc)
- must be durable enough for routine use for a guy training for 1/2 Ironman

404's ? Mavic carbon ?

HED H3s. Bombproof. Spend about $800 - $1000 used and ride them everyday.

fyi if anyones interested I have a rear for sale in the classifieds :)

Quote | Reply
I've ridden 'race wheels' everyday for the last 5 years. Of course I'm not much of a racer I guess.

There are also quite a few in my local group that sport carbon most of the year. To each their own.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Last edited by: Ti T'war: Feb 8, 12 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: Ride your race wheels everyday, not just races [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well you'll notice I said 'bike racer' not triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next