Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy?
Quote | Reply
I would like to get some additional opinions on the WTC refund policy. Unfortunately, since you have to sign up for an IM race so far in advance, there is no way to plan the unexpected. I know everyone hates the refund policy, but should they make any additional considerations specifically related to pregnancy?

My husband and I signed up for IMTX as soon as it opened this summer. I recently found out I was going to have a baby and sent WTC a note 7 months prior to race day (the race is May 2011) indicating that I was pregnant and would be unable to race. I am due 4 weeks before the race...I don't think I'll be ready to hop on a bike by that point. I asked for either a refund or a deferral to 2012. I got a form letter in return indicating that I could withdraw my entry and get a $150 refund (as is indicated on the website) or forfeit the whole $630.

I knew the policy before I signed up and that there was a possibility I would get pregnant, but you can never know for sure when that will happen. I can understand them sticking to their policy, but does that make the policy right? Many of the women in IM races are of childbearing age, and at least here in the US all the IM races sell out a year in advance. Should we not register because we MIGHT get pregnant before the race? Is this discrimination?

I know I am not the only one who has been in this situation, and that there are costs associated with putting on these events and dealing with exceptions regarding refunds. But I think WTC should be a little more flexible in their policies by giving some consideration to the women in triathlon. We are doing our part to create future triathletes :) - should we be penalized for our contribution to our sport?

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [aggie03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope...I don't think pregnancy is any different from any other life circumstance that might inhibit your ability to participate.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [aggie03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats by the way.

But I would say that pregnancy would be even less of a reason because it's 'planned'. A crash, Cancer, etc are not so planned and they would not give a refund in that instance.

Owner/Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
http://www.EnduranceConcepts.com
Sponsored by: Cadence Bikes & Multisport & Brooks
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [marvarnett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats by the way.

But I would say that pregnancy would be even less of a reason because it's 'planned'. A crash, Cancer, etc are not so planned and they would not give a refund in that instance.

Not always. Just sayin'.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To paraphrase more than one judge lecturing family law clients of mine (in a prior life): "You should have thought of that before you took your pants off."

Congrats on the addition to the family! (and good luck getting any money here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if they give you a refund for pregnancy, then they should give men a refund for their wives pregnancy too!
or else that's discrimination.

WTC sucks, etc,.etc.
Challenge series has an option to pay an extra 50 bucks and get a no questions asked refund.
i like that idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st off, congratulations!

2nd, frankly, too bad. If it was that important to you, then you could have used birth control or abstained for the year. ;)

While I think that WTC should have a waiting list, where they could 'sell' a cancellation to someone else for an admin. fee, I actually support their withdrawl policy - you can only imagine the number of people who would withdraw if they knew they 'could'...

Embrace the new addition to the family, take the $150 and buy a jogging stoller! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the very least they should make the race entry transferable. Why not allow you to sell your race entry to another triathlete?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll start with I'm a female of childbearing age. During my last IM I thought/worried about getting pregnant and not being able to race. I don't think WTC should offer any exceptions for pregnancy. While sometimes it is unexpected, I don't feel it's any different than getting hit by a car and not being able to race. It's a risk you take when you sign up.

All that being said, a big congratulations and I hope all goes well with a cute, healthy baby this spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Congrats by the way.

Not always. Just sayin'.

Hence the "quotes".

Owner/Head Coach for Endurance Concepts
http://www.EnduranceConcepts.com
Sponsored by: Cadence Bikes & Multisport & Brooks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The policy is what it is and everyone knows about it when they sign up for a WTC race.

Is it right?Yes it is because they can do whatever they like as they make the rules for their own events.

Is it a popular rule? No.

Should WTC make special rules for women? No.

If WTC made special rules for women would that be discrimination? Yes.

.........................................................................................................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats and no.

rules be rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it's not discrimination. You knew the policy prior to signing up and if you don't agree to the WTC policies or if you don't like WTC for any other reasons you can always vote with your money (or credit indebtedness for many..) and don't sign up.

"I knew the policy before I signed up and that there was a possibility I would get pregnant,"
Is this a troll? Seriously, if you knew you were trying to get pregnant, were you unaware that there was a 9 month gestation period?

" Is this discrimination? "
You're trolling, right? Or maybe you belong to camp estrogen and are also in favor of special consideration for your days on the rag and are wondering why women are paid less in the workforce. It would be discriminatory to have a special exemption for women for pregnancy and not allow men the same opt-out for the anticipation of a child or any other medical condition. You knew the policy prior to signing up, deal with it.

"We are doing our part to create future triathletes :) - should we be penalized for our contribution to our sport? "
I pity your husband for your hormonal irrationality. Nobody penalizes you in any way but this is exactly the mentality of this Nation and everybody blames somebody else for the consequences of their actions, whether that is signing up for a triathlon well knowing the policies in advance, getting into a house one cannot afford, signing mortgages to live beyond the means and then expecting bailouts, etc.

"Thoughts?"
You wanted them, you got them.

When they kick at your front door, How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun
Paul Simonon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I know everyone hates the refund policy,

FTR, I don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [slidell4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why not allow you to sell your race entry to another triathlete?

Because they've already pre-sold it in anticipation that a certain percentage will not show up.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [qqqq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No, it's not discrimination. You knew the policy prior to signing up and if you don't agree to the WTC policies or if you don't like WTC for any other reasons you can always vote with your money (or credit indebtedness for many..) and don't sign up.

"I knew the policy before I signed up and that there was a possibility I would get pregnant,"
Is this a troll? Seriously, if you knew you were trying to get pregnant, were you unaware that there was a 9 month gestation period?

" Is this discrimination? "
You're trolling, right? Or maybe you belong to camp estrogen and are also in favor of special consideration for your days on the rag and are wondering why women are paid less in the workforce. It would be discriminatory to have a special exemption for women for pregnancy and not allow men the same opt-out for the anticipation of a child or any other medical condition. You knew the policy prior to signing up, deal with it.

"We are doing our part to create future triathletes :) - should we be penalized for our contribution to our sport? "
I pity your husband for your hormonal irrationality. Nobody penalizes you in any way but this is exactly the mentality of this Nation and everybody blames somebody else for the consequences of their actions, whether that is signing up for a triathlon well knowing the policies in advance, getting into a house one cannot afford, signing mortgages to live beyond the means and then expecting bailouts, etc.

"Thoughts?"
You wanted them, you got them.

----------------------------------------------------------

Shame on you for saying such things to a woman here on Slowtwitch.

If you ever want to apply for an Australian passport I'll happily to put in a good word for you.We need more guys like you down under. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just moved to Colorado. My wife and I have been trying for a while. We wanted to do the whole ski thing and bought our ski passes for the winter. They offered pregnancy insurance for this and we paid for it ($25 I think). We just found out she's pregnant and are glad we took out the insurance. It would be nice if WTC did something similar. So, yes, I think they should change their policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall, thanks for your opinions...it's often hard to make judgement calls when they involve yourself.

In my opinion, (regardless of my personal situation), I think WTC should implement a transfer policy, an insurance policy or do refunds on a rolling basis (you know, 80% back 10 months in advance, 50% back 5 months, etc...). But yeah, you're right, they can do whatever they want because it's their race...I was just curious as to what everyone else thought.

I don't hate WTC, and I knew what I was getting into when I had unprotected sex, and I knew the consequences regarding my entry. At no point in my thread did I complain...I have a pure curiosity as to the general consensus.

As for you qqqq...dear lord. Go get laid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and thanks for the congratulations...we are very excited! Thus far, our only purchase has been the baby jogger. Probably need to start thinking about the other stuff soon, eh? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I think the policy is fine - and I had to withdraw once - didn't bother me to "lose" the money.

Congrats on the baby.

But I've got to ask: if your properly training - how did you get pregnant?

We are doing our part to create future triathletes :) So do the guys
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with this is it begins to open the door for a host of other allowances- all of them reasonable and arguable (like pregancy)- but taken as a group they could easily become excessive.

Once one allowance is granted an argument could then be made for:

sickness
undertraining
addiction
injury
change in work schedule
loss of job
moving
financial adversity
educational opportunities
military deployment

These are all relatively common, life circumstances that happen to many people. That's the problem. Only about half the field would make it to the start line.

Ironman is hard, really hard. In a way, it is like any other very large commitment- you give things up for it or you give it up for things- but not both. When you hit the "Enter" button to register you're signing on for more than just one tough day. You're commiting to weeks and months of tough workouts in all conditions- you know that. It's is part of what puts the "Iron" in Ironman. It isn't easy, it isn't for everyone.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...it's often hard to make judgement calls when they involve yourself."

Except in your case- where you are courteous and conscientious enough to survey other perspectives- which speaks well of you. :)

Also- congratulations!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"As for you qqqq...dear lord. Go get laid."

Just did this morning ;)

" At no point in my thread did I complain.."

No, you didn't complain, you whined about a policy you agreed to in your sign up process and went as far as to ask and suggest discrimination. You keep stating that you knew that you had unprotected sex and were possibly expecting a baby. Why would one sign up for a race well knowing this possibility, well knowing the policy yet bitch about it when one gets pregnant and cannot do the race. It's one thing to do something and deal with the consequences, it's another to agree to the terms knowing the possible outcome and then point the fingers at others in hindsight. I sure hope you don't raise your kids with that entitlement "logic".

When they kick at your front door, How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun
Paul Simonon
Quote Reply
Re: Should WTC have a different refund policy for pregnancy? [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the pregnancy insurance idea. I am a woman who is having troubles getting pregnant, and find it difficult to put everything on hold in hope for a miracle. If I were to get pregnant after plopping down hundreds of dollars for a race entry, I'm sure I'd be happy enough that I was going to have a baby that I would eat the money - but a refund would be nice. I'd pay for cancellation insurance if given the option. Just my opinion. But it is definitely something in the back of my mind when signing up for any race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next