Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [cyclingdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for answering all the questions. Super fun to read.

You are very welcome.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
ever try turkey bacon?
BTW, thanks for the great race reports and this thread. They are very helpful and the nutrition information has helped me tremendously.

Turkey bacon is not bacon. There is no "turkey belly" from which to make real bacon. Turkey bacon is basically turkey meat and fat which is ground up and then molded into a slab and then sliced. Turkey bacon is not "real food," IMO. Jill made me eat it once. I would not eat it again.

Turkey bacon comes from the same part of the turkey that "nuggets" are located on a chicken ;-)

BTW, speaking of "belly meat"...how does one make "chicken fajitas"?? I didn't realize that chickens had a plate or a flank cut...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you have against nordic natural capsules?

When was the last time you lifted weights.

nice job

teagee
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [teagee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What do you have against nordic natural capsules?

When was the last time you lifted weights.

nice job

teagee

I don't think the capsules are as good. Generally, the oil seems to be better preserved if you keep it in a refrigerator; that's the thinking anyway. Plus you are paying for capsules. If you are traveling a lot, capsules are certainly better than nothing. But if you are buying for regular consumption, just buy the bottles.

I do some functional movement exercises during the year. I don't do them every week. But they are all strength-balance exercises, so not traditional lifting of weights. I.e., do you count pushups as lifting weights (it's essentially as good - or better - than bench press)? If you count things like that, then probably a few months ago. If you mean traditional weights ("howmuchyabench?"), probably a few years.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two questions:

1. If you were to go out and ride the IMAZ course in the middle of your IM build, same conditions, same effort, but no taper, no fast wheels or helmet, etc, how quickly would you do it (ride time, not counting water stops, etc)? And would that time make you say, "Okay, I'm ready to ride 4:22", or did that beat your expectations?

2. How many training hours will you put in THIS week?

Thanks, and congratulations again on the wins and the wedding.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing post, loved reading through it, congrats on the win and wedding.

Not related, but are you going to be at wildflower this year?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Two questions:

1. If you were to go out and ride the IMAZ course in the middle of your IM build, same conditions, same effort, but no taper, no fast wheels or helmet, etc, how quickly would you do it (ride time, not counting water stops, etc)? And would that time make you say, "Okay, I'm ready to ride 4:22", or did that beat your expectations?

2. How many training hours will you put in THIS week?

Thanks, and congratulations again on the wins and the wedding.

-Colin

1. I don't know. Never really bothered to think in those terms. And I don't think I would. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

2. 12ish

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Amazing post, loved reading through it, congrats on the win and wedding.

Not related, but are you going to be at wildflower this year?

Yes, I'll be at Wildflower

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was reminded of this question reading one of the ultraman articles in which one of the competitors (Kregar) mentioned he ran off HR and Ribeiro ran off pace so they were pushing each other up and down the hills.

I think you said you run off Pace and PE for the run (not HR). How much do you ease off the pace up hills? Do you try to keep the PE constant or the pace fairly constant?

thanks
Last edited by: moulli: Dec 15, 09 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
although you eat gluten free, why do you choose to use a product that has it? does it bother you stomach?

I am refering to the Clif apple crisp drink
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
although you eat gluten free, why do you choose to use a product that has it? does it bother you stomach?

I am refering to the Clif apple crisp drink

I'm assuming you are referring to the coloring agent? Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup Solids, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Citric Acid, Salt, Natural Flavors, Dipotassium Phosphate, Color Added (Wheat Fiber), Dicalcium Phosphate, Caffeine, Magnesium Oxide, Green Tea Extract (Decaffeinated).

I will admit that I actually didn't even know that's what they were using. It doesn't seem to be enough to ever cause me any trouble. The world is an insidious place.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [moulli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Was reminded of this question reading one of the ultraman articles in which one of the competitors (Kregar) mentioned he ran off HR and Ribeiro ran off pace so they were pushing each other up and down the hills.

I think you said you run off Pace and PE for the run (not HR). How much do you ease off the pace up hills? Do you try to keep the PE constant or the pace fairly constant?

thanks

I try to (relatively) ignore pace on the hills and go by PE that feels similar to the effort I was putting out on the flats when I was running at the pace that I wanted to. Does that make sense? It isn't my most eloquent sentence, but hopefully it works. I.e., pace is the guide on the (relatively) flat sections, then you just try to carry over that effort level to the non-flat sections...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your strategy for climbing steep hills during racing and training?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [yoondaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is your strategy for climbing steep hills during racing and training?

Training - whup some ass
Racing - probably a ceiling race effort + 10%

That's generally true regardless of length. I.e., you can trash yourself just as much (or more) punching it over rollers as you can going too hard on a long climb.

