Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Isues with distance training and toenails
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had ongoing issues with toenails falling off / hurting from running or other multisport training? i have heard that some people can get them removed permanently. Has anyone done this, and is it a good option?
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [sethwealing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toenails are nature's way of telling you that you're not running enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good friend of mine had two of her toe nails surgically removed as she was having continual problems with black nails, infections etc. She thinks that it was the proper thing to do and years later does not regret having had it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Has anyone had ongoing issues with toenails falling off / hurting from running or other multisport training?

I think the better question is, has anyone ever *not* had issues with toenails during multisport training?

some ultra runners get them removed permanently. ultrarunners are weird, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my one (big toe) permanatly removed. I think I had to take 10 days or so off of running. That was about a year ago and have had no issues since then. Looks funny though.

Nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [WillyMFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just getting 2 of my toenails back from last season. turned black, had to remove them (ick). Man hope I get to rock the flip flops this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've removed many nails permanently (matrixectomy), but the vast majority of runners do not need this (ultrarunners, esp the ultra trail guys/gals not withstanding).

However, each time you traumatize a nail, the chance for it to regrow deformed or with a nasty fungal increase increases ... then you might want it permanently removed.

Last edited by: rroof: Jan 29, 10 19:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know this seems weird, but after 3 marathons and 1 HIM, i haven't lost a toenal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of karate and now triathlon, I can't think of a time when one or both of my big toenails weren't regrowing. I had one kind of grow in funny this time so I pried it up with a knife and pulled it off. It hurt like hell, but it felt better after about ten minutes after hurting for weeks when I ran. The worst for me is a hilly race course with lots of descending. Rhode Island 70.3 killed my feet last year. The second time down the big luge hill was agonizing, even walking.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i know this seems weird, but after 3 marathons and 1 HIM, i haven't lost a toenal

It's not weird; it means you have better-fitting shoes than others who posted on this thread ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

It's not weird; it means you have better-fitting shoes than others who posted on this thread ;-)

I agree with that for the most part, however "It's not about the shoes." No shoe fits perfect. They are an unnatural adaptation. It's kinda like bike crashes. . . if you haven't crashed, you just haven't ridden enough!
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly! I have been at this for more than 15 years and have NEVER had one single toenail issue. I also don't have calluses, bunions or blisters. In fact, a PT once told me that I had the best looking feet he had ever seen on an endurance athlete. :-)

I even get my pedi's to last a month!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try not to look at mine--which have never been the same since playing basketball in Converse Jack Taylor's 30 years ago on the high school basketball team. I just wish they'd go away.
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've lost two toenails in the past, but none in the years since going up a half size in shoes and being more diligent about toenail trimming. Perhaps for some people it's not about the shoes, but for others it is.

P.S. Not to say that my feet aren't ugly and calloused. They are.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Last edited by: aliciap: Jan 30, 10 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I lost 8 of 10 toenails while training for my first marathon.

Afterwards, I realized my Asics weren't fitting my foot properly, my toes were curling down, and that was what was causing the problems.

I switched to Brooks which fit my foot better, and haven't had a problem since.

So, searching out shoes which fit your foot properly might be a better fix for the vast majority of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Isues with distance training and toenails [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I normally have issues with 1 nail every other year but rarely ever lose one.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a general problem with runners that have the second toe longer than the big toe. those fall off all the time. the issue is with the big toes. mostly the pull up in ski and randonee boots. this makes pressure under the nail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish my toenails would just fall off. Instead, they turn into approximations of these:

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply