Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL
Quote | Reply
Fishtwitch would like to bring you a very special swim challenge this month. In addition to the normal record-your-workouts-and-put-your-yards/meters-on-the-spreadsheet, we present the following challenge:

30 min TT for distance and 500 yd TT (note: if you swim m, do 500m not 400 m - that's how our TT spreadsheet is set up for pace calculations)

In other words, how far can you swim in 30 minutes?

This is a good challenge for several reasons:
- It allows you to make a good estimate of your threshold pace (30 min) or Vo2 pace (500), from which you can base other intervals.
- It gives you a metric of your swim fitness starting the offseason
- If you are looking at the 60 min (or 5k or 10k ...) USMS Postal Challenge swims, this is both practice and a good start at training.
- There are probably more reasons I can't think of.

Should you wish to participate, you can either just post your workouts as you've been doing, or you can decide that in the last week of November you'll do a 30 min swim for time or 500y TT to see how much faster you became over the month .

Get a baseline of a 30 min and or 500 yd swim, post it here, and robertwb will calculate paces for you.

PM me with an email address if you want access to the tracking sheet.

Get thee to thy local fishbowl.
xoxo
tc

p.s. will edit this later with the link to the spreadsheet. If you need a link to the Fishtwitch Google Tracking sheet, which has been around longer than the ST training log, please PM either myself or AxlesofEvil.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 6, 10 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WARM UP
2x450 10 sec rest
#1 swim, #2 (25kick/25swim)

MAIN
6x100 pull on 1:40
4x150 (100 strong/50 smooth) on 2:30
4x100 (25 back/25 swim) on 1:45

COOL DOWN
100 choice

(2,600SCM)

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I could win this if a 30min TT is required up front. Took 3 weeks out of the water, did my 300 repeats on 4:30 holding 4:10 then 4;15 for the last 2 on Saturday. 3 weeks ago I was leaving on the 4:00. If I stayed in the water for November, and that is a big IF, I could be going on the 3;45-3:50. So you figure out if a 30min TT is required up front, if it is, I'm in horrible swim shape currently!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll take a crack at figuring out how to post a link to it:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/...nuwygvppkKCPw#gid=55

I'm not sure when I'll get a 30 min. TT in but it sounds like a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my personal education, I would love to hear your distance for your 30 min tt but also know your stroke count per lap or per 100.
At some point in the middle of the TT when your pace is roughly stabilized, count your SPL. I want to get an idea of stroke rate and well as distance per stroke to compare to mine.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a good way to keep track of time other than by wearing a watch? I hate wearing a watch in the pool and other than having a digital clock I can't think of a great way to see the time go by...

I'm not very creative though.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would put my watch on a kickboard at the end of my lane, so that I can check it every so often on an open turn? Even better, if you have starting blocks, you can fasten your watch around the backstroke start bars, so it could be very easy to read with an open turn.

r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is there a good way to keep track of time other than by wearing a watch? I hate wearing a watch in the pool and other than having a digital clock I can't think of a great way to see the time go by...

I'm not very creative though.

Has your pool a pace clock?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, even easier: put your watch around your water bottle.

This could be it's own thread - "101 ways to get your time at a pool without wearing a watch"

:)

r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea but it's analog. I can keep track of time up to about 1000+ but after that I start to lose track. I'll usually swim 1:20 pace +/- a few seconds for 1000 steady (scy) but for a 30 minute time trial I'd expect to be a tad bit slower (initially) and therefore the math would be harder for dumb me to figure out.

I like the water battle watch idea but hate the thought of doing open turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- There are probably more reasons I can't think of. ////

How about injecting some short term goals into an otherwise boring swim month. November is usually tough since there are no races left for most of us, going into the dreaded holiday times, and just basically not much to motivate the fishes. I'm going to try and do it 3 times, once doing IM(repeating 100IM's for the 30 minutes, and yes, legal), once pulling with paddles and buoy, and once just swimming. If I can, I may even talk my group into doing it, and I will do one more with a serious draft in the lane..

And let us not forget all the AG/fattie/chick/out of shape/not really a swimmer/never been a swimmer/just a retired swimmer/and any excuse you can think of groups that can form and have bragging rights. Seems like desert dude is already starting the poor me, I'm so out of shape category..HA!!!

Now how and where do we sign up for this again???

Almost forgot, and to robert, you will not find any water bottles at the end of any of the lanes where I swim, no music on the deck or in the ears, and certainly no snorkles. Most the guys/gals I swim with will only have to look a couple times, as they will know when they are around 28+ minutes, just by how far they have swam.

Here is a clue folks, figure out about what your pace is, figure how many 100's you can do in say 28 minutes, then when you get there begin to look at the clock for the final few yards. Not difficult, just have to count your laps while swimming, or have someone do it for you....
Last edited by: monty: Nov 1, 10 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I want to go postal. How do I sign up?