EDIT: as an exercise, go into analytic cycling, for example, and see what would happen if you rode a longish climb say 10% harder (power wise) then you rode the rest of the course. Then compare that to riding the exact same wattage (roughly, since that is hard to do on big downhills) across the whole course, but only riding the whole course 0.5% faster. Greg_climbs and Lakerfan helped me with this after I raced IMC the first time. I was sure I lost tons of time on Yellow Lake by not riding I harder. They pointed out that riding 30w more (what I *thought* I should have done) for those ten minutes was basically negligible as compared with what I would have gained if I'd even ridden the whole course even just 2w harder on avg.

Last edited by: Rappstar: Dec 17, 09 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan....this post is very helpful since I am doing IM France and Wildflower next year where there is lots of long climbing and lots of zero watts.

So to help me out:
  1. at Wildflower what % of FTP should I ride the climbs (should it be same as on flats for half Ironman)....is the answer 90%....or just stick at 85%
  2. at IM France what % of FTP should I ride the climbs....is the answer 75% or should I just stick to 70%

thanks

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Jordan....this post is very helpful since I am doing IM France and Wildflower next year where there is lots of long climbing and lots of zero watts.

So to help me out:
  1. at Wildflower what % of FTP should I ride the climbs (should it be same as on flats for half Ironman)....is the answer 90%....or just stick at 85%
  2. at IM France what % of FTP should I ride the climbs....is the answer 75% or should I just stick to 70%

thanks

Dev

1. 90% - for Beech Hill, Nasty Grade, and then the last climb up after you descend from Nasty Grade. I think you can ride these hills as high as 95% or more, but 1) you have to really fit (lots of time on the bike, which is maybe not practical depending on the time of year) and you have to have been very patient in the middle of the course.
2. IM France, I don't know the course well enough to say. You can usually go at 80%, but anything over that tends to be risky without knowing the course really well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan:

So a question occurred to me lat night and I thought I would throw it your way.

2009 was a monster year, a break out year for you and I am wondering if you attribute this to your new coach, your maturation as a strategic athlete, or simply figuring out how to put it all together? Or was it getting engaged? Ok the last one is a test and your wife will be watching.

Thanks,

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Jordan,

It's basically flat for an hour 90-120 minuts of hills, 1 hour of descents and another hour of flats.
Le VELO Parcours Vélo
Le parcours vélo de l'IRONMAN France - Nice Triathlon traversera 13 villes et villages de l'arrière pays niçois, dont Gourdon, élu plus beau village de France.

Commençant et finissant à Nice ce tracé enchantera les athlètes durant 180km.

St Laurent du Var, Gattières, Vence, Gourdon et Gréolières,entre autres, accueilleront et soutiendront la compétition du milieu de la matinée jusqu'à 17h environ.
NOUVEAU : Plan cyclisme INTERACTIF
CLIQUE ICI pour le plan interactif du parcours vélo Ironman France.

* Le parcours ne suit pas toutes les courbes de la route, la distance finale ne représente donc pas la distance réelle.

La beauté du paysage fera vivre un moment inoubliable aux concurrents.

Huit ravitaillements offriront aux athlètes les apports nutritifs nécessaires à cette épreuve cycliste, sans oublier le poste de ravitaillement perso situé à mi-course.

Commentaires du parcours par Yves Cordier Liens
Commentaire du parcours vélo par Yves Cordier
Saint Laurent du Var
Saint Jeannet
Gattières
Carros
Vence
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's basically flat for an hour 90-120 minuts of hills, 1 hour of descents and another hour of flats.

I'd say cap yourself at 80%, for the time you are on the hills. If you are honest within that cap, you should be fine. It's the little spikes that kill you.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan:

So a question occurred to me lat night and I thought I would throw it your way.

2009 was a monster year, a break out year for you and I am wondering if you attribute this to your new coach, your maturation as a strategic athlete, or simply figuring out how to put it all together? Or was it getting engaged? Ok the last one is a test and your wife will be watching.

Thanks,

Bob

D) all of the above :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah....climbing at ~210-220W almost feels like falling asleep, but in reality that's a good thing if you have to run a full marathon right afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you coach me for Ironman St. George?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Power] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will you coach me for Ironman St. George?

PM sent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you wear the 310XT from start to finish or only on the run? Also, while running do you watch your AVG pace or current pace?
Thanks, and congrats!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [ships] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you wear the 310XT from start to finish or only on the run? Also, while running do you watch your AVG pace or current pace?
Thanks, and congrats!!

Just on the run. I have it set to autolap every 5km. While running I mainly focus on a screen which shows lap time, current pace, and lap avg pace. My alternate screen is total time, current pace, and avg pace for the total run.

Quote Reply

Prev Next