Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Photoshop CS5
Quote | Reply
I've been using Adobe Lightroom 2.x for some time now, and have a pretty good handle on the workflow process and using many of the editing features. Really cool program!

Unfortunately, Lightroom has just been dethroned. I installed Photoshop CS5 last night (feel free to send me a key code, if you have any extras sitting around gathering dust). Man o man!! Wow. I'm impressed.

So I have a picture of a house, and I'm trying to re-color the ugly-ish red shutters. I learned how to select the area to re-color, and select the new color, and make the change. However, PS only replaced one shade of red in the shutter. Because there are some shadows, there's a range of red tones I'd like to replace - not just a single color.

How do I change all tones in a range, not just a single color?

Thanks for the help.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Photoshop CS5 [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think Photoshop replaced Lightroom, you aren't using lightroom correctly. Lightroom and Photoshop are complimentary. Lightroom is mostly about organization and workflow where Photoshop is about pixel manipulation. Edits in Lightroom are non-destructive while Photoshop is destructive.

Like I said, they should work hand in hand. CS5 is pretty cool though, enjoy.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Photoshop has a really cool tutorial as part of the program, check it out.

CS

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Re: Photoshop CS5 [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I understand that. Lots of new buttons & menus to play with !!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...Unfortunately, Lightroom has just been dethroned. ....

I really don't think you understand what Lightroom or Photoshop is and how they work. Maybe its time to take a class?

And I can guarantee you that Photoshop did not dethrone Lightroom. Lightroom's competition is Apple's Aperature.
Quote Reply
Re: Photoshop CS5 [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me, I know the difference between the two programs. Obviously, I'm learning to use Photoshop. PS "dethroned" LR in the category of "the coolest program I have on my computer". That's it.

Damn, this is an interesting thread, huh? Sheesh.

Any suggestions regarding my original question?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you think Photoshop replaced Lightroom, you aren't using lightroom correctly. Lightroom and Photoshop are complimentary. Lightroom is mostly about organization and workflow where Photoshop is about pixel manipulation. Edits in Lightroom are non-destructive while Photoshop is destructive.

Like I said, they should work hand in hand. CS5 is pretty cool though, enjoy.

Photoshop destructive? Eh? Someone doesn't have a very good workflow if so. They make these beautiful things called layers for a reason. If you're trying to state that it's not creating a metatag to keep with the raw file, fine, but it's not the same thing as calling it destructive.

OP--try doing a selection based on color range and manipulate your settings. Expect to need to select around a bit. If you need to, build up a luminance mask or two, and intersect it with the color mask you want to get the appropriate pixels selected. Have fun.

I'm not sure the exact commands on cs5, as I'm still on cs3. LR3's beta raw engine is really nice and I look forward to getting cs5 soon (since they use the same engine, and I don't really need the functionality of lr3).

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of research and ended up using Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3. It's superior to Lightroom and for under a hundred bucks it does 95% of what CS5 will do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing beats MS Paint, nothing.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Photoshop CS5 [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you said

If you need to, build up a luminance mask or two, and intersect it with the color mask you want to get the appropriate pixels selected.

i heard

If you need to, build up a luminance ma ^&!%&*^*&~gGpickle~*OJKH*&~^%@lkcoffeeh87^(*&^JIKHHGhuh?J7......

:)

thanks. i'll give it a try.

Quote Reply
Re: Photoshop CS5 [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huh. that's something to think about too. thanks.

but then i won't fit in with with all the cool kids... ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Photoshop CS5 [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing beats MS Paint

that's so retro. my warddrobe's already severly dated. i need to stay current, somehow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I laughed at your response ;-)

Some hopefully helpful stuff (was for me at least!)

http://goodlight.us/...minositymasks-1.html

here's a good start.

Another helpful website is:

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

Both free, both very useful.

Have fun!!!!

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice. thanks again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah! No problemo. I don't know what your photo-editing process is, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm fairly competent, not tremendously, but more than happy to help.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a free basic photo editor that's not too bad and has some decent features, you can download Picasa 3.6 over the net.

http://picasa.google.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you figure out what destructive vs non-destructive means in regards to photo editing, get back to me.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When you figure out what destructive vs non-destructive means in regards to photo editing, get back to me.

Evidently we have very different definitions, but thanks for the patronizing comment. If modifying and rendering an image using solely the raw image and metadata (aka LR) is your sole definition, then yes that's certainly non-destructive. I'd argue, quite comfortably, that using layers to modify a base image is also non-destructive. Anything where you can get back to the original image without affecting the bit, is by definition non-destructive.

Doing anything to modify a jpeg is destructive. FYI, I *might* actually know what I'm talking about, since I do a lot of scientific imaging in addition to photography, where non-destructive is the word.

Peace,
D

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply