Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) - update from IMFL
Quote | Reply

So, here was my big shot at Kona. Went 9.35 last year in IMAZ and missed by 35 secs (had broken seat post bolt that I lost quite few minutes), so it was redemption time.
Training was spot on and the Florida heat preparation was perfect for this race. in matter of fact, that is why I selected IMKY.
As mate of mine says, anything which has KY in it means its going to hurt.....
So day started as planned, swim was solid in 58.10 5th place. Funny thing in that the last 4 IM and 70.3 events, I was 5th after every swim.
Ran thru transition, waved at everyone and jumped on bike.
Feeling strong (got to love the taper), and plan was to target 210 watts on all flats. Hit 250w up hills and haul down them. I am a bulky 157 lbs so i was dialed in on the watts.
So pace was fast and few peeps were hammering. Decided to grab a big guys wheel (legally of course) and let him bring me up thru the ranks.
Plan was working perfect and was in 4th until mile 40, then front wheel feels spongy........ oh the feeling........
decided not to panic, I can change it quick. pull over in shade, 3 minutes and it was all done.
don't panic, don't panic, I can make it up.
Then another 10 miles and i feel the tire go spongy. Lucky for me, it was just near aid station. Had the bike tech use my tube to replace.
don't panic, don't panic, I can make it up.
I head off and getting composed and it happens again. front tire goes flat one more time.
3 flats and only 2 tubes. big problem is that i have deep dish wheel set so need 80mm tube w/ removeable valve for the extender.
I pull over in a shady spot and just wait for sag/help motor bike. well that wait took over 90 mins to finally get help. its one of those things that happen. i must have been asked by about 100 athletes if i needed help. even had 2 stop to make sure.
When the bike tech gets there, he replaces the rim tape as we could find no cause for the flats.
So I have now lost over 90 mins due to the issues. I take off my chip, put in my back pocket and decide to call in a day. Hop back on the bike and decide to soft pedal in it. But after 10 mins of riding, a thousand thoughts had been going thru my head. Things like how am i going to explain quitting to my kids, all that training wasted, how could I leave KY with no medal, Rutger Beke walking IM Kona marathon but wouldn't quit so not to disrepect all the athletes, these were just some of them. (but note, the chip in your back pocket does NOT work as you cross timing mats)
I snap out of it and decide that i didn't come all this way not to finish, especially since there were no medical issues.
I go back to my race plan of riding but with a twist. I was going to become a moving aid station. I stopped and helped a guy with flat, another one with cramps (note to self, don't give all your salt tablets away).
It really gave me an eye opening for different aspect of racing. People that are aiming for 15 hours put just as much effort that a 10 hour racer. If anything, the longer the race goes on, the harder it gets. Plus add in the fact that there was no water at any aid station from mile 56 to 106, yep they ran out. Sure makes things tougher.

I get done on the bike and still have that pesky marathon to go. figure will run 4hr and have fun. Start out and there is a guy who is pacing about 8min/mile. He is on his 2nd loop and named Jimi Young from Lansing MI. Come to find out that he has missed out on Kona last year by 2 mins at this race. I now take it upon myself to get him to Kona. All I ask in return is that he has a huge icy cold beer the night of the Hawaii race. I become a sherpa and pacer. I really did enjoy it, this helping others is a weird feeling......
On the way I pick up my coach Shawn Burke as he has 6 miles to go. We run hard till the end, and i got to talk the whole way, and if you know me, thats not a problem. Near the end I try the hard yelling and tell them not to quit. It was actually fun to get pretend angry at them (felt like boot camp instructor). Shawn has fantastic race and hits 10.04, gets 3rd and books another ticket to Kona.
After Jimi finishes the race (and i checked last night, he was top 4 and going to Kona, so stoked for him). I have another loop to go. By good fortune, I meet up with mate Dan Costello who is doing his first IM. We run the last loop together and really take in the atmoshpere, cheering sidelines and helpful people. It was the most enjoyable 10 miles I had run in any race at anytime.
I get to the finish, kiss my wife before the chute and it becomes all worthwhile.
Still cant bring myself to look up my time but figured about 12.15

So offseason begins, take saturday mornings back to family time, and surfing becomes priority.
Sprint Races from now on.

But seems to waste to not use the fitness I have, doesn't it? mmmmm Augusta 70.3 is still open..... Perhaps I need to make sure there are no community slots for IMFL......... dont want to waste the fitness.....

Last edited by: kmowlam: Nov 9, 10 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [kmowlam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on ya'!

Surf is gonna be good with the storms brewing in South Pacific.
Two mechanicals in two IM's. Un-freaking-believable.

I like how you focused on others. Very cool.

(it looks like no community spots left for IM-FL)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is some seriously neat commentary. Glad you turned it into a neat day.

