Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts
Quote | Reply
We now have two bikes with stupid rear dropouts, with big bulgy bits of carbon fiber. With a normal skewer the trainer starts touching the frame of the bike before it is clamping onto the skewer securely. (screw you Cervelo P2 and Litespeed c1!!)

does anyone make a skewer that sticks out more, for this purpose?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Kurt Kinetic came with a skewer and it works fine with my Cervelo P2C.

Don't know if they sell them separately, or if it solves your issue.
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
My Kurt Kinetic came with a skewer and it works fine with my Cervelo P2C.

Don't know if they sell them separately, or if it solves your issue.

yeah the p2c *just* works. its close though and makes me nervous.

the litespeed however, does not

Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could you use a mtb skewer (135mm vs 130mm) and a washer or two as a spacer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my P2C I use the regular trainer skewer that came with my CompuTrainer PLUS I use something the shop gave me which appears to be a hub nut or washer. Basically, it sits between the dropout and the skewer nut and serves to *extend* the skewer nut out such that it doesn't make contact with the carbon frame. Kinda hard to explain. Before, I was using two regular zinc washers but those would move around and become kind of loose. This hub nut/washer that I speak of has little teeth on the surface to grip the dropout.
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh, good idea

JimMoss wrote:
For my P2C I use the regular trainer skewer that came with my CompuTrainer PLUS I use something the shop gave me which appears to be a hub nut or washer. Basically, it sits between the dropout and the skewer nut and serves to *extend* the skewer nut out such that it doesn't make contact with the carbon frame. Kinda hard to explain. Before, I was using two regular zinc washers but those would move around and become kind of loose. This hub nut/washer that I speak of has little teeth on the surface to grip the dropout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your wife riding the C1 now? I thought she got that steel bike because she hated cartoonish carbon bike with big fat tubes?

It's like the Mott family has a personal vendetta against wind resistance!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what it is. I think they ground the lip/edge off this thing in about 30 seconds and handed it to me. It works great and I don't get any more contact or slippage when I ride. Fits like it was made for the P2C dropouts.

http://www.cyclingcloseouts.com/...R-White__HU7238.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
We now have two bikes with stupid rear dropouts, with big bulgy bits of carbon fiber. With a normal skewer the trainer starts touching the frame of the bike before it is clamping onto the skewer securely. (screw you Cervelo P2 and Litespeed c1!!)

does anyone make a skewer that sticks out more, for this purpose?

I bought 3 sets of these, and use them will all my bikes (P3, TCR, Bianchi)
http://www.amazon.com/...312401375&sr=8-1

The title says "Kinetic", but it's a lie. These are just basic, bobo, everyday run-of-the-mill big, bulky skewers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a KK, they make a smaller cone cup set for the trainer, which is HUGE to fix the problem. My CD 0.1 had issues with the frame/trainer cup rubbing and I just called them - they sent me new ones. They work as expected.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/...-cone-p-91-l-en.html

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C3 actually
sponsor frame for starting a new women's cycling team here in austin

kinetic cone cup ftw!

SwBkRn44 wrote:
Is your wife riding the C1 now? I thought she got that steel bike because she hated cartoonish carbon bike with big fat tubes?

It's like the Mott family has a personal vendetta against wind resistance!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a 25 cent solution so you probably won't like it, but why not just put a couple of small washers on the trainer skewer outboard of the dropouts to push the skewer ends farther from the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn do I come across as a big spender?

I got nothing against washers!
in fact I'll have you know, I own a whole bucket of zip ties, and also duct tape.

JollyRogers wrote:
This is a 25 cent solution so you probably won't like it, but why not just put a couple of small washers on the trainer skewer outboard of the dropouts to push the skewer ends farther from the frame.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
damn do I come across as a big spender?

No, you do run Hed Jets not Zipps after all. It's just a simple solution that doesn't require data analysis, field testing, and independent confirmation from TomA or Andy Coggan. Take your skewer to your local, non big box, hardware store where you can paw through drawers of washers and pick some out that have a large enough inner diameter to fit your skewer and a smaller outer diameter than the skewer end plugs.
Last edited by: JollyRogers: Aug 3, 11 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm gonna need charts at least

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: trainer skewers for bikes with stupid rear dropouts [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love your work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply