Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pay forward: Volunteer!
Quote | Reply
All:
We all benefit from the host of volunteers making this great sport possible.

How about looking at your season calendar and picking a race to pay forward?

Which race will you volunteer for this year?

Ours: The Muncie Endurathon

Stindiana
http://www.munciemultisport.com

never take more than you give

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pay forward: Volunteer! [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volunteering for a for-profit-organization? I don't think so!

LaRo
Quote Reply
Re: Pay forward: Volunteer! [laro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Volunteering for a for-profit-organization? I don't think so!

What do you think your race fees would be like if they had to pay everyone?
OR
How many races do you think you would get to race if nobody volunteered?
Quote Reply
Re: Pay forward: Volunteer! [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Muncie Endurathon is a non-profit organization, comprised of a 100% volunteer Board of Director...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that the vast majority of triathlons are non-profit (intentional or not).
I would love to see any business plan for a successful triathlon that did not have volunteers.
I helped out at Rockman for all three years, Chip allowed my son to race for free. I got to see a lot of good racing and triathletes.
Volunteering is not a bad way to spend the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great idea. After my injuries last summer, I couldn't race, but I was able to volunteer at local races. It was a great experience and both the athletes and the race directors appreciate someone who knows what is going on. It is nice to give back once in a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep moving forward, just keep moving forward...

~~ I am no longer broken... ~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good karma.

My bike race team has a volunteer requirement, plus the team also helps put on the largest cross series in NorCal.

Last year I volunteered at IM AZ, which was lots of fun.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to pay FORWARD. I'll be volunteering at a Lewisville Duathlon on February 6th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard that some of these volunteer positions don't even get paid!!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i volunteered at nyc tri last year for the 2nd time and got to see some great racing. also it allowed me to have early entry into this year so i didn't have to stay up until 12 only to have it sell out in 8 minutes and miss out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for volunteering for the Endurathon, I would, but I'll be racing that one. As I have moved to the longer distance races, I typically volunteer for several of the TuxBro sprint races. I don't care if it is a for profit/ not for profit group, it's just the right thing to do, and I enjoy hanging out with my friends who are in the races (I usually am able to help out with the swim start and with the finish).

I also do it for the shirts - I'm known for wearing race t-shirts year around.

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm as Republican as you can get, but without volunteers for triathlons, its going to either be a miserable day while competing or you wont be competing at all because the race wouldn't exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laro:
Really. Why would it matter to you if it is for profit or non-profit. The early triathletes in this sport didn't stop racing because some one was making a living in the sport. Do you really think our sport would survive if it was not a business?
Did you thank any of the volunteers as you swam, biked and race past them at your last race?
Never take more than you give?

Stindiana

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pay forward: Volunteer! [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that i'm disagreeing that people should volunteer to help at races and its great they do. But why would it be a miserable day without them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered all last year, and it may have affected my race performance. Several hours of shouting, moving heavy objects, sweating in the sun, getting burned, wildly flailing arms to give directions, running from one area to the next, almost getting clipped yelling at athletes to dismount, laughing histaricaly when they don't dismount and ride right into T2 because they didn't listen....

I'm limiting my volunteering to NYC Tri and Timberman (I owe you Kieth) as I think these are the races that really need help and I don't plan to race them this year. Although NYC Tri is the week before IMLP. I wonder if they will let me just apply suntan lotion to the pro women?????? I have soft hands!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pay forward: Volunteer! [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody handing out fluids/gels on the run/bike
Nobody directing the athletes so they don't get lost (that doesn't happen sometimes anyway, haha)
Assistance before races, i.e. finding where something is

AND, race fees would be substantially higher because RDs would have to pay for many positions that are volunteered now.

These are RACES, I dont want to have to worry about whether I packed enough fluid on the bike or took a wrong turn.
Quote Reply