Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing
Quote | Reply
Waited weeks to watch today's showing of Kona on NBC and I though the story line/pitch was very weak.

We are living in a very exciting time for triathlon and I feel like NBC fell flat on telling the story.

Also sick of hearing about some random teacher/resturant guy/fat person who got into Kona because..,?!

Kona should be for Pros/AG athletes who qualify no lottery/no 12 IMs and your in/ no I got fat eatting twinkies now I lost weight and I'm in...

Just my thoughts. Flame away
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [Newyorkfan21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:

..sick of hearing about some random teacher/resturant guy/fat person who got into Kona because..,?!

I'm with ya. There seems to be more of these human interest stories every year. Good for them and all that, but really, who freakin' cares? I wanna watch the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised the usual torr ent warning hasn't gone out or does whats his name not care anymore.

We in Australia have to wait a few more weeks before we see this but the ESPN Aussies Abroad version was 9/10

Shame it was no good.

Did Crowie still win or was it edited so someone else won it?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
Newyorkfan21 wrote:

..sick of hearing about some random teacher/resturant guy/fat person who got into Kona because..,?!

I'm with ya. There seems to be more of these human interest stories every year. Good for them and all that, but really, who freakin' cares? I wanna watch the race.

You could have...October 8th. Ironmanlive.com.

The vast majority of public perception of IM is not that it's a race...it's an event. It's a bucket list item. Very few actually race it.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. That was thoroughly disappointing. Way too much slow motion and next to zero coverage of the actual racing between the pros. I think this years coverage hit a new low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waaahhhhhhh!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [caius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still a joy to have the race on network TV....I'm glad we rate that high at least. I have to say there was a really odd, tangential moment that came and went without explanation: near the end a guy crosses the line and Troutwig explains that this guy just won a million dollar bet with rapper 50cent that he couldn't finish the race. That was so bizarre!

Also, just a question here...Julie Dibbens, it was announced on the broadcast, was said to have won the bike prime but I was under the impression that one had to cross the finish line to win a prime. Julie's foot injury forced her to retire early this year. Anyone? Bueller?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even some of the human interest stories were lame this year. Some rich restaurant guy gets more face time than a double amputee...?! If NBC is going to go that route because that makes it "interesting to the general public" fine, but at least pick some more dramatic stories. Enough with the fatties and old guys!!!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [HTFU_925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ this +1 ^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:
Waited weeks to watch today's showing of Kona on NBC and I though the story line/pitch was very weak.

We are living in a very exciting time for triathlon and I feel like NBC fell flat on telling the story.

Also sick of hearing about some random teacher/resturant guy/fat person who got into Kona because..,?!

Kona should be for Pros/AG athletes who qualify no lottery/no 12 IMs and your in/ no I got fat eatting twinkies now I lost weight and I'm in...

same complaints are brought up every year about the coverage and the race. Don't watch the NBC coverage if you feel that way. And when it moves to CBS/ABC/PBS/MSNBC/FoxNews .. don't watch it there either. It's much better watching in person... or go qualify or toss your name in the lottery hat.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have any of you guys watched the youtube videos of the abu dhabi international triathlon coverage? I really like the way they cover that triathlon I wish they did it the same way for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but will tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest disappointment are errors in easy fact-checking and the one I picked out this year is when Al Trautwig said that most of the top swimmers get out of the water in just over 40 minutes, 10 minutes off, oops!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is cool that 80 year old dudes are still game, but watching bent over old futs crashing into barriers and falling down all over the course was just a tad disturbing to me. That can't be good for you or the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I thought this years was the best one since '04.

The human interest stories were there but seemed to get less air time this year. Pro coverage lasted until 1:10 into the show.
Seems like the video and music directors stepped it up this year. I really liked the extended underwater scenes and music. The bike and run was more of the same as previous years though.

Call me crazy but I was fascinated and shocked seeing the old guys face planting into the asphalt, taking out spectators and busting traffic barriers!

Unfortunately we still had to endure one Road ID and Ford "advertorial".

