Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amateurs and Prize Money??
Quote | Reply
I have found a few races out here in Korea that offer prize money for Amateurs and was wondering if there is anything comparable back in the states? I noticed that the 5150 series has "products/prizes" in terms of a monetary value. Does USAT have rules governing how much races can pay to amateurs or how much as amateurs we are allowed to be rewarded?

Now to preface the below: I by no means should be getting paid to race, I am no where near fast enough and completely understand that.

But this weekend I went out to a race that the Korean Tri Association put on. They had listed prize money for the event for 1st-3,000,000Won(~$3,000USD), 2nd-2,000,000Won(~$2,000USD), 3rd-1,000,000(~$1,000USD). There was not mention in the race pamphlet or on the website of how many "pros" had to show up or how many required participants for the money. Friday night I was informed by my Korean friends that they had pulled the prize money for 2nd and 3rd due to the lack of "pros". There was Park Byun Hoon and Kim Ji Hwan, who are both actual professionals in Korea. Then for some reason they put all of the foreigners on the elite/pro start list as well, which meant I was listed on there as an elite/pro. I am nowhere near a elite/pro, but am one of the top amateur triathletes here in Korea and didn't mind being on the elite/pro start list, as it is always good to get a good ass kicking. I ended up being 2nd Overall and got beat by 9mins by Kim Ji Hwam, which 6 of those he put into me on the swim and then more than likely 1 on the bike and 2 on the run, still awaiting splits, but those are my rough estimates by taking splits on the course. It was pretty close to the same deficit that I put into the 3rd place guy. I went there thinking there was prize money and if things played out right I could of found myself in 3rd. It was hard for me to complain/raise a stink about it due to the fact that my Korean is limited and I was in no position to jusitfy being paid as I am not a true elite/pro. I really have no place to complain, since they paid for my trip out there and for all meals and hotel. The only thing that sucked is it was a 3 hour drive to the port, then 3 hour ferry ride just to get there. Then after the race we went to another island to swim around it, which was another 2 hour ferry ride, but more about the importance of this island and ferry ride whenever I get to my race report. Anways with all of the travel I do not know if I would of went if I would of known about the lack of prize money for top 3 and only 1st.
(Yes Paulo you can refer me to the "EVERYONE BITCH HERE" post and I can move it over there ;)

The summary of this post and the questions I would like answered:

1. As an amateur in the US are we allowed to accept prize money? Does USAT have a rule against this?
2. Has anyone experienced not getting paid at a race when prize money was supposed to be paid?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Amateurs and Prize Money?? [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good work Brad. It sounds like you are out $2000. If they put you in the pro wave, you may as well raise a stink and try to get the $$$. It does not hurt to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. USAT doesn't let amateurs compete for prize money for purses over $5k. If the purse is $4,999 or less, anyone is eligible.
2. I've seen it happen before when the Xth place pro was actually really slow and behind a lot of AGers. That's a different case than what it sounds like you went through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad, great job. What Gator said. I have heard and been at numerous races over the years inwhich the pros did not get paid onsite and their checks oftentimes took weeks to receive. Sometimes it was for drug testing results to come back, but other times it was sketchy race management.

Still, too bad they didn't hold their original commitment to pay 3 deep. Write them a nice letter requesting something for your effort/result. Can't hurt. Worst they can say is "no dice man".

You getting ready for Kona?!?!?! 8 weeks to go!!!

Quote | Reply
USAT only can regulate on this within the US and has no jurisdiction over what prize money I make outside of the US correct? I just want to make sure I am not shooting myself in the foot by taking prize money over here and then returning back to the US and trying to race as an AG and being told I can't due to taking prize money overseas. Yes, I believe most people think this is crazy that they had a $12K(it was $6K for male, $6K for female)prize purse for a race that only had 112 people, but like I have said before Korea takes care of their amateurs for the most part. The running races have prize money as well and then the Tour de Korea had 70,000,000Won for the total prize purse, and it was for the Amateur race.

I am really starting to think if race directors in the states could figure out how to create a prize purse for their races they might entice a deeper field with competitive AG Elite racing, but why do that when most races are already selling out ;) I think 5150 is going in the right direction and having AG Elite is something that has a lot of promise.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Amateurs and Prize Money?? [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Kona prep is in full swing. Was in a funk for about 3 weeks but out of that and 100% motivated now. Looking to finish within an hour of you and that would be a good day ;) You have your travel dates set yet? Let me know on FB or PM with all your stuff. Stay safe man and see you in Kona!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have input on the whole prize money thing? If you are a FOP top 1% athlete, would you pick a race if it had a decent prize purse for an amateur field over other events? Who will start consistently offering prize money at race?

Just got an invite to a circuit cycling race here in Korea. Prize Purse: $13,500USD.......$500 Primes every 5 laps, it is a 25 lap race. $5,000USD to win. Crazy how much money they are throwing at amateurs over here!!

Here is my race report from last weekend: http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...east-sea-i-have.html

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike racing

every weekend all over america amateurs are winning good prize money in bike races

with lower entry fees

and having more fun =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Amateurs and Prize Money?? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackmott-

Did you forget your pink font this morning? ;)

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply