Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maui Ride Recs? Group Rides? OW Swims?
Quote | Reply
Heading to Maui next week and taking the roadie. We'll be staying in Kaanapali. Anyone have any good ride recommendations (scenic, safe, 20 - 80 miles) and more specifically know of any groups that ride from that area early AM?

And finally any good places for OW swims with a group?

Thanks.

Fred
Last edited by: sailnfast: Sep 5, 11 23:34
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Ride Recs? Group Rides? OW Swims? [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for the work day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the west maui loop is about 60 miles. Some of the roads are narrow. Lots of hills. Some traffic, mostly tourists going slow.

Riding up Haleakala is nice. It's only 36 miles up. Nice wide shoulders, smooth roads.

There are a couple bike shops over there (on the Kahului side) that can probably give you more info.

There's a group that does open water swims on the weekend, but I'm not sure any details. Google maui masters and they are really helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

bump ... thinking of going in jan. are there any regular good hard group rides?
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Ride Recs? Group Rides? OW Swims? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious to see if you get much response. I've made 10 trips to Maui (once post Kona, 9x for Xterra), I've been all over the island. Never saw a group ride and never saw a road that I thought would be good to ride on. All the roads are narrow and full of traffic without shoulders. Maybe I'm wrong, and that would be nice, but it sure don't have the roads I ride at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
West Maui loop and West Maui Cycles is close to where you will be. Great bike shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui Ride Recs? Group Rides? OW Swims? [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
West Maui loop and West Maui Cycles is close to where you will be. Great bike shop.

X2 on West Maui loop and West Maui Cycles. Got a great bike and the ride was incredible. Regarding the comment on no roads and a lot of traffic, the loop had little to no traffic and they were in pretty good shape. Did have one cyclist pass me but that was the extent of the riders I saw.

Enjoy your trip, Maui was awesome.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend both the west maui loop and the climb up Haleakala. Both are epic rides. If you climb Haleakala you also get to bomb down. I don't consider traffic on the west maui loop to be an issue. Most of what little traffic there is, is tourists driving very slow because they are scared of the narrow road. By far most of the tourist traffic is busy clogging the road to Hana on the other side of the island. You will typically see more cyclists on the Haleakala climb if you are looking for camaraderie. If forced to choose, I would choose Haleakala, but I also enjoy both climbing and bombing.

I enjoy swimming at DT Fleming beach. That's where the Xterra World Championship swim leg is held as well, at least since they moved it from south maui.
Last edited by: Roadhog: Nov 26, 14 11:22
Quote Reply