Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT
Quote | Reply

This post is for those that have ever considered using a pacing device such as the Finis Tempo Trainer on the swim leg of a race. I realize that it is better to have perfected internal tempo. I would also like to have a sub 5:00 mile run pace and 25+ mph bike pace. Until then, I will use a Garmin 305 and a power meter.

The tempo trainer is legal if the device is not placed on your head. According to Charlie Crawford at USAT, the device would be legal if attached to your neck or the upper part of your wetsuit. Below is text from the email exchanges.

Is a tempo trainer for the swim race legal? There is conflicting information.
The Finis is sort of a metronome, as I understand it. The problem with it is wearing it somewhere on the head. A compelling argument could be made that it is a "headset" and as such would be banned. So, if one wears it on a belt or wrist or somewhere other than the head, we would allow it. It is not considered a personal audio device.

To further clarify, if the finis was attached to the neck or top of wetsuit, it would be legal?
Attaching it at the neck or top of the wetsuit would be legal.

As a practical matter, I will try a clipping my tempo trainer to a headband and placing it around my neck.

Many thanks to Charlie Crawford for a timely response.
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [WindyCityClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better bring print-outs of that email exchange to the race with you...might very well get a very different answer on the start line.
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [WindyCityClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would really doubt it if anyone would know if you kept it in your cap. It does work that way. If it's legal to use...go for it! Is it a headset...debatable.
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty good swimmer and a pretty crappy cyclist and runner. I have been training with the finis on the strap of my helmet and the back of my hat . . . for bike/run cadence purposes. I guess it would be ruled a headset for me too then if I wore it as such on the bike/run portion of the race?

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, this would be legal to have on the bike and run, this corner case has been there for years, and no one has, in the past,
worried about it.

My opinion, it is something that could take away a racers focus, and be a safety issue, just like music. I also think it is "outside" assistance, again why
music is not legal.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Charlie is wrong on the interpretation, the tempo trainer is a pace aid and should be disallowed as such. The tempo trainer is in no way a headset, that's ridiculous. Yes, I know that Charlie is probably by definition right since he is the guy who does interpretations.

2. When was the last time you saw an official during a triathlon swim? If nobody cares about course cutting, then your tempo trainer is not something anyone will care about either.
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to Charlie about this today, and I did give my opinion that it is wrong, IMO.

But, he told me metronomes have been legal before he was hired, and so far, some talk about changing the rule, but just talk.
He told me I could not put music on my bike, but could use a metronome on the bike and run, as long as it was not on my head.

Interesting corner case.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was asked by someone in the audience at Nationals in Tuscaloosa and Charlie said it without hesitation or equivocation: "metronomes are legal as long as they aren't in your ears"

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked this exact question for Florida 70.3. I was told it was NOT legal. I did not mention where I was going to wear it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put mine under my swim cap at the base of the skull in training. Works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Why someone would WANT to wear something like this is hard for me to understand ... at least in a race. Yes, I own one and find it somewhat annoying in a pool, but in a race where you regularly have to change pace to work in with surrounding swimmers, it would seem totally worthless and just a piece of ballast. I don't care if anyone uses one ... please do so I can have a good laugh.
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the tempo trainer is a pace aid and should be disallowed as such."
---------------------------------------------

So are a power meters, HR monitors, cycling computers, watches, and mile markers.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: Finis Tempo Trainer race legal? The definitive answer from USAT [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"the tempo trainer is a pace aid and should be disallowed as such."
---------------------------------------------

So are a power meters, HR monitors, cycling computers, watches, and mile markers.

Haim
And supporters or spectators shouting out splits. Maybe we should ban everything and everybody and just have athletes on the course ;-)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply