Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP...Average power or Normalized Power
Quote | Reply
Allen and Coggins FTP test (pg. 47 Training and Racing with a Power meter) has you finding your average 20 minute power.

However, page 122 discusses Intensity Factor and states; Normalized power is a better measure of training intensity than average power. (Which, makes sense.)

So, I pose the question. Why not use normalized power (from an FTP test) as the metric to which we base work out zones?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [Pfalcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are doing a solo 20min test, shouldn't they be exactly the same? Or did you do it on intense rollers or something with steep downhills?

Quote | Reply
If you are doing the tests right (as a sustained effort), NP and AP will be very, very close. Pick one. It will not make that big of a difference.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The definition of FTP is based on Normalized Power.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [Logan D Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Logan D Dog wrote:
If you are doing the tests right (as a sustained effort), NP and AP will be very, very close. Pick one. It will not make that big of a difference.

Makes sense! Thanks (new to power)

I was looking at examples from various ride distances and difficulties. I was not taking in to consideration the sustained effort that the test is. If there is a large difference in #'s , you blew the test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The intent is to find what power you can work at for the desired time. If it is 20 minutes for you, then the effort should be consistent for that 20 minutes. I would expect AP and NP to be well within 5% on an FTP test. Now, that does mean you have to pick your routes, etc. very carefully to get the required time (and distance) in with no stopping or dealing with traffic.

Good luck. FTP testing is not for the faint of heart.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem arises when people state their FTP from a local crit race that they did and think that it would be the same for a steady-state effort. As long as the test is a continuous effort, the differences should be minimal.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that AC is very vocal in stating that it's *average* power for a 1 hour TT effort - not normalized power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a 20 minute FTP test, you won't be coasting. So NP will equal AP, or be very, very close to it. Usually within 5 watts. Less if you do the test on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Authority wrote:
The definition of FTP is based on Normalized Power.

I don't think that's right.

The definition of FTP is based on the average power you can hold for an hour.

Here are the ways to determine FTP, from worst to best.

1) from inspection of a ride file.
2) from power distribution profile from multiple rides.
3) from blood lactate measurements (better or worse, depending on how it is done).
4) based on normalized power from a hard ~1 h race.
5) using critical power testing and analysis.
6) from the power that you can routinely generate during long intervals done in training.
7) from the average power during a ~1 h TT (the best predictor of performance is performance itself).

Soruce: http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/...ven-deadly-sins.html

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pfalcon wrote:
Allen and Coggins FTP test (pg. 47 Training and Racing with a Power meter) has you finding your average 20 minute power.

However, page 122 discusses Intensity Factor and states; Normalized power is a better measure of training intensity than average power. (Which, makes sense.)

So, I pose the question. Why not use normalized power (from an FTP test) as the metric to which we base work out zones?

On Wattage, AC has posted a few times that he tried to get Peaksware to disable NP for durations of <20 minutes. There is still potentially too great of a contribution from AWC in a 20 minute test for some riders.

AC also has disavowed the test method in the book as not being from a portion that he (AC) wrote and saying that taking some fraction of a shorter duration test conveys a false sense of precision when it comes to determining FTP.

Someone else already posted the 7 deadly sins.

If you want to use NP to set your FTP, have at it. If you're doing long intervals, 2 x 20 or similar, you'll know pretty quickly if you set FTP too high or too low.
Last edited by: JollyRogers: Jan 4, 12 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The definition of Normalized Power is based on Average Power.

All of my FTP tests have been on a trainer and for all of them, NP is very close to AP.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [mtschnur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....on your trainer AP and NP will necessarily be the same...you have no variation of terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [Soarfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soarfeet wrote:
....on your trainer AP and NP will necessarily be the same...you have no variation of terrain.

While highly variable terrain may well lead one to have significantly different AP vs NP, the normalized power computation is actually agnostic in regards to terrain.

Hugh.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [Soarfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soarfeet wrote:

Zombie thread resurrection.

mtschnur wrote:
The definition of Normalized Power is based on Average Power.

While I know this statement is some years old, it's as incorrect today as it was then.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Last edited by: AlexS: Jul 5, 15 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: FTP...Average power or Normalized Power [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JollyRogers wrote:
Pfalcon wrote:

On Wattage, AC has posted a few times that he tried to get Peaksware to disable NP for durations of <20 minutes. There is still potentially too great of a contribution from AWC in a 20 minute test for some riders.

Would this be the case for 20 minute effort, close to or at FTP, which includes spikes of 60 seconds well above FTP every 5th minute?

Wouldn't that be an example of where NP does give a clearer idea of training intensity than average power?
Last edited by: Trev: Jul 6, 15 3:09
Quote Reply