Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should add I have UC, dx 2007. From the time I started racing tri's, sprints/oly's in 2004 I was having GI issues, looking back now several years before too. In the winter-spring of 2007 I was on steroids, oral, rectal and high doses of Asacol (Mesalamine). I did nothing, no work or training and started getting depressed. Luckily I got it under control and did some training with my wife, she was training for a half IM. By July I decided to train for my first half IM since I was training with my wife anyway and finished SOMA in Oct.

For the most part I've been under control with diet and low dose Mesalamine. I've gone on to do four IM's and over 20, 70.3's. At my age, 63, I understand never take what we do for granted...it can be gone in heart beat.

Good luck everyone dealing with GI issues.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 24, 15 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
I guess I should add I have UC, dx 2007. From the time I started racing tri's, sprints/oly's in 2004 I was having GI issues, looking back now several years before too. In the winter-spring of 2007 I was on steroids, oral, rectal and high doses of Asacol (Mesalamine). I did nothing, no work or training and started getting depressed. Luckily I got it under control and did some training with my wife, she was training for a half IM. By July I decided to train for my first half IM since I was training with my wife anyway and finished SOMA in Oct.

For the most part I've been under control with diet and low dose Mesalamine. I've gone on to do four IM's and over 20, 70.3's. At my age, 63, I understand never take what we do for granted...it can be gone in heart beat.

Good luck everyone dealing with GI issues.

Very cool. Sounds like you've been pretty active and raced quite a bit with your UC. I have Crohn's colitis, so I feel I can relate to UC patients reasonably well. Twenty 70.3s. That is outstanding.

May I ask what you do nutrition wise for your longer events?
Quote Reply
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
try giving a rest to teh almond products and nuts until you're out of flare. good luck!

Thanks for the input! That's a hard sell :). I'd be giving up probably 400-500 calories a day, and quite frankly I'm not sure what I'd replace them with! That is pobably the hardest part for me- getting enough calories (like many with IBD).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about avocado? again - just while in flare. almonds are GREAT but can be a little diarrhea producing in IBD folk.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
how about avocado? again - just while in flare. almonds are GREAT but can be a little diarrhea producing in IBD folk.

I have a bag of avocado in the fridge. Bought them last week. Unfortunately the damn things won't ripen. I cut one open when I got home from the grocery store. Not edible! Just took a taste again. Sour. Oh well. Maybe I'll just buy another bag :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear many are doing well.

I agree with those that have said to avoid popcorn, nuts, raw fruits and veggies in a flare. Roughage like that can really screw you up...especially in a flare.

My story has taken a bit of a different turn. Back a few years, 2012, I raced in Vegas at the 1/2 WC's. That was my last race.

I'd been nursing a back injury that became debilitating. I then had a job that was also debilitating and eventually caused a sever setback with the crohns disease. For 18 months I was in bad shape thinking another surgery (Small bowel resection) was in my future.

Left that job and a huge chunk of stress behind and now am in a great job. Finally, after a ridiculous amount of time I figured out my back issue. Props to my bro-in-law Stephan who lurks on this forum for giving me advice on a PT for this type of issue.

Unfortunately 6 months ago in rehab I tore the meniscus in my left knee. I'd had full reconstruction on the same knew 15 years earlier in college. Had surgery on the knee and was getting better...and then did the exact same thing again. I will be having my 3rd surgery on the same knee this coming Friday.

To say I am out of shape is an understatement...diet has always been an issue as I really can't consume veggies as I'd like to with the crohns...so I've ballooned up about 50lbs over the last 3 years.

I am hoping to get in decent shape again after the knee is fixed, but I think racing at a high level will be out of the question.

I always thought it would be the Crohns that stopped me from racing. Funny how the world works.

Quote | Reply
BBWI,
I'm sorry to hear that things have been rough for you. I was definitely wanting to hear from you as you were a big contributor to the thread a few years ago. Sounds like you've been through a lot the last few years. But it also sounds like you're focused/determined to get well again. I'm finding that mental approach is a pretty important part of the battle/process. Get that knee squared away, and get back on the bike/in the pool. That you were able to race the 70.3 worlds with IBD is huge. What does your diet look like these days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on the UC or Chrohn's, but I can help w the Avocados:
http://www.whfoods.com/...=foodtip&dbid=16

Avocados don't do well in fridge. Store in brown paper bag.
To ripen one faster, put in brown paper bag w an apple or tomato.
Should ripen fairly quickly because they need some "encouragement" from the extra ethylene gas from the apple or tomato.
Enjoy!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I ask what you do nutrition wise for your longer events?
-----------
For long course I always take Imodium just after my visit to the green hut. I'm not recommending this just what I do. I never do this in training just for races, I don't want to take a chance. I eat most of what out on the course BUT I limit gels and sports drinks, I can eat most of the other stuff at events. To be honest in IM's by the time I get to the run it's mostly broth, water and coke.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My diet is not good, and unfortunately after my surgery, the prognosis isn't good either.

Had the procedure yesterday and I'm pretty close to bone on bone now. I was still out of it when I talked to the doc, but meniscus replacement(transplant) and partial knee replacement were discussed.

As is, running is out of the question. Perhaps a different procedure can help with that, I'm not really sure yet.

Quote | Reply
Hi all, its nice to know there are other ST'ers who also have crohn's and colitis.
For a little background, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in my large intestine at age 16 in early 2012, after about a year of intense suffering and several incorrect diagnoses. Luckily I haven't needed a surgery and am now doing well with Humira, Mercaptopurine and Lialda. Though the Specific Carbohydrate Diet was ineffective for me, I still make the scd homemade yogurt, as I believe it has helped. I have a pretty unrestricted diet.

I have been doing tri's for about a year now, and have seen pretty solid improvements. I went to collegiate nationals this year and am going to be doing my first 70.3 in about two weeks. I was hoping to echo the question from earlier in this thread about nutrition for longer races- for my half I plan on using Skratch Labs mixes, but need to find some way to get more carbs while limiting GI problems. Does anyone have any recommendations for in-race nutrition? I recognize time is running out before my race but any suggestions are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [PGelbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PGelbach wrote:
Hi all, its nice to know there are other ST'ers who also have crohn's and colitis.
For a little background, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in my large intestine at age 16 in early 2012, after about a year of intense suffering and several incorrect diagnoses. Luckily I haven't needed a surgery and am now doing well with Humira, Mercaptopurine and Lialda. Though the Specific Carbohydrate Diet was ineffective for me, I still make the scd homemade yogurt, as I believe it has helped. I have a pretty unrestricted diet. E

I have been doing tri's for about a year now, and have seen pretty solid improvements. I went to collegiate nationals this year and am going to be doing my first 70.3 in about two weeks. I was hoping to echo the question from earlier in this thread about nutrition for longer races- for my half I plan on using Skratch Labs mixes, but need to find some way to get more carbs while limiting GI problems. Does anyone have any recommendations for in-race nutrition? I recognize time is running out before my race but any suggestions are appreciated.

I found that following a low carb high fat diet prior to my Ironman races has reduced my need for as many carbs.
Then dosed up on Loperamide whilst on the bike and used on course nutrition .
Mind you I've had j pouch surgery to deal with my colitus
Quote Reply
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [PGelbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally i stop doing long distance all together, i run out of energy after 2 hours, also i am 50, and been doing try for 29 years (15 with Colitis), i take no medication, my diet is only carbs, good luck to you
Quote Reply
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been a reader of this forum for awhile now and am glad others are speaking about their IBD experience. I would like to share mine since I have been able to learn from everyone else. I was diagnosed with pan ulcerative colitis in 2005. After a serious flare I did well for about 10 years and stopped meds in 2008 feeling well and in total denial that I had any disease! I started running in 2009 and triathlons in 2011. I've been able to finish many half marathons and 3 70.3s as my longest distances. I am really slow at baseline- totally back of the pack. The last 70.3 I spent quite a bit of the run in the porta johns (I have gotten over my fear of gross porta johns- when you gotta go you gotta go!). I had blamed my nutrition strategy (honey stinger waffles) and it was probably a UC flare that was the problem. I had a wake up call with another big flare this spring while training for a 70.3. Training has gone by the wayside as I recover on prednisone and lialda. Prednisone has not done wonders for my weight which I always struggle with. However, I am happy to begin running again without cramping or diarrhea. I am still avoiding group runs and make sure there is a toilet on my route. I have been signed up for another 70.3- barb's race- in July and will do the swim and bike and do not plan the run as I am not really in shape to finish and don't want to have any set backs with my recovery. i. e. I do not want to cook my colon! I wish I had perfect health but I am glad to be out and beginning some training again! Good luck to everyone and thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Things are settling down. In week 3 of a 5 week prednisone taper.

Thought some folks might be interested in this. New drug in clinical trials. Oral. GED-0301.

http://www.ccfa.org/...ed-double-blind.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UC diagnosed last year.

My stomach shuts down after 1 bottle of sportsdrink or even plain water during 1/2 ironman. DNF, vomiting,...

Before UC I could eat anything during a race.

Does anyone has a magical solution to solve stomach problems on race day?
Quote Reply
Re: athlete with crohn's disease [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
UC diagnosed last year.

My stomach shuts down after 1 bottle of sportsdrink or even plain water during 1/2 ironman. DNF, vomiting,...

Before UC I could eat anything during a race.

Does anyone has a magical solution to solve stomach problems on race day?

No magical solution for everyone, but Lara Bars, Kits Organic (Clif Bar), and Honey Stinger honey gels seem to work for me on the bike. HIM is on my list, but haven't attempted yet. I try to stick to simple sugars so my gut doesn't have to do too much work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next