Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
**UPDATED Nov. 30, 2009** The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread
Quote | Reply
If you poke your head over to the front page, you'll see a new article called Rappstar's Ironman Arizona Charity Challenge. The article explains pretty much everything, but the condensed version is as follows. I am trying to raise $15,000 to sponsor a school in Zambia with bicycles from World Bicycle Relief. $15,000 sends 100 bicycles and provides for the training of two field mechanics. To raise this money, I'm asking all of you (and more people out there in the WWW and beyond) to chip in. But, as much I know you would all donate just for that warm fuzzy feeling inside, I've decided to offer you a bit more than just total consciousness (which is nice). I've put together some pretty sweet prizes. And there are more coming (I hope). The big prize is a complete SRAM RED TT groupset worth $2600. And there are more awesome prizes.

To enter the raffle you need to donate $134 here: http://grassroots.kintera.org/Active/Rappstar. You can donate less than that, but you won't get a raffle ticket, just that happy feeling of having done something nice. If you donate more than $134, you can get multiple raffle tickets, one ticket for every $134 you donate.

You can also snail mail donations to this address, but make sure that we have a way to get in touch with you in case you win:
World Bicycle Relief
Attn: Katie Bolling (Rappstar Raffle)
1333 Kingsbury Street
4th floor
Chicago, IL 60642

The raffle will be held digitally. Basically, we'll dump everyones name into a database and then run a random number generator to pick the winners. We're going to go on a rolldown format, where you get to pick the prize, then then next person gets to pick, etc. So you can take whatever prize you want.

If you visit the donation site, you'll see that I've donated $126 to start. That's because $15,000 doesn't divide evenly by $134. So I chipped in the difference as a starter, so that if 111 raffle tickets are sold, we'll hit $15,000 exactly.

Okay, fire away with questions, comments, etc.

UPDATES 2009.11.30:

Okay, that's all. The raffle portion is closed as of 7:31 EST. You can still donate, but the raffle tickets are set as of now. I will commence with the randomizing of numbers and drawing of tickets.

Thank you very, very much to everyone who donated. Collectively, we have raised $23,157. All of that will be matched as well, meaning that through our efforts, $46,314 will be going to support World Bicycle Relief!

UPDATES 2009.11.26:

Highway 12 Vineyards has donated TWO mixed cases of their wines (separate prizes), including some of their very special reserve wines. http://www.highway12winery.com/ Michael Sebastiani, the founder, is a passionate triathlete, coach, and ST forum member! Thanks Michael & Highway 12

UPDATES 2009.11.20:

I have some new prizes that aren't listed yet. But I'm working on getting them up.

Specialized has donated two prizes:
- a MEDIUM (only medium, no swapping frame sizes) Specialized Transitions Expert Frame, Fork, Seatpost and Saddle
- a set of Roval Fusee Star wheels.

Simon Whitfield & Orca Publishers have donated 100 copies of his new book "Simon Says Gold" that will go to the first 100 people who gave (or give, we aren't at 100 people yet) $134 or more.

NormaTec has donated a one month rental of the NormaTec MVP system (you can pick the month)

Speedplay has donated a set of chrome-moly Zero pedals and a Speedplay hat or beanie, t-shirt, and socks

Scott Williford of the Mansfield Group (a rep group in the industry) has donated a Giro Ionos helmet, Giro Advantage helmet, and Giro Filter sunglasses.

The really exciting part is that about halfway through the raffle, we found out that an anonymous donor has agreed to match ALL gifts to WBR up to $1,000,000 (yes, that is the right number of zeros). So my new goal is to raise another $7,500. That sets a target of $22,500. But if we meet that, we'll have raised enough to sponsor THREE schools with the matching gifts.

Because of the late prize notice - and the amazing volume of prizes - I've decided to extend the raffle one more week. So we'll end it Sunday, Nov. 29 (well really Monday morning when I wake up and start sorting the prizes).

I also found out I can get involved with the Janus charity fund via Ironman, so that's gonna get some more bicycles as well.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Nov 30, 09 4:34
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan - You need to remove the period from your donation link. It makes the URL invalid.

Otherwise, excellent!

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan, I just want to say that I think it's awesome that you're doing this. I've never heard of WBR, but it looks like a great organization that's definitely worth supporting.

Thanks.

Fred
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tweeted and Facebooked. FWIW

Will you be selling tickets right up until IMAZ? I need to save my pennies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan

AWESOME initiative and thanks for allowing us all the chance to participate
You're now $134 closer to your goal...