The water issue for 50 miles is simply inexcusable under any and all circumstances. '92 GFT and we had no water from 70 on in and it ruined my day. Got off the bike with horrific cramps and awful nausea from 46 miles(yes Fred went a bit over budget on the course) w/o water in Florida heat. That was before the days of gels so it was impossible to eat w/o fluids to wash down PB's. I realize that was an early Sommer Sports race and he was learning the ropes on being an RD....he runs a great series now. IMKY is the damn big time MDot, pay through the nose race series. I would go ape shit as a racer with no water for 50 miles.
Last edited by: climbcarolina: Aug 31, 10 6:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most enjoyable race report in years. Sorry 'bout the bad luck. "Cheers" for what you did with it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm dying to know.....did you go over that clincher with a microscope to find anything of note? 3 in one day is crazy bad luck.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [climbcarolina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the 90 mins of waiting, I spent 30 mins sulking, 30 mins of cheering people on and the other 30 mins scouring the tire. did not find one thing that looked like it caused the flats.
and since the 3rd change, that front tire now 2 days later, is still at full pressure, go figure.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the chances your tubes got pinched by something in your saddle bag? I guess that wouldn't account for flat #1, but damn....I would go cuckoo on that one. Did you stuff them in a bottle?

I'm a tubie freak and have only had 1 flat in my life, but damn if that doesn't make me cringe. Maybe it's good luck I don't know, but when/if I ever have a day like that I might go to clincher. OUCH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up...you have good karma coming to you for years and years and years!!!

Thanks again for the company - it made it the best part of the race
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [Biff Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Most enjoyable race report in years. Sorry 'bout the bad luck. "Cheers" for what you did with it!

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice. The real story isn't always who won
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to an otherwise monumentally frustrating day and spin it positively. Class act.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story- this one will come back to you in spades...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome read and you are a winner!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [p3chick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Decided to grab a big guys wheel (legally of course)"

Sounds like cheating to me
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [SD79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not if you are 4 or 5 lengths back.

Greg Richards
Morgan Hill, Ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smart, legal racing within the rules
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am no official but how is “grabbing a big guys wheel and let him bring me up thru the ranks” legal and within the rules? I think that is called drafting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, he said it was legal. How is that not legal????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...I guess you've never used that "pacer" mind trick in a race. You might check into it. Here's a tip for you: If someone passes you and you like their pace...keep them within eyesight or eyeball the distance at a legal length and hold it. That's not drafting that's using a "rabbit" like in track races to set a pace you might not otherwise hold. Totally legal and totally smart. This guy is posting an incredibly positive race report, helping two people qualify for kona and aiding SEVERAL other people along the way while finishing a race that some 25% dropped out of and you gotta crap all over it. Loser is all I can say. Go troll some other post and shoot barbs at someone else.

Haka Multisport, LLC

Discover your inner warrior
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [Moudi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well...I guess you've never used that "pacer" mind trick in a race. You might check into it. Here's a tip for you: If someone passes you and you like their pace...keep them within eyesight or eyeball the distance at a legal length and hold it. That's not drafting that's using a "rabbit" like in track races to set a pace you might not otherwise hold. Totally legal and totally smart. This guy is posting an incredibly positive race report, helping two people qualify for kona and aiding SEVERAL other people along the way while finishing a race that some 25% dropped out of and you gotta crap all over it. Loser is all I can say. Go troll some other post and shoot barbs at someone else.

I gotta agree with this. I pick people out all the time and use them as a rabbit to chase or maintain speed (while staying legal).

Getting back to the point......great report. When we are all suffering out there, it really does help to have that extra "cheerleader" pushing you just a little bit more. I'm sure your body hurt at the end of the race but overall, you felt good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great way to turn around a disappointing string of events. Setting a good example for your kids is a higher accomplishment than a slot to Kona. When the disappointment wears off you will sign up again and you will qualify.

John
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [JJD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well thanks everyone. I posted this for 2 reasons. One was for my friends so they could read about my race. And honestly the second one was so people could respond and hopefully give positive vibes so it would kick me back to training or at least not get too down about it.
But I have been flooded with emails and messages that are astounding.
so thanks again everyone and as mate of mine said "enough of the lovefest, get back out there and sign up for another race"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up and sportsmanship! You do have some good karma coming your way.
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good karma has worked wonders.
thru magic of friends and leads, love of wife and kids, I have gotten entry to IMFL.
9 weeks and counting.

this time I am using steel belted radials.........
Last edited by: kmowlam: Sep 5, 10 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: IMKY Report (40 of racing/100 socializing) - update [kmowlam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one of, if not THE ALL TIME greatest RR's ever. I laughed, I cried, I can't wait for the movie.

If you get to Portland, I'll buy you a Beer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next