Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DIY Aero or Die
Quote | Reply
Just "finished" these bars tonight, thought I'd show them off. About $80 in parts and labor. 14.5cm outside to outside. Will still wrap the silver area with bar tape and put on some elbow pads. This is my variation on the Scott 100k bar as discussed in a previous thread.

there are brake levers mounted in the pic above!

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Aero or Die [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, I'd turn the extension clamps so that they are under your arms and don't protrude.

Where are the brake levers?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Aero or Die [Steve_Davidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Arm rests look really uncomfortable.

Perhaps "DIY Aero AND Die" would be a more appropriate thread title :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jeremy,
I agree with the other poster about the armrests. I think that they might 'give way' when you need them most (putting the most pressure on them). Remember the fatigue life of Al, and that stuff looks pretty thin. Would it not be better to just get some sculpty or air hardening clay to make a mould for your forearms, then make a negative cast with something cheap like plaster, or bondo, and then make some longer length, form fitting cups with CF. This way padding needed is minimal (since it is custom to your arms), and it should provide a little more control; as it provides a positive 'locked in' feel (rather than sloshing about). Nice job on the welds, by the way...Im going to have to learn to TIG one of these days.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Yeah maybe, but the elbow platforms are steel:

And the majority of my weight is actually on the aerobar underneath, not the plate itself. As mentioned will get some 1/4" neoprene or other Cee Gee padding material to cover the bolts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that...I did not realize that you went steel. I once tried to make some homemade 'crampons' from stainless plate (1/8"), and was sadly disappointed by the performance. Within 100 yards the teeth were all bent and pointing in different directions. What I failed to do was introduce any stiffening channels stamped into the structure (what do you expect when all you have drill with a cutting wheel). But I digress... Nice job on your bars.

Stephen J

Last edited by: stephen J: Dec 15, 10 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now get some sheetmetal and shape some aero fairings for the back of the 'basebar'

and shave down those extension clamps somehow!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Aero or Die [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now get some sheetmetal and shape some aero fairings for the back of the 'basebar'

and shave down those extension clamps somehow!

That one should be easy...Just make sure that the extension is right, and then glue it. Get rid of the clamp all together...no reason for it.

For the fairings, get some Great Stuff and put it behind with something to shape. Cut it to shape, and slap some cheap glass on top and paint. It should also add to the 'integrity' and 'stiffness' of the structure; thus conforming to the rules.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply

I like it!

My only nit to pick is that I think I would have made the extensions just slightly wider apart...so they line up more with the outside of your forearms...just to get a little bit more "handgrip" separation. But, I realize that's mostly a personal preference.

Let us know how the testing goes...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Aero or Die [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The silver tubing is 25.4, I was considering using brake levers (probably cyclocross levers) and put them where the silver tube clamps are now = double duty. Brakes would then act as the tube clamps.

However, I decided that these 25.4 tube clamps + visions looked more badass. Also didn’t find 25.4 brake levers too easily.

Plus, really wanted these Hed Flip lites, but they are $200 retail and they have the same clamp issue, so figured I couldn't be that bad:

Last edited by: jeremyb: Dec 15, 10 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered countersinking the screws on those arm rests? (And using screws with flat tops.)
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Aero or Die [faded_memories] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered it. The plate is very thin. Wouldnt be able to countersink too much. If I make a set out of carbon, I'll probably do that though.

Quote Reply