Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alpe d'Huez Triathlon
Quote | Reply
The Alpe d’Huez triathlon in France is a spectacular event and I would recommend it to anyone considering it.

I was one of 6 Canadians doing the event on July 27. A nice touch of the event is that they put all the Canadians together in transition zone so you can chat pre-race. I'm from Ottawa and the others were from Halifax, Calgary, Newfoundland and a couple from Montreal. There were many Yanks right beside us but we ignored them, haha, except for one stud from North Carolina who was the only competitor wearing a sleeveless wetsuit.

The distances are near half Ironman length at 2.2K swim, 115K bike and 22K run. What sets it apart from a Half IM is the bike course which features three tough climbs including Alpe du Grand Serre, Col d’Ornan and finishing the bike course with the famous climb up the 21 switchbacks of Alpe d’Huez. The road surface up the Alpe d’Huez was still covered with writing from the dramatic TdF stage finish there less than a week before.

The race is well organized with lots of good swag and aid stations featuring liqueurs (Creme de Menthe, Grenadine) and baguettes, cheese and sausage. There are even cheerleaders with pom poms greeting you as you exit the water. The race bibs all have flags indicating the racer’s nationality which makes a great conversation starter during the long climbs on the bike or walk breaks on the run (oops).

There were a few things about this race were making me very nervous in the days leading up to it including:

1. Cold water – The forecast water temp was 14 to 15C (58F) and it felt at least that cold. But some tips picked up on Slowtwitch worked – neoprene cap, nose plug and ear plugs. Looked super-dorky, but they were effective and the cold wasn’t really a factor.
  2. Hair-raising downhills – as one who still lacks confidence on steep descents, and with rain in the forecast, I was sweating bullets. But I learned that brakes still work well in the rain, and not being too proud to use them on the steeper downhills kept everything under control.
  3. Tough climbs – Another tip picked up on Slowtwitch was to have the right gearing, so I switched to the recommended 50/34 compact crank and 27/12 cassette. Stronger climbers don’t need as much gearing, but this was a great combination for me. I was very discouraged when an attempt to climb Huez a few days before required a couple of rest breaks to settle down a red-lining heart rate. But I forgot about the effect of race day adrenaline which allows you perform so much better on race day than in training. The climbs were awesome, and I was thankful for the many hill repeats done in training up the Keene hill in Lake Placid and in the Gatineau Park near my home town Ottawa.
This race was one I targeted just to finish and enjoy the experience, so from that point of view it was successful. Although I was in the bottom half of finishers, coming 6th of 20 in the super-geezer MV4 category (M55-59) was better than I expected. Hopefully I will be recovered in time for IMC later this week.

My wife and I were on a 3 week Europe holiday and rented a nice little chalet for a week in the town of Bourg d’Oisans at the foot of the Alpe d’Huez. Our kids (adults) joined us for the week, daughters with boyfriends, so it was a nice group of seven of us in the cosy two bedroom apartment. It was a great week, and we rented bikes for the five kids one day and they all completed the ride up Huez in widely varying times, proving that nearly anyone can do it if they take it slowly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Last edited by: bmas: Aug 23, 11 22:10
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent post!!!

I would love to do that. Kudos to you! Sounds like a great time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting, this race is definitely on my to-do list!

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I echo your comments on a great race; I've done it 3 times (one Olympic, 2 long distance) and it's definitely in my top three favorite triathlons. Fantastic scenary, good schwag and post-race food, super atmosphere, and very challenging course. I never noticed the rest stop liquors, however! And that descent down the Col d'Ornan is thrilling, to say the least. Congratulations on your finish, I'm in the same age group and it's very tough to go against the guys who train in the mountains.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the scenery on the entire route is amazing and the descent down Col d'Ornan is breathtaking. The road is cut into the mountainside with a cliff immediately on the right side of the road. No shoulder and a barrier that would be useless except to catapult the bike over the side. I was staying very close to the centreline and nowhere near the right side.

There was Grenadine at the aid station where the special needs bags were and Creme de Menthe at the aid station on the run on the back side of the Alpe 'Huez. I didn't think it would be wise to try any!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That event is on my list, great post!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. I was in heaven there last year; absolutely loved it. I certainly didn't see any booze at the aid stations, though. Perhaps new this year...
Congrats!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renorider - thanks and your post about this last year was my inspiration to sign up for the event. It was a fantastic post (ST post of the year?) with awesome photos and very detailed descriptions.

