Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finally got my sub-20 5k
Quote | Reply
After I ran a 20:08 while sick at the Turkey Trot last week, my wife said to me, "Is there a 5k you could run next week after you're feeling better [to make up for not achieving your goal]?" As it turned out, there was.

Of course, it was in 12-degree (fahrenheit) weather with snow and ice scattered throughout the course. But hey, a 19:56 is a 19:56, so I'll take it. I was also the first finisher over the age of 19 (I'm 32), and fourth place overall. I guess all the fast runners decided to stay home. Go figure.

Please forgive the humblebrag. I'm a little new to running, so this is sort of a big deal for me. It's also a victory that I managed to do it on less than 10 MPW of running.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [Lime Crush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well done hitting your goal is hitting your goal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under-20 5k without training, that's pretty impressive!

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Under-20 5k without training, that's pretty impressive!

Thanks, Paulo. That's what I keep telling myself: "Imagine what would happen if I actually put the effort in."

In all fairness, I was doing a few hours of cycling as well until the cold weather moved in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! I had to actually train to hit sub 20. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job!

My 2012 goal is to do a 20:00 5k but I'm a long way off so lots of training for me still

I'm competing against my current fitness level, and planning to kick my a**!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [IamRobot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamRobot wrote:
My 2012 goal is to do a 20:00 5k but I'm a long way off so lots of training for me still

Good luck with your goal this year. Drop me a PM if you want to chat training sometime. Heaven knows, maybe something I was doing can help you shave a second or two off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job :0) still trying myself.

Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
Great job :0) still trying myself.

Thanks, and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heaven knows, maybe something I was doing can help you shave a second or two off.

You weren't doing anything, so how could you have possibly been doing something that might help him ;-)

Congrats on the PR. Sign up for the 100 runs in 100 days challenge come the middle of the month and go break 19 in the spring!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally broke my 20:00 duck today after about three years of trying - plenty of 20:0xs but now my PB is a much better 19:47.
It was high 30s temp though and no wind which suits me down to the ground. A little bit of interval training over the last few weeks certainly helped..
Was still only 4th M45-49 though - 1:20 less would have seen me squeak into 3rd place..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work. I'm working on this myself. Starting to think I have no hope in this endurance stuff. Anyway, having fun trying. Being a little larger, I tend to do a lot worse when temps are higher. I find my performances much better when the temperature is ~30 F.

Just wondering. What do you weigh?
Last edited by: elpete: Dec 3, 11 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwBkRn44 wrote:
Heaven knows, maybe something I was doing can help you shave a second or two off.

You weren't doing anything, so how could you have possibly been doing something that might help him ;-)

Congrats on the PR. Sign up for the 100 runs in 100 days challenge come the middle of the month and go break 19 in the spring!

Good point. :)

I'm not certain my skeleton could take 100 runs in 100 days! (I injure more easily than I care to admit.) That said, it could be fun to try. I'd planned on focusing on the bike (again) for most of this next year, but I do have one uphill running race on the calendar. I dunno, maybe I'll give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elpete wrote:
Nice work. I'm working on this myself. Starting to think I have no hope in this endurance stuff. Anyway, having fun trying. Being a little larger, I tend to do a lot worse when temps are higher. I find my performances much better when the temperature is ~30 F.

Just wondering. What do you weigh?

My wife just informed me that our scale is off by four pounds, and then I saw your question.

I think I'm right around 130 pounds (at 5'7" for a BMI of around 20.7, I believe). I'm sure that has something to do with why I pulled this off with such low mileage.

I don't race well in the heat either, though. That might have something to do with having grown up in Canada.

Dah - congrats, man! Don't you just feel like you have a monkey off your back now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice Job Lime, keep up the good work.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats man! Maybe if you do 20 a week you can be sub 18:30!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you have to break 19.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep it up and the improvements will continue. Sub 20 is proud moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work! Sure you could go even faster with warmer weather...

Did you carry your own water and how much? In those kind of temps for a 5k, I prefer to carry my own water, several bottles which I microwave before leaving home so they don't freeze while I'm out there... Never can trust the aid stations in cold weather 5ks, the water could freeze...

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got my sub-20 5k [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a bottle of water in my car (which I strategically parked in the sunlight), and I sucked down a little water right after I downed a Gu and then again right before the start. I'd been sipping water all morning, and I probably visited the bathroom a dozen times in the two hours before the race. They had one aid station, and I didn't even think about stopping at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to close out 2011. Now, let's see a sub 40 10k by March.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I did 19:58 on my own measured via Garmin for the firdt time last week, and it felt pretty good. I didnt do it on 10mpw though, more like 35 or 40. Im hoping once I lose 8-10 more lbs and drop into a single digit body fat percentage sub 20 wont make me throw up. :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two years ago I though sub 20mins would be impossible, (22:53PB) now I'm running high 16's. Keep training, keep the consistency and you'll be amazed how much improvement is in you. Well done!

Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
Way to close out 2011. Now, let's see a sub 40 10k by March.

On only 15 miles a week!

No seriously, I've got some things I want to do with the bike this summer, so that's where my next goals are. I still have some fantasies about sub-60-minute sprint triathlons lingering out there somewhere. So the 10k may have to wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine with a 19:36 in September, began focussing on the bike more and lost a bit speed on the run. I recently ran in a 3-race series (1 race per week, same course) and went 20:19, 20:09, 20:02. The 20:02 was this morning so I'm bummed, next race is at the end of February so now I have 2+ months to think about a couple of seconds...damnit. Congrats to you, now that the monkey is off your back, maintain what you have (unlike me) and shoot for under-19 by summer!