The 'postal' event is a USMS 'virtual' meet. During the month of January master's teams all over the country are invited to hold a sanctioned one-hour postal meet. Results are submitted to USMS who tabulates them and turns it in to one national list of competitors.

Read here: https://www.clubassistant.com/...c=1308&smid=1761

In this context the 30 minute TT is like the USMS Postal swim, or in a similar format...it's not an actual event, since it would require certification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - To make is super simple - any way we can just set it up as a slowtwitch - "Challenge"??? Or would that be simple... I could also set it up as a guest-book type spreadsheet on my site.

Just thinking that the monthly spreadsheet might get uglied up if everyone who tries this will be adding a new column.

I have never set up a "Challenge" on ST, though, and just looking at it made me think it would be difficult to do so in a way that ranked people according to the lowest time (not to mention having divisions like "poor me, I so out of shape").

r.b.

Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty you have it all wrong. I'm sandbagging now to win later.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 1, 10 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if my previous post was unclear. All I want to know is how to add myself to the spreadsheet. Any idea?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry if my previous post was unclear. All I want to know is how to add myself to the spreadsheet. Any idea?

Sorry. My fault. Given the context, that's what I should have assumed.
Haven't done a challenge before, don't know how you sign up.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [Tri509] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri509, send me a PM with your email address.

Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So you figure out if a 30min TT is required up front, if it is, I'm in horrible swim shape currently!

I declare there shall be a 30 min TT required up front. Mostly because it will motivate me to get and keep my tail in the pool. (I, um, posted this before I went to the gym and then all I did was run 4.5 miles. Bad example I am )

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nov. 2 ---

6.5 mi run
1600 yd swim (2 x (300 swim + 4 x 100 middle 50 drill) + some kicking and advanced doggie paddle drill)

I have a couple PMs from people for spreadsheet access; I will have you in by the end of the day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik - PM Sent for access to google doc.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an idea that I think could work well here. A 500 for time up front, then a T-30 some time later in the month. Improvement rates to be calculated from the threshold power pace associated with each.

To calculate the threshold pace, we could use 2 formulas derived from some stuff that the U. Michigan swim team use(d/s) (AFAIK, I got it second hand and did some of the curve fitting myself). Anyhow, both formulas produce a table of pace times for different distances that are grouped into 5 different "Color Zones". Zone 3/4 is supposed to correspond approximately with threshold pace, and in my experience, it is reasonable. Last time I was actually in shape (2 years ago at the ripe age of 40), I did 2500 yards in a T-30, for a 1:12 per 100 pace. Plugging that into the calculator gave me a zone 3/4 pace on 100 repeats of 1:07-1:09, which was a very good estimate of what I could have held for 20-30x100 on 1:20. The table also gave me a 500 yard zone 5 pace (VO2max) of 5:39, which is what I went from a push one day in an all out 500 during workout during that same time. If I took the 1:08 pace from the 500 for time, and plugged it into the formula, I get 1:06.5-1:08.5 per 100 for zone 3/4, and 5:37.5 for the zone 5, 500 yard time.

This is a good set of relationships for 2 reasons, I think:
1. If you are out of shape, it is a whole lot easier to give an honest effort for a 500 than a T-30.
2. Since the 500 based paces seem to be a tad more optimistic than the T-30, that helps to avoid sand-bagging syndrome too.

So, I submit that we calculate the Zone 3 pace corresponding with the T-500, and compare it to the zone 3 pace calculated by the T-30 table, and declare rankings based on the highest ratio of T-30:T-500 pace.

Pace chart creator at:
http://www.soulswimmer.net/...ce_charts-single.php

Documentation on these come from:
http://www.utswimcoach.com/MD_2005_final.ppt

What do you all think?
r.b.

Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [robertwb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have an idea that I think could work well here. A 500 for time up front, then a T-30 some time later in the month. Improvement rates to be calculated from the threshold power pace associated with each.

If people want to do a 500 yd TT that's fine but a 500 is more of a vo2 max effort and 30 min is definitely threshold

I guess your formulae will take care of that.

But it will be easier to see % improvement if we have initial 30 min TTs and final 30 min TTs

Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 2, 10 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But it will be easier to see % improvement if we have initial 30 min TTs and final 30 min TTs

Agreed. But it will be a LOT EASIER to manage to DO a 500 then a T-30 - and it will definitely help weed out the slack factor on the first one. The percent improvement would be gleaned from the average 100 pace ratio. A little complicated perhaps, but not hard to do in a spreadsheet (quite easy in fact).

Either way, I am game,
r.b.

Quote Reply

Prev Next