I'm nowhere near the triathlete that you are, but after reading your post the third time I made the decision to sign up. And I'm really glad I did so thanks for providing that inspiration!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[blushes]
Thank you, sir. Happy to have helped!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the power of Slowtwitch. We all help each other (usually!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:
Yes, the power of Slowtwitch. We all help each other (usually!)

Thanx for posting Bro
Great review

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool report! Grenadine isn't a liqueur though. It's a (very sweet) syrup. You can mix it with lemonade and beer (yes beer...) to make a Monaco.
The only way I'll drink beer is like that (waiting to hear from Otto and Andypants on that...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...except for one stud from North Carolina..."

Just for the record, this is redundant, as we are ALL studs from down here in North Carolina.

;^]

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Cool report! Grenadine isn't a liqueur though. It's a (very sweet) syrup. You can mix it with lemonade and beer (yes beer...) to make a Monaco.
The only way I'll drink beer is like that (waiting to hear from Otto and Andypants on that...)

As for the RR though. Very cool. This race is certainly on the to-do list. One day......

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [Frank Ferrari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank Ferrari wrote:
That event is on my list, great post!

Frank....which event is NOT ON YOUR LIST.....well, I guess that encompasses every event that is not on my list, which is almost none!!! OK, this is a course that I have a chance at staying with you head to head!!!

Bruce, thanks for the report....how trashed were you after this race?....wondering if I can pull off the ADH + Tremblant double 3 weeks apart. However, the 15C water scares me!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:
Renorider - thanks and your post about this last year was my inspiration to sign up for the event. It was a fantastic post (ST post of the year?) with awesome photos and very detailed descriptions.

I'm nowhere near the triathlete that you are, but after reading your post the third time I made the decision to sign up. And I'm really glad I did so thanks for providing that inspiration!

Bruce, I think Renorider's report last year was the single best contribution on ST "all time"
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev - Not that trashed - but I took it easy since I had IMC only 4 weeks after. I'll let you know after IMC if this was a smart idea or not. But a young buck like you would have no trouble recovering in 3 weeks.

Don't be afraid of the 15C water - the neoprene cap and plugs work wonders. And I'm a major cold water weenie.

Yes, I found Renorider's report awesome - I seriously read it several times and it was the inspiration to sign up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev
I also did the Alpe D'Huez long course this year, albeit slowly.
The water temp was not too bad - although I suspect I have more "padding" than you.
I took the advice from past participants - wore two normal swim caps and I think most importantly got in the water early - about 15 mins before the start.
I slowly waded in and then got my face under and then my whole head - before doing a warm up. After the initial shock by the time the gun went off I was fine
I live on the equator and this was my first wet suit swim - so I am in no way acclimatised to the cold....
It was a great race and to be honest the cold water was not an issue.
The cold was much more of an issue on the bike - especially on the descents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report!
Alpe d'Huez Triathlon is really amazing and Alps are so great you should stay a few more days on holidays. :)

Technique sets the upper limit to where your fitness will take you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bruce....good luck on the Alpe d'Huez + IMC double...awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent post ! I did it this year and it was such a terrific experience. The three things which you were apprehensive about frightened me too, though the most terrifying of all were the downhills ( well for me anyway). Mind you, the temperature of the lake this year was 13 degrees celcius. A friend of mine cramped really badly and two competitors were taken out of the water with hypothermia. Otherwise the weather on the day was fantastic, if a bit hot, but being from Malta I'm used to training in the heat anyway.
I suffered most during the run. Whether it was the altitude or the hills , or the six hours cycling before I don't know but I ended up walking some parts of the 22km run.
Would I do it again? Probably not. I'm looking for other challenges....any suggestions ??
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [carolz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats for completing the race Carolz. Yes, two years later the memories of this race are still fresh, and very fond - that's what makes these epic races so worth doing - much better than sitting around watching TV!

I know what you mean about looking for other challenges. There are so many of them out there! What about Norseman? There were some recent reports including a great one by Halvard, and it looks monumental and totally epic. As well, Slowman had a post last week about epic races that you should look up - many great ones were listed. Savageman looks to be universally respected.

Enjoy your search for challenges!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic! Thanks so much for the report Bruce. What a great experience for you. Finishing 6th in a division of European "old geezers" is not too shabby. You have been having a great year of racing.

Looking forward to seeing you in Whistler.

Congratulations again!
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon [carolz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITU sprint up the mountain in Kitz.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next