Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace?
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about biking the Natchez Trace Parkway in the spring. It is a 444-mile national parkway from Natchez, MS. to Nashville, TN. If you have done it, any suggestions? Did you stay at campgrounds or motels? If so, which ones? Any good guide books or info sources? Also, anyone interested in joining me?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done it but the thought has crossed my mind as well. Let me know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done the whole thing. Soloed about 1/2 of it 15 years ago from Nashville south and back. Camped 1st night, hotel 2nd, camp 3rd. Wasn't many towns along the way but a very pleasant ride. These days I would vote for credit card touring :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most folks seem to do it the other way, ending in Natchez. Don't know if it's because of the stops or elevation profile.

I'm planning to do it in the next couple of years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode the full length in 2005. We stayed in hotels overnight. There were about 12 of us. We had a sag wagon. I'm looking for my notes.. If I still have them them, then I'll post another message.

A great early spring ride for those of us from northern parts. Quiet roads. Very little traffic. Few hills.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [Enduralete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live a couple miles from the trace in Jackson Ms. we ride the trace a good bit for training during warmer months. I would be interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my wife and a group rode most of it several years back. we had a sag wagon and camped out at three different places. it was a good time and a nice ride. we started in Nashville and headed south. if i remember right the traffic picked up a little after we got out of Tennessee. my only recommendation is that if you also decide to do a lake swim along the way, as we did, take more than a speedo...man the looks we got from the locals...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt I can get off of work for it... but when are you planning on doing this? I may be interested.

Sponsored by: http://www.92fifty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool link and information from The National Park Service:

http://www.nps.gov/...it/bicyclinghome.htm

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it out and back from Port Gibson, MS. We dry camped and resupplied at towns along the way. I would go early spring as we did it in mid June and just about died from the heat. I suppose if you stayed in hotels it would be nicer cause trying to sleep in a tent when it is about 85 degrees isn't that much fun and the skeeters are wicked anywhere there is water around. Great riding though. If you get a chance the Vicksburg National Military Park is off the Trace a ways, but is one of the neatest Military Battlefields in America. I promise you, you will never appreciate Tupelo , Mississippi more than when you arrive by bike via the Trace. I don't think I was ever more happy to see a town in my life than Tupelo. We stayed in a cheap hotel with real air conditioning and a real shower. That was thirty some years ago and I remember it like yesterday.

Total thread drift, but the Katy Trail across Missouri would be a fun one to look at too. I have not done it, but have seen parts of it.
Last edited by: G-man: Nov 6, 11 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Natchez Trace Parkway is very popular with cyclists. A great resource for cyclists is NatchezTraceTravel.com See their "Bicycling the Trace" information at: http://www.natcheztracetravel.com/biking-the-trace.html
where you will elevation maps, gas station and markets, pictures/maps/info for each of the 90+ historic and scenic stops on the Trace, cycling group photo galleries and YouTube videos, biking tips, bike shops, public transportation as well as info/pictures/descriptions/rates for B&Bs, cabins and cottages along and near the Trace.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [rfought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at starting on Sunday, March 11, 2011. I want to do it 4-6 days (that is 75 to 111 miles per day. When I get some more info in the next few weeks I will solidify my plans. I will let the ST Nation know our plans in case anyone wants to join the fun.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great ride, i trained on it for my cross Asia trip (3000 miles)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who just moved from Jackson MS to Columbia MO, I would do the Trace over the katy since the trace is completely paved. Katy is great to run on and I see alot of road bikes on it, but I'm not sure I would want to ride the whole thing on gravel on my road bike. I'd think I would also start in Nashville and head south instead of the other way around. I have done about 250 of the trace from just north east of Jackson TN south. It's def a great ride. Although the speed limit is only 55 at least around Jackson when traffic picks up people fly and they get close when they pass especially trying to squeeze by when a vehicle is coming from the opposite direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of car traffic in the Jackson/Ridgeland area and Tupelo. Other than those two areas car traffic is generally very light. Speed limit is 50 mph although a lot of cars go faster. 99% of cars are courteous to cyclists and pass in the opposite lane. In the Jackson/Ridgeland area there is a multi-use path/trail that is an alternative path that parallels the parkway for the worst 6 miles of car traffic area. For info, see:
http://www.natcheztracetravel.com/...-multi-use-path.html
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [rfought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think the worst part in the Jackson area is just past the entrance to the trail on the Res. If you go out from there the traffic is can be heavy. Motorhomes and trucks pulling boats can be the worst. I did enjoy camping along the way. We also had a sag wagon with us which helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone biked the entire Natchez Trace? [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well C, I was thinking the Katy on 34 mm tires, something about riding all day with no cars is way cool. The river views on the bluffs in Missouri are spectacular. The Trace is cool to look at and the moss hanging on the trees is very southern, but no cars all day every day is something. The rails to trails courses I have done have all been great, but this about the trace and it is all good as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Tupelo to Nashville in 3 days/2 nights a couple of years ago. Spent one night in Florence AL, the other near Hohenwald TN. Florence was really nice. A bit off the Trace, so it adds a few miles, but worth it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have more information in terms of good places to stay, things to do or see along the way, tips, etc.? My wife and I are currently planning to do it over the course of 7-8 days in early October. I am gonna ride the whole thing and she is gonna ride a little everyday but bring the car along. Would love any advice from those who have done it recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are on Facebook, look up "Nashville to Natchez for Team Red, White & Blue". There is a group that has done this the past two years with SAG to raise money for Team RWB.
Quote Reply