The following summarizes your contribution:
Total Contribution Amount: $134.00
Reference ID: 100251110
Participant Credited: Jordan Rapp

Thanks so much for contributing to the further education of these kids through something as simple yet productive as a bicycle.

Kudos to you and I'll be sure to spread the word today and over the coming weeks.

Kick ass in Tempe!!

AJ
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [hedfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to sound like a jerk but is the donation tax deductible?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per the email confirmation of my donation I received this morning...
Yes they are tax deductible
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not to sound like a jerk but is the donation tax deductible?
Yes indeed. World Bicycle Relief is a registered 501(c)(3) charity, so all donations are 100% tax deductible.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tweeted and Facebooked. FWIW

Will you be selling tickets right up until IMAZ? I need to save my pennies.
I'm going to sell for as long as I can. If/when we hit the $15,000 mark well before the race, I will have to figure out what to do. I never really considered that possibility, but my goal would be just to get even more prizes and to continue to allow people to buy tickets. But I'm not sure if that's fair, since it sort of seemed like it'd be limited to 111 tickets total. I guess I'd ask for feedback from the people who donated about what they felt was right (in private of course, so people could say they felt that was unfair if they wanted). I figured we'd come close, then I'd have to race to make up the difference and probably hit up my family for the rest! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great charity.

I've never heard of them, thanks for bringing them to our attention.

Good Luck in AZ!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done. Not deductible in Canada, yet somehow more gratifying than the new bike I'm thinking of buying myself, for fun and ego, so no biggie...

Good for you for finding a creative and meaningful way to give back...

Bryan-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another $134 in the bucket. Glad to help & very happy to see people supporting such a worthwhile cause.
Good luck in Arizona.

Quote | Reply
Currently at $4296. Wow!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just facebooked it. Great charity project, best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, Rappstar. Made my donation...my company matches also. Facebook'd the link as well.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In. See you at AZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 134 bucks. Kick ass in AZ.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another "jerk" question. how long do we have to pick the raffle item if we happen to win?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Another "jerk" question. how long do we have to pick the raffle item if we happen to win?
I'll give you approx. 24 hours (not less, but maybe more as I'll be traveling a bit that week) to get back to me, unless you tell me in advance that you won't be available from X->Z dates, in which case I'll just ask you to rank your picks ahead of time so that I can choose for you based on what's available.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total Contribution Amount: $135.00
Reference ID: 100293300

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

Thanks for contributing and setting this up for such a worthy cause! Good luck in IMAZ!! I think it will hit 15K before the race...........Once again thanks for setting this up.

Reference ID: 100294489

Brad

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Last edited by: afbadbrad: Oct 20, 09 2:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan,

I'm in. This helped me forget about my own problems and remember how blessed we are compared to many others.

Reference ID: 100298654

"The only easy day was yesterday"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! We blasted through the 6,000 mark and are close to $6500 pending some matching corporate contributions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to sub-saharan Africa and I can say that providing bicycles is very meaningful. I met guys that had been walking for up to 8 days to reach our location just to meet with us. If I found their home towns on the map correctly it was an Ironman some of it through harsh terrain.

These guys will embark by foot to reach a place hundreds of miles away (not the school kids you mentioned, just people in general). I'm talking about Southern Sudan specifically though. It may be different in other areas.

I saw some old rundown bikes, but imagine that repairs and spare parts were hard to come by.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Rappstar IMAZ Charity Challenge Thread [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been to sub-saharan Africa and I can say that providing bicycles is very meaningful. I met guys that had been walking for up to 8 days to reach our location just to meet with us. If I found their home towns on the map correctly it was an Ironman some of it through harsh terrain.

These guys will embark by foot to reach a place hundreds of miles away (not the school kids you mentioned, just people in general). I'm talking about Southern Sudan specifically though. It may be different in other areas.

I saw some old rundown bikes, but imagine that repairs and spare parts were hard to come by.
The distances these kids travel to school is really far. But WBR also gives bicycles to farmers; they can carry five times as much produce to market riding, and even more than that if they use the bike like a "pushcart" where they walk beside it and have it loaded up, so it makes going to a market or to trade much more profitable. And they give bikes to healthcare workers, many of whom can visit many more villages - and carry many more supplies - by bicycle. The other nice thing is that every WBR bike is exactly the same. Which makes repairing them much easier. You only need spares for one bike. Plus they are designed with some "Africa specific" (for lack of a better term) features, like 4-ply nylon (instead of the standard 2-ply cotton) tires and an extra heavy duty rack that make them ever better for their intended use than just sending any old bicycle would be.

Quote Reply

Prev Next