Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by STP [ In reply to ]
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update guys he got a great job , got married had a kid spent hours out on the road running and biking. Came home one day found his key did not work anymore and his best friend pounding his wife .

Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
Update guys he got a great job , got married had a kid spent hours out on the road running and biking. Came home one day found his key did not work anymore and his best friend pounding his wife .

at least he wasn't fired by his coach.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [Chris Athey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that making a living from triathlon as a full time job, is very unlikely.

Let us look at the math (might be off a bit but think it does not change the big picture) for coaching

Succesful top-notch coach to ambitous AGers (but not Sutton, Siri Lindley, C. Alexander etc): Probably 300 per month client on average depending on product, 30 clients is 9000 USD per month

Succesful "personal trainer to beginners/intermediates": 100 USD per client and while you could probably have many clients, probably not that much demand. Let us say 20. 2000 USD per month.

Unsuccessful top-notch coach: A couple of 1000s per month

Unsuccesful "personal trainer": 500 USD per month

So I guess the conclusion is that unless you become a succesful top-notch coach to ambitious AGers or a coach for pros where you can part of the price money, you are not going to make a living of being a coach.

I guess if you become a pro and make a bit of price money, have a coaching business, and do some product rep and then you might just be able to make a living if you live modest. I think that is in line with what you see if you look around (unless you are a top notch pro who manages to build a business around your name)
Quote Reply
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard someone once say you could make a lot of money in triathlon: Go to 10 triathlons and steal a SHIV, Cervelo or IA. You'd have some travel costs and would have to part them out, but could get $65,000 a year (plus travel experience). Longevity would be an issue though.

Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He thanked his best friend and hit the pool for a few more hours.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Athey wrote:
I am 20 years old, and have been racing for 5 years. I've learned a ton during those years about everything multisport,from running to how to swim properly(even if I'm working on that myself still). I don't think anyone would hire a 20 year old coach, but is there a way I could make money in multisport. I was thinking of leading camps or advising people before races, IDK sky is the limit. Any ideas?
I haven't read every post but the one suggesting to start as a personal trainer sounds very much like me. I trained and raced a lot, won some here and there...Getting hired as a trainer was very much helped by the tri resume as my experience as a trainer was next to zero. I worked as a trainer for 15 years, loved it and made lots of money and met lots of people with whom I am still in touch. It is a sort of network that helped me with my next career. I stopped personal training some 2 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [TheDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheDC wrote:
Go to Uni. and get a kinesiology degree and have some knowledge to back up the skills.

For the love of god don't get a Kinesiology degree. Get a nursing degree or something in a health related field that you can actually get a job with. NOT Kinesiology. Engineering or Biomechanics- anything like that. Once you have a useful undergrad then do a masters in exercise physiology or something a long those lines... this way you always have the useful undergrad to fall back on.

P.s. - People will pick the former local pro who is a good, charismatic, talker vs. the age grouper with a masters in exercise phys 95% of the time.
Last edited by: Flanny: Mar 27, 15 20:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Become a dentist, 30 hr work weeks 250k+ a yr, you will have more time to train and be able to buy anything a pro would plus plenty have of time to train, not a bad life.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get at a job a local Tri shop...keep training...work hard...pay dues...meet people...volunteer at races and expos...spend time being a grunt...listen and learn...Opportunities will come.

Or, train like a muthafuker and win a bunch...that works too...just not as often.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
He thanked his best friend and hit the pool for a few more hours.

Happy wife, happy life.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [yakimarack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yakimarack wrote:
Go back in time and invent the speedfil. Those guys are going to be millionaires, I just got one, what a great product.

if you're going back in time...

easier yet; buy winning lottery tickets. or Apple stock :-|

Most important - give me the proceeds! I'll remember to say Thank You.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did u end up working in multisport? how did the story end...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Career Coach, I get asked this sort of question in some fashion.

True Entrepreneurs are born, it's in their blood and DNA. Look around and see what the people who have been successful have done? Those who started SRAM, OR SPECIALIZED, or XTERRA wetsuits, or any other successful product. Read up on Slowmans story. Scott Tinley was successful beyond his great triathlon career. Why?

You have right here on ST, Emilio DeSoto, how did he do it? My guess is damn hard work.

If you have to ask people to give you an idea and path, it probably will not happen. Anyway, whatever it was that someone succeeded in, it was I can assure you BRUTALLY hard work, many ups and downs, some failures, a few successes.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Can I make money with triathlon, somehow [Tiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true.
Quote Reply

Prev Next