Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Shiv extension options - help requested
Quote | Reply
Hi, all!
I've read about how one can use other extensions on their Shiv (TT models or older Shivs), and I might need to go this route. The reason is the final bend of the supplied extensions which turns the extension back to horizontal is right where I need to mount my shifter. Since it's not straight, I won't be able to fit the shifter's expander plug.

I recently realized the 2012 Shiv TT won't accept the PRO Missile Evo stem, so my plan of swapping out for the Missile Evo stem/bars/extension won't work. I'm in the position of having to try alternate extensions.

Does anyone know which extensions can be mounted to the Shiv's holders (if one goes through the melting & epoxy route)? In particular, I'm looking for a bar that will have a slight up-tick so that my hands are level with the pads (w/o spacers). I'd prefer not to use a completely flat bar, but perhaps it will come to that.

Something like the Missile Evo extensions would be nice, where they are flat then angle upwards. I could deal with something that has an early curve (close to the bars), or something that I can cut from the end to around a length of 20cm and still have a straight section for attaching the expander plugs.

(Why not just shifters a few cm out? Key issues here are my position being subject to UCI regulations and using Di2 shifters.)

Many thanks for any options I can explore.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv extension options - help requested [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adding a link to a pic of the Pro Missile extensions, so you can see that style.

Unfortunately, the PRO Missile's required steerer diameter is larger than the Shiv's steerer. I saw that the pro teams made a custom stem instead of using the stock stem, which I thought was for the purpose of running Di2, but it seems that it was also required due to the steerer issues.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ing-challenge/188039
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv extension options - help requested [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Shiv's steerer is 1" and the Pro Missile is made for a 1 1/8" steerer you may be able to use a standard shim? If not, maybe some custom shim?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv extension options - help requested [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
If the Shiv's steerer is 1" and the Pro Missile is made for a 1 1/8" steerer you may be able to use a standard shim? If not, maybe some custom shim?

thanks!

yes, this is a possibility. trying to figure out other specs on the pro missile bars/extensions. information is a little scarce.

i'm trying to figure out exactly how far (horizontally) the ends of the extensions are from the center of the first hole for pads/spacers. i know the extensions can be cut from the back, but i wonder if anything can be shaved off from the front. (more specifically, i'm curious about length from the tip of the extension to the center of the pad in the most forward position.)

i contact PRO for the specs but they have only been able to give estimates of total length (~42cm) and length of the adjustable section (~6-7").

thanks to anyone who can provide info -- especially someone who owns these bars and can take the actual measurement.
Quote Reply