Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner?
Quote | Reply
This might be impossible, but I use my Garmin 305 Forerunner on a bike, and would love to be able to import predefined ride courses into it. I know it can't show an actual map, but I know it can do turn warnings before an upcoming turn; if I could import a course and have it do this (or with the breadcrumb map as well), it would be very useful.

Has anyone ever done this?
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done it with the Garrett County Gran Fondo. They already had a map online, so I just connected my Garmin and uploaded it. It was only the breadcrumb course, but it was definitely sufficient. Had turns, a compass, elevation profile, and probably some other data.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how to do it, but I would like to.

But you can get an actual map on the 305 by just using the mode button. Just tap it a few times and you will see the compass and map screens.

How do you get turn warnings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Has anyone ever done this?

You can do it using http://www.mapmyride.com and Garmin Training Center.

First you trace the map in MapMyRide,
Then download it, import it and and make it a course in GTC.

Upload it to the 305, and then "do" the course and it shows you the map track and another screen shows you which direction you should be heading. It isn't the same as using a mapping GPS, but it usually gets you turning on the right street as long as you aren't trying to use it in areas with lots of close-together streets.

If you don't have it enabled already, you may have to change the map setting on the watch to "display the map" so you can find it when you tap the mode button. I don't remember if it comes up automatically when you do a course or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com to do what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
How do you get turn warnings?

0. Plug in your Garmin and make sure it's got all drivers and whatnot by testing at http://www8.garmin.com/...s/communicator/test/
1. "Drive" a course in maps.google.com.
2. Click googlemaps_cuesheet script that you have put in your Favorites or Bookmarks bar as described at http://www.the-yosts.com
3. Press Send to Garmin

You will have turn-by-turn directions, elevation profile, line to follow, etc.....
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. looks greeat, but I couldn't get it to work with my 305.

I got an error when I tried to send it to the Garmin (TypeError: garminGpsPlugin.getVersionXml is not a function). Garmin Communicator works fine and checks out on the Garmin test site.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest you try BikeRouteToaster which is free and has the Garmin Communictor pluggin integrated into the website interface allowing you tyo send the course direct to your Garmin Device. This may be incorrect but I was also under the impression that you can send a route with a more detailed map to the device by creatig the route using Garmin MapSource. Of course while MapSource software is a free download, it requires that you have a detailed base map such as Garmin City Navigator 2012 or OpenSource Maps (OSM) to allow you to create the route because without them, MapSource defaults to a very generic base map that only includes things like major highways and main streets in various areas.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Map it on gspies.com, mapmybike.com, ridewithgps.com etc
Export it.
Open it with Garmin Training Centre (not Garmin Connect, don't ask why they have two almost identical programs)
Use "send to device" to send it to your device.

I learned this last week from this excellent guide -

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ourses-for-your.html

The photos show the process with the 310xt, but I have followed the instructions precisely with my 305.
Rode a 70 mile route on Saturday without a problem.
Check out the comments below the blogpost for more handy hints.
I'm as technologically incompetent as they come, but I managed it, so you can.
Last edited by: vitalstatistix: Jul 26, 11 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Thanks. looks greeat, but I couldn't get it to work with my 305.

I got an error when I tried to send it to the Garmin (TypeError: garminGpsPlugin.getVersionXml is not a function). Garmin Communicator works fine and checks out on the Garmin test site.

I've encountered this too, but find that "Return to Google Maps" and then rerun the script and it works the 2nd time. Don't ask me why.

Personally, I much prefer making routes directly in Google Maps than via any of the mapmyride, ridewithgps, etc.... sites.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to pre-map a course on a Garmin 305 Forerunner? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that worked. I made a little course and will have to try it out.
Quote Reply