Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WWII bomber "Old 666"
Quote | Reply
Received this in an email this morning and should you have a few minutes to burn this is one amazing clip:

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/morrow.html
Quote Reply
Re: WWII bomber "Old 666" [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. There were some tremendously brave boys/men who fought and died in that war.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My uncle Gerry just died a few weeks ago at age 90. He was a navigator on a Lancaster bomber with the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII. They made more than a dozen missions and were shot at plenty but were fortunate to never take a direct hit.

R.I.P. uncle Gerry and thanks for your service.
Quote Reply
Re: WWII bomber "Old 666" [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My neighbors father was a waist gunner and broke both legs when they limped home all shot up after a crash landing. The pics he has are just amazing and it's obvious a few of them are boys, not men. I tip my hat to The Silent Generation. I bought a cup of java for a WWII vet at Starbucks maybe a year or so ago and just sat and listened, neat old salty dog.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Nov 3, 11 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. That was great.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe this was part of a series called "Greatest Air Battles" or somethng like that and was broadcast on the History Channel about ten years ago. That was when the History Channel had good programs that were actually about history rather than all these reality shows that they're showing now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was great!! Thanks for sharing.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom was born while my grandad was in Belgium in the spring/winter of '44, he was in the 666th artillery battalion, a non-commissioned artillery group out of Texas. He was a recon jeep driver and was wanded on a recon mission driving in front of th e group during th e battl elf the blue. Piece of shrapnel bounced of the side of is helmet...miraculously not penetrating is helmet..only knocking e shit out of him. He was concussed, and spent about a week in the hospital behind the. Lines. Was released and rejoined his group.

Like almost all of those vets he noevered talked about the war at all. I never personally talked to him about the war ever, thou my older cousin did near the end of His life. I'm lucky in that a member of ihis company in the 666th artillery battalion wrote a nice book about their companies war experiences. Reading it was an amazing look at about a 2 year period in my grandfathers life.

One ironic thing, my grandfather was quite religious, I wonder what he thought about fighting in the "666"th....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing video. Here is a picture of my maternal grandfather's B-24 Liberator crew. Army Air Corp, 450th Bomb Group. He was the navigator, and is the handsome devil in the lower left. I had the honor of meeting every single one of the men in this picture. The entire crew got together every 5 years, and as they got into their mid 60s and were retired, they met every year. About 3 months before he passed away, he finally brought out all his logs and records of each of his 50 missions. One of these days I have to get that book and put together a little project with Google Earth to see it visually.

I don't think there is a person on this earth that I will ever admire more than Grandpa.

Quote Reply