That's why I wear my Road I.D. while driving my Ford with Sync technology
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
It is cool that 80 year old dudes are still game, but watching bent over old futs crashing into barriers and falling down all over the course was just a tad disturbing to me. That can't be good for you or the sport.

If youre 80 does it really matter any more, hell you just gotta go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
G-man wrote:

Dude, a broken hip at 80 is basically a death sentence. Not exactly something I want to see potentially happen in the kona coverage.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand what you're saying about broken hips, but I doubt that someone (an 80 year old) who does IMs would suffer the same fate as someone who is a typical 80 year old.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pito00 wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
G-man wrote:

Dude, a broken hip at 80 is basically a death sentence. Not exactly something I want to see potentially happen in the kona coverage.

Is that still true for say the fittest man out there who is over 80 years old? People do age differently and not all 80 year olds are equal.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newyorkfan21 wrote:

I am 'sort of' thinking those who do 12 ironmans are pretty committed types and so that is a good ploy by WTC to keep encouraging that group that is really into. I have done 3 irondistance races and no ironman events and am thinking it would be kind of neat to get to Kona by building up doing that many races (it seems a good ploy to keep some endurance athlete customers from the non-ironman brand event organsiers).
Can't really see the point of some who rate the Kona age group race as being of such high importance that it should be so exclusive. But I guess those that are caught up in the hype do end up being part of the Kona experience. Personally I am very interested in the top 3 in any age group but if the 20th guy takes 9hrs or 11hrs, its not so important. Congrats to all the fast guys but really it is just their personal goal. Top 20 or so in the mens elite and top 5 or so of the women is also very interesting to know of also.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just finished watching it and I have to say that the footage of the older guys falling over was a little bit disturbing. I understand that there is that side to Ironman and pushing yourself but it was a bit unnecessary in my opinion. And zero coverage of Tara from Biggest Loser, which I was surprised by.

I also checked on the woman they said was the oldest female finisher - she was the same age as Madonna Buder, who did it in 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [mitchrapp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mitchrapp wrote:
My biggest disappointment are errors in easy fact-checking and the one I picked out this year is when Al Trautwig said that most of the top swimmers get out of the water in just over 40 minutes, 10 minutes off, oops!

That one pissed me off too. I was watching with my kids and had just asked them how long the swim
was and how long it took them. I then gave then the low-down and seconds later the f**ing commentator
says they do it in 40 minutes. WTF. Made me look like an idiot. On the plus side, I've never mentioned
doing a tri to my kids, figured they didn't need to be pushed to do my hobby, but the 7 and 8 year old both
started talking about wanting to do a kids triathlon after watching the Kona coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [joker70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joker70 wrote:
Really? I thought this years was the best one since '04.

The human interest stories were there but seemed to get less air time this year. Pro coverage lasted until 1:10 into the show.
Seems like the video and music directors stepped it up this year. I really liked the extended underwater scenes and music. The bike and run was more of the same as previous years though.

Call me crazy but I was fascinated and shocked seeing the old guys face planting into the asphalt, taking out spectators and busting traffic barriers!

Unfortunately we still had to endure one Road ID and Ford "advertorial".

That was what I thought. Usually I hate the coverage and the human interest but this year it drew me in. The 50 year old fighting stage 4 colon cancer and still training??? wow. This year actually made me think MAYBE to an IM.....maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC viewing of Kona Disappointing [ponyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they showed tara several times, including showing her finish...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather go for a training run in the pouring rain then watch that crap on TV.

15 years from now when i'm 80 you will not be seeing me crashing into barriers to finish an IM, people watching that show should not use that as an example of how you should finish a race. Long before I get to that point in a race I just pull over and call it it a day.

Calling it quits, finding your wife, give her a big hug then go out to dinner walking upright that sets a better example.. Then get ready for next season.

Of course watching me walk to dinner with my wife won't get good TV ratings.

Ron W.
Last edited by: rjsurfer: Dec 11, 11 5:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next