Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It only crosses itself once, as you begin the 2nd climb, known as Crag Trail. When you crest Crag at the aid station, you go left. Later, you approach that aid station from the opposite direction, again taking a left. No crossover at the aid station.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:
It only crosses itself once, as you begin the 2nd climb, known as Crag Trail. When you crest Crag at the aid station, you go left. Later, you approach that aid station from the opposite direction, again taking a left. No crossover at the aid station.

That kind of makes sense..... but I think I must do a spin around as I'm drinking my Heed because I finish, hand my cup to the volunteer, say thank you and then look..... and have no idea which way to go or where I came from. That even happens on my very first aid station stop, which as near as I can estimate.... is about 15 minutes into a 4 hour race for me :/

Those ladies are awesome and very kind and understanding btw. I got to see them at the end of the race to thank them last year but I did not see them at the pavilion this year.
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power[or lack thereof] and mud [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All these RRs are great. I soooooo need to get back east for this race one of these years.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it may only cross itself once, it touches itself a couple of times, once near the start (and at the end of that really long downhill carriage trail), and at the aid station.

I love myself I want you to love me
When I feel down I want you above me
I search myself I want you to find me
I forget myself I want you to remind me

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you I touch myself
Ooh I don't want anybody else Oh no, oh no, oh no

You're the one who makes me come running
You're the sun who makes me shine
When you're around I'm always laughing
I want to make you mine

I close my eyes And see you before me
Think I would die If you were to ignore me
(From: http://www.elyrics.net/...h-myself-lyrics.html)
A fool could see Just how much I adore you
I get down on my knees I do anything for you

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you I touch myself
Ooh I don't want anybody else
Oh no, oh no, oh no

I want you I don't want anybody else
And when I think about you I touch myself
Ooh, ooh, oo, oo ahh

I don't want anybody else When I think about you
I touch myself Ooh I don't want anybody else
Oh no, oh no, oh no

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [DrD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrD wrote:
All these RRs are great. I soooooo need to get back east for this race one of these years.

all are welcome, well, unless you are good at running and riding up hill and you are 40-44 anyhow ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris G wrote:
DrD wrote:

all are welcome, well, unless you are good at running and riding up hill and you are 40-44 anyhow ;-)

X2 - since I get old next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is my AG but I don't think you guys have anything to worry about.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"While it may only cross itself once, it touches itself a couple of times, once near the start (and at the end of that really long downhill carriage trail), and at the aid station."
It feels guilty about touching itself, so it crosses itself.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:
"While it may only cross itself once, it touches itself a couple of times, once near the start (and at the end of that really long downhill carriage trail), and at the aid station."
It feels guilty about touching itself, so it crosses itself.

Like a priest.

PS - nicely played.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you age up when you turn 40, or just magically age up the year you turn 40 (even though you may not be 40 until after du/tri season)? I turn 39 in october...so does this mean at AZ i will have lost 5 months of my life (nevermind the years lost from the effort of the race)??
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
do you age up when you turn 40, or just magically age up the year you turn 40 (even though you may not be 40 until after du/tri season)? I turn 39 in october...so does this mean at AZ i will have lost 5 months of my life (nevermind the years lost from the effort of the race)??

Next year you lose 5 moths of your life and age up to the 40-44, IIRC it is your age on 12/31 that matters for AG. Good news for you is that Yoda is out of your AG for a few years, bad news is that you get to race with me and the rest of the old men. If you noticed the other day the winner was 45-49, the next 3 were 40-44.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC it is your age on 12/31 that matters for AG.

That is a USAT/WTC rule. I believe we don't need no stinkin' USAT badges to race American Zofingren you gringo.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:

Ok I know I said I don't want to see a course map, but can you tell us how much ground is actually covered by the course? I'm starting to suspect it's only a 1mile x 1mile square.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's probably about right. I'd say it's about a mile from the tips of the outermost red and blue points, as well as the tips of the outermost green points on the map below.
The map is a bit small, but where the red line starts in the middle is the pavilion / start line. As it travels left, you're crossing the fields. Near the "what looks like a 4" in the black circle, the sharp left which takes the red line towards the bottom of the page is the first climb, just after the little jump over the stream. Where the line then bends right on the page (a left hand turn for the runner) you get on the carriage trail and gently descend to the base of the 2nd climb. Where the red line bends right and heads to the bottom of the page is the 2nd climb. Right at the base of it, where it crosses the green line, is the mysterious crossover. When the red line hits the blue line, that's the top of the 2nd climb and the aid station, about 1.5 miles in. Take a right on this page (runner goes left), joining the blue line, which is the carriage trail descent. Where it bends towards the bottom of the page is where you leave the carriage trail and enter the single track. Where it bends left on the page is where you've just crossed the long plank crossing and are now climbing the 3rd, toughest climb. You pass through the cairns garden and at the top of the climb (where the blue line on the map below stops going due left and tilts back towards the top of the page) the runner takes a right, climbs a bit more to the carriage trail, runs to the left, then takes a right back towards the aid station. In the map below, this is near the end of the blue line where it turns right and heads back to its own point of origin. The runner takes a left at the aid station (where the green line starts) - There is no crossover - and follows the carriage trail to where both the runner and the green line go right - this is the start of the long descent on carriage trail. You cross over the red line and where the green line touches the red line closest to the start, but does not cross it, is where you enter the woods for the fourth and final climb, this one behind the pavilion. The green line goes right (the runner climbs, then descends - the left hand turn for the runner to start the descent is only a slight bend on the map) and where the green line doubles back towards the start is where the runner takes the left at the bottom of the descent and heads towards to field below the pavilion which they cross, completing the 5 mile circuit. The shape of the course is roughly a shamrock. Simple!

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: AZ F1 RR - long/boring/pics/power [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course isn't the only thing that touches itself:

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:
Simple!

Gawd.... if that description is your definition of simple.......you must be a lawyer :)

thx.... it makes a "bit" more sense now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw, is that a route from pre-existing trail running races, or did you come up with it for AmZof, to keep the run contained within a smallish area and make it easier to send out aid if needed?

I will admit that I have been quite worried about going over on an ankle or worse, and how to get out of there, but now that I know it is actually such a relatively small area overall, I am not nearly as concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, we're confined the way we are because the Mountain House wouldn't give us permission to use their trails. You can see where we kiss up against their border, but don't cross it. Originally, I wanted AmZof to be like Powerman Zofingen, where you run 7.5K up, then back down, then repeat for 30K. I wanted us to run all the way to the tower at the top of the mountain. Necessity was the mother of invention.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni wrote:
I wanted us to run all the way to the tower at the top of the mountain.

That's the other thing we have been meaning to ask you for two years - what is that tower and why is it there? Is it a statue of something? When we spotted that last year when we were driving out from town to pre-drive the course for the first time, I just about spit out my Mudd Puddle coffee because I thought we were going to have to run or bike up to that point !?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The tower is known as Skytop Tower and was erected as a monument to the man who built the Mohonk Mountain House hotel.
It is the finish line for the SOS triathlon, the final leg of which is a 7/10 mile sprint up steep stairs from the 3rd and final lake swim to the tower.
The entrance to the Mountain House is on our race course, to your right just after you passed under the old tressel at the top of the first climb.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply

Prev Next