Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

about to duct tape my DA ...
Quote | Reply
Ok seriously, what tape should I use to finish the wrap on my extensions? It apparently isn't electrical tape, at least not the stuff I've been using. After discovering for the third time that my wrap job mysteriously started unraveling, no matter how well I taped it the previous night, it finally occurred to me that it wasn't gremlins. I'm not wrapping that tight, but apparently the adhesive can't hack the tension in this heat and humidity. Lesson learned.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been swapping extensions and changing cable housing, hence recycling the wrap. Doesn't make sense to buy new each time. What will keep it in place? Any particular tape or wrapping method? My LBS acknowledged the problem but offered little help, saying they just use whatever finishing tape comes with a new package. I googled but couldn't find any particular brand or type, and most sites advocate simply using electrical tape. Isn't there a better solution? Something industrial strength and non-elastic? Should I just move someplace dry and cool?

Alabama Chrome would fit right in down here, but I'd prefer a slightly more elegant solution for my steed if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: about to duct tape my DA ... [LJefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should use this, not electrical tape, but plastic tape. Comes in many, many colors. Costs a few dollars a roll, or you can get a pack of assorted colors. Avail at most any hardware store:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: about to duct tape my DA ... [Dark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much, hitting up Lowe's today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use electrical tape, as most do. The trick is to put a lot of tension in the bare tape, but really not too much in the electrical tape. Electrical tape don't hold well if there is too much stretch in it.
Quote Reply
Re: about to duct tape my DA ... [Matafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
use a single strand of tape, what is this double tape nonsense? Just wrap it tight as heck in the beginning and not tight at all at the outer end. Smooth out the bubbles and stuff so it doesn't peel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want to get really fancy you can always use heat shrink tubing. it will never come off until you cut it off. some bike builders do this.

you can also use duct tape if you really want to. i used some on one of my bikes because i wanted grey to match my bar tape.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to try electrical shrink wrap on mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hockey friction tape, comes in many colors too

just have to occasionally trim a loose thread and not slippery when wet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, hockey tape: cheap and no slippage.

Swim, Ride, Run & Repeat...
Quote Reply
Re: about to duct tape my DA ... [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about finishing tape, but that's an interesting idea ... do you use that in place of bar tape and wrap the whole grip with that? Is there any cushioning to it?
Quote Reply