Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Outside magazine article on Ironman
Quote | Reply
http://www.outsideonline.com/...ns/Heavy-Mettle.html

Can't wait for the "letters" section in the next edition about how skinny everyone looks and it can't be healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good article that hits the right notes.

Outside has always been one of my favorite magazines. There is always at least one or two outstanding articles each issue. I have had a subscription for a very long time:

Please check out the accompanying photo-essay here:

http://www.outsideonline.com/...d-Championships.html

There are some amazing candid photos in there , including (shameless plug) a great shot of para-triathlete Andre Kajlich, who Nineteen helped out this year with a new wetsuit. A different picture of Andre appears in the January print version, that is on newsstands and in circulation now.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Nine hundred and seventy Iron virgins here, only for a little while longer,” blasts the ever present emcee.

How can that be? I know there are some that qualify at 70.3s and a few lottery guys only do a 70.3 to validate but the math doesn't add up. That's 1/2 the field.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The picture of Rinny is...well...just plain hot.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's not uncommon, but I find the story about the woman with the strained marriage/job to be particularly alarming. I'll be sticking to Olympic distance for a while

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
The picture of Rinny is...well...just plain hot.

Not!!. Much prefer the picture of Cave.
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
“Nine hundred and seventy Iron virgins here, only for a little while longer,” blasts the ever present emcee.

How can that be? I know there are some that qualify at 70.3s and a few lottery guys only do a 70.3 to validate but the math doesn't add up. That's 1/2 the field.

Probably supposed to be Kona virgins...
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside has always been one of my favorite magazines. There is always at least one or two outstanding articles each issue.

I subscribed for years (even back when it was Mariah) and stopped years ago as it unfortunately became more and more yuptified. Outside's definition of adventure is staying in a nice hotel in a foreign country or taking a trip where everything is provided for you so you don't have to sweat or get your feet wet. I've seen a few issues since then and they still seem mostly driven by their advertisers but I guess this is the compromise (or sell out) they made to pay for the few excellent articles they do publish. I'll bet their winter issues will say way more about downhill skiing than they do about x-c skiing.

Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I subscribed for years (even back when it was Mariah) and stopped years ago as it unfortunately became more and more yuptified. Outside's definition of adventure is staying in a nice hotel in a foreign country or taking a trip where everything is provided for you so you don't have to sweat or get your feet wet. I've seen a few issues since then and they still seem mostly driven by their advertisers but I guess this is the compromise (or sell out) they made to pay for the few excellent articles they do publish. I'll bet their winter issues will say way more about downhill skiing than they do about x-c skiing.

Indeed, that is a trend. I have noted that to. Adventure is what you make it - means different things to different people. Some want all-mod-cons while others prefer to rough-it and really live on the edge. Look at retail in stores like REI or MEC in Canada, you have a range of gear for, and the people who for some, their adventure is climbing K2 while for others it's walking the dog in the local park on a cold blustery day!

Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [ian10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ian10 wrote:
I know it's not uncommon, but I find the story about the woman with the strained marriage/job to be particularly alarming. I'll be sticking to Olympic distance for a while

Yeah I'm with you. Not sure why people would let it get to that point. Is Ironman really that much more important than the IMPORTANT things in life?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Because marathons have been ruined by people who think it’s fine to walk."

Best line ever! And yeah Rinny and Leanda are hot!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Outside has always been one of my favorite magazines. There is always at least one or two outstanding articles each issue.

Honestly, every month I skip right over the "adventure" or travel section or whatever they call it, as most of it is as you say and not my cup of tea (they do still have some pretty cool stuff occasionally - usually also skip the gear and fitness sections too). But I read probably every long article in every issue, and the writing is stellar. Despite Outside's promoted destinations, there is still a ton of great content
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Because marathons have been ruined by people who think it’s fine to walk."

Hey, Dev - is that writer talking down to runners? The nerve! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha while I think everyone agrees it is ok to walk "during" a marathon, IMO walking an entire marathon isn't. And if you walk the entire marathon in an IM then you simply blew it on the bike and have a poor race strategy ;)

Note: Some of that should be in pink, you decide ;)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's up with A.R.s neck?

Also, I like that he sleeps with his bike.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [ratherbeswimmin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that makes sense. not enough sleep last night to think about it
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's up with A.R.s neck?

Poor fit on his swim skin? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are people seeing this stuff? Neck? Smokin' Rinny? Is this material in the magazine only?
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Honestly, every month I skip right over the "adventure" or travel section or whatever they call it, as most of it is as you say and not my cup of tea (they do still have some pretty cool stuff occasionally - usually also skip the gear and fitness sections too). But I read probably every long article in every issue, and the writing is stellar. Despite Outside's promoted destinations, there is still a ton of great content

There is enough to keep me as a paid subscriber... but I really want to know who stays in those crazy expensive yuppy resorts that actually reads the magazine? I'd love to see info on their subscribers....
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
click view photos in the upper right
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [ian10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I have been meaning to post something on that all week, but "work" has been in the way. I searched her time and she finished like 37th ish. Fast but not enough to throw everything away for.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've subscribed to Outside since sixth grade. I was excited when I discovered that a swim friend, Hodding Carter, writes for them (he wrote the article about canoeing the Mississippi; a few years ago, he wrote one about trying to qualify for Olympic Trials as a 40+ yr old).

I miss Mark Jenkins' Hard Way column. That used to be in every issue and it's not anymore.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Photo gallery is not all that great. The second Raelert picture - what's on his neck? Scar? Tattoo?
And where are all their compression socks ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Outside magazine article on Ironman [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said there was 970 Kona virgins here doing the race, not first time Ironmen. Emcee guy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next