Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Swedish goggles.

I second that. Swedish Goggles and also

Leppin Gels (box of 10 on sale just NZD$10 or about USD$7)

chocolate milk recovery drink.

Tap Water in drink bottles! :-)

Torpedo7.co.nz for cheap bike specials and awesome delivery and service! (no I don't get paid by them, just love their products and service)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pearl Izumi's running gloves. Thin, black, and ridiculously warm for how thin they are. I run in them in sub-freezing temps with no issues. Put a pair of standard bike gloves over them, and you have a superior cold-weather biking glove, with far better dexterity than the standard winter biking gloves. Best thing...I've had them for at least 5 years, and they show very little wear. Frickin' awesome.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I had calipers before, but digital calipers have changed my life.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello last tri in 83 and All,

x2

>The Champion line of shorts, tech T shirts and fitted long sleeve shirts from Target.<

and compression shirts - about $20

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [dominator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, but what I remember from ikea is that their shipping on the bag is prob about $159 ;)

was going to buy a couple nightstands there but the shipping was more than the stands

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am spoiled... I've got an Ikea across town. want me to pick up a 59 cent bag for you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PUR water filter. No longer buying $10-$15 of bottled water every week. Filter lasts 2-3 months and about $8 or so ea on eBay when bought in bulk.
$2 gloves at a dollar store. Work just fine for any run or ride unless it is colder than 35 degrees.
And especially a wheelbuilder disk cover to hide that plain jane rear wheel of mine. Cheap aero as others have mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1 cheeseburgers from McD's or BK. Fat, sodium and some protein, great for recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Performance bib shorts (not the Ultra, but the step down). Same quality as my PI's that I paid 3x more for, better than any Castelli's I own and (gasp) just as comy as my Assos (which I won't admit how much I paid)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Rappstar and All,

$5 at your local skateboard shop for 12" x 48" piece of material .....

.... The sticky back waterproof sandpaper (some in colors and graphics) that is used for non skid surface on skate board deck.

It is a great way to replace handlebar tape for a more aero and better grip.

On the bike it is easy to apply (and later remove) and your hands will not slip.

Wipe the area with an alcohol wipe and dry - cut to fit with backing still on - remove backing and very carefully line up and stick it on.

If you move your hands a lot you can wear out your gloves on the sand papaer. If this happens apply a thin layer of Shoe Goo to the worn part of your gloves and let dry over night.

Gloves will be good to go and will not wear out again for a long time.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Dec 24, 09 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Shoe Goo. I just used it to fix a pair of boots for the third time. It will give me two more years of wear.

This is a great thread.

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baby Red Potatoes:
------------------
For fuel on long rides, nothing beats baked baby red potatoes, cut into quarters and nicely salted. Key is to make sure they are the small baby ones and keep 'em wrapped in foil/baggies after baking & salting so they stay moist. May not sound too good sitting in front of the computer, but is just what you want in the middle of a long ride. Nice break from the sugary stuff and costs almost nothing.

Chamois Creme:
--------------
Noxzema cleansing cream for ~$4 14oz jar at Walmart versus 'special' chamois creme for 5x the cost (or much more). Works great and still gives the tingle just like the expensive brand name stuff. Didn't believe it could be as good, but once tried, have never used anything else.

Both of these are tips from pro bike racers that I now use all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [paulthejogger70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ooooppsss, forgot about that use. Keeps the wallet and cellphone dry on a wet commute home.

or a particularly sweaty ride/run (every single time for me...)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Generic bulk Maltodextrin.

$50 for 50 lbs shipped UPS. Even cheaper if you get it at a local wine dealer.

Put 1 cup per 22oz standard water bottle + whatever cheapo flavoring you can get at the grocery store (I use a generic "orange drink" that's $2 for like 40 servings) and you've got a long distance endurance drink that gives 400cal/bottle, contains the same main long-sugar ingredient that makes up 90+% of similar endurance products (if not 95%+), and it costs about 1/10th to 1/20th the cost of commercial products. (Compare to Hammer Perpetuem, which is about $50 for like 5 lbs.)

Where do you order your maltodextrin from?

~Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would add Yaktrax to your list if you are running in packed snow/ ice....... at $40 they may not be considered "cheap" but they are incredible. I got mine for xmas and have run in them 4 times and they make the footing amazing...... these are a must have.

Goody two layer headbands from Wal-Mart. You get 5 for 3 bucks. Perfect for under helmet or running. Another hidden gym at wally world are the Starter running socks. They are every bit as good as my under armour and asics brand socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M&M Minis tubes. Perfect salt tab dispensers. I like the bigger ones as they're easy to handle with sweaty hands and tuck into race kit. Cheap enough to throw a few extras in transition or special needs bags without feeling any obligation to actually pick up.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M&M Minis tubes. Perfect salt tab dispensers. I like the bigger ones as they're easy to handle with sweaty hands and tuck into race kit. Cheap enough to throw a few extras in transition or special needs bags without feeling any obligation to actually pick up.

I think you're a heathen for removing something perfectly good from the inside of them and replacing it with salt tablets. ;)

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For cold weather runs Marine watch cap .44 at the PX is the cheapest I have found. Paired with those one-size-fits-all stretchy gloves for .99 and I am set.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Last edited by: WryMouth: Dec 29, 09 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuelbelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
president's choice blue menu rich & creamy eggnog for post-workout.

1 cup/240ml = 220cal, 3g fat (2g saturated), 38g carbs (33g sugar), 11g protein. add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg, and you even make it anti-inflammatory. goes for about $3CAN for a 1L bottle, so $0.75/serving. tastes like bottled awesome.

hurry, though - we only get 30 noggy days a year, then the government takes it away..

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Dec 30, 09 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

<$10 for smoke lenses.

x2

I use a $7.99 pair of Home Depot yellow safety glasses for overcast / rainy days. Add a 'Chums' elastic to hold them on your head and you have a perfect set of racing glasses - UV protection, tough and the make the world seem a bright and cheery place.

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I was going to say sandwich baggies......great for keeping those toes warm on a cold day.

i like them for a ipod case in the rain

For long bike rides, I sometimes put a sandwitch in mine... Its out of the box thinking but it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [mgalanter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

<$10 for smoke lenses.

x2

I use a $7.99 pair of Home Depot yellow safety glasses for overcast / rainy days. Add a 'Chums' elastic to hold them on your head and you have a perfect set of racing glasses - UV protection, tough and the make the world seem a bright and cheery place.

I was just browsing through Costco.com and saw these...hehehe...they even are rimless across the top for TT/Tri use...and of course the etched flames at the temples can only add to the speed ;-)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503884&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114&N=4000472&Mo=53&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=860&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Cheap Equipment [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think my sportcraft rollers is my favorite cheaper thing now.

Prev Next