Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better
Quote | Reply
https://buy.garmin.com/...jsp?null&ra=true

Chapeau to dcrainmaker for the heads up.

Most of what was left to bitch about has been taken care of. Especially:
-Added zero averaging for bike cadence and bike power. Found under Settings>Bike Settings>Data Averaging. Note: power and cadence are defaulted to include zeros
-Added the ability to see the details of the current activity in History
-Added torque to the power calibration page for wheel based power meter
-Added an every second recording option. The user no longer has to be paired with a power meter in order to get once per second recording. Go to Settings>System>Data Recording to enable.

Now we'll see if it works. ;)

Who knows...maybe NP/TSS/IF are on the way some day.

The full list:

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.70:

-Please be sure to back up all user data before updating to 3.70. During this update, all user data will be lost. This includes history, workouts, courses and user profile.
-Added zero averaging for bike cadence and bike power. Found under Settings>Bike Settings>Data Averaging. Note: power and cadence are defaulted to include zeros
-Added sunrise/sunset data fields
-Added the ability to see the details of the current activity in History
-Added UTF8 support
-Added UI for viewing and editing speed/pace zones
-Added a bulk delete for courses and workouts
-Added a new 'Heart Rate Display' setting that will set how heart rate is displayed throughout the device. (Settings -> Settings -> Heart Rate -> Display)
-Improved the numeric keyboards
-Improved map drawing
-Improved the goals UI
-Improved Scheduled Workouts UI
-Improved the HR Graph data field
-Improved keyboard functionality. Added uppercase/lowercase option.
-Increased the number of steps allowed in Custom/Advanced Workouts to 50
-Fixed issues with Autolap by position
-Fixed Heart Rate Workout issues
-Fixed an issue with zones being sent from GTC
-Fixed an issue with foot pod not accumulating distance with indoor manual multisport
-Fixed an issue with unrealistic wheel size when using wheel based power meter
-Added torque to the power calibration page for wheel based power meter
-Eliminated the 150KB limit for course fit files
-Updated Firstbeat library to second generation
-Fixed issues with the Recovery Heart Rate message not clearing
-Fixed issues with calculating distance after leaving a tunnel
-Added an every second recording option. The user no longer has to be paired with a power meter in order to get once per second recording. Go to Settings>System>Data Recording to enable.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool. Thanks.

I assume you updated. Have you used it yet?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to update my Garmin tonight after work.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great - thanks for the head's up.
Maybe mine will stop randomly powering off as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caf0 wrote:

I'm hoping this fixes mine from randomly powering on. Several times I've had it sit on top of a table across the room from where I was sitting and heard it power on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
caf0 wrote:

I'm hoping this fixes mine from randomly powering on. Several times I've had it sit on top of a table across the room from where I was sitting and heard it power on.

That happens with mine, too!! And if I don't hear it, my battery dies overnight. I've gotten in the habit of keeping it plugged into the charger when I'm not using it, just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [alaina1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have details on how to back everything up first (bike wheel sizes, age, weight, screen views, etc...) and then restore it AFTER the firmware update?
Thanks very much!
-Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're syncing your 310XT to Garmin Training Centre (or Garmin Connect), all of your data (zones, routes, stats, etc.) should be backed up. Once you've applied the firmware update, simply sync with Training Centre/Garmin Connect again and all of your old settings/information should be restored (minus workout history). In the case of Training Centre, you may get a dialog box stating that the information in Training Centre doesn't match what is on the watch. Just allow TC to overwrite the 310XT's information.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Anyone have details on how to back everything up first (bike wheel sizes, age, weight, screen views, etc...) and then restore it AFTER the firmware update?
Thanks very much!
-Mike
Damn -- forgot to check the OD readings for both my bikes before I upgraded. :(

Austin, TX
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That only does weight, age and stuff right - there is no way to backup and then restore data field settings for screens, wheel circumferences etc etc? Or am I incorrect (please tell me I am as am getting tired of manually resetting the data fields after each firmware update..).

----
There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. - Tolkien.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Maybe my heartrate monitor will work and my watch will stop automatically deleting my workouts, causing me to wish I didn't drop $400 on the thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else experienced issues after upgrading? Workouts seem to transfer slower and when I plug in the Ant stick, the watch doesn't seem to start its upload as quick as it used to. Sometimes it doesn't start transferring at all. I've tried setting "Transfer All Activities" but that doesn't seem to help much either. I know this FW is supposed to be an improvement, but I am having a much harder time getting data off the device now and was wondering if anybody else had the same experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [dice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dice wrote:
Great. Maybe my heartrate monitor will work and my watch will stop automatically deleting my workouts, causing me to wish I didn't drop $400 on the thing.

Check you don't have the box checked in Garmin Ant Agent to automatically delete your workouts after uploading. However, you are better off with it deleting as if too much data the 310XT will 'fall over'. Once uploaded files are kept on your computer:

In Windows XP: C:\ Drive > Documents and Setting > username > Application Data > GARMIN > Devices > numbered folder

In Windows Vista, C:\ Drive > users > username > Application Data > Local Low > Roaming > GARMIN > Devices > numbered folder

.fit files in Activities; .tcx files in History

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit late now, but 3.7 seems to have created more issues than it solved. Have a look through the Garmin Forums if you have not already done so. Might be better off waiting until the next release

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: irncpl: Jul 13, 11 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An issue I have picked up on recently is that "Swim Mode" gets disabled every time you change activity type - running or to which ever bike I'm riding.

Real PITA to have to keep remember to enable it before I jump in the lake, which inevitably I don't.

Hoping for an update soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 310XT firmware just got way better [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to say it, but I have to agree with you - this firmware seems sketchy.

I updated as soon as the firmware was available, kicked tires to check out the new stuff, then went back to my "run only focus, no ride" summer. Things were completely fine for the first month and a bit (even with regular use), but the last week or so I've run into problems and, to quickly check the Garmin forums, they're not uncommon. The issue I've been personally having is problems getting data off the 310XT (once the data transfers it's fine, but it's a bitch getting it off the watch).

Somewhat frustrating - although I'm sure they'll fix (most of) it in the next firmware version. And perhaps break a few more things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This software update is completely broken as far as I am concerned!! I started losing random workouts, and all transfers to Garmin Connect have stopped working. The reason seems to be that my 310XT has stopped keeping date and time when powered off. If you don't wait for satellite sync, you will be hosed. Too hard to write off to random hardware failure when it only happened RIGHT after the update, and lots of other users are reporting the same issue.
Quote Reply