Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer
Quote | Reply
Which one and why?

Thanks!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TACX has THE WORST service you will ever ever find in a company.

Not in that the actual customer service reps are bad, I mean they are, but that's not it. It's that the company has outstanding technical issues that just flat out don't get fixed.

The fortius was for sale for four years before they admitted there was an issue with using with 110V power. They kept selling them in the meantime. When the recall was finally issued, I think it cost you $100 to get it fixed.

Right now the tacx flow + virtual reality unit has an open issue in the power formula is off by about 40%. They admitted this to a user, he posted it on their forum, that was about 4 months ago. There has been no solution or further admission and sure not a recall.

Stay away from tacx
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a Tacx flow for years, for the price it was a decent trainer and got me in good shape. The computrainer is nice, there are a lot of cables and the design is pretty dated, including the whole graphics and software to control it, but it has a nice erg function and will give you accurate numbers. It's pretty expensive for a product seems to date back to the Regan administration in terms of technology. The Erg videos are a lot of fun to use w/ it.

Tacx documentation, software and customer service is a mess, I would not be inclined to buy an expensive computer driven trainer from them.

A used flow isn't a bad bet. Or a powertap and stationary trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.

Everyone says Computrainer is the best, but my experience using them also leaves me with the impression that it is very outdated. Yes, the resistance unit works great, but the plastic casing over the unit, the wires and the computer concern me. The number one thing I hear about buying a used CT is that the wires and electronics are most likely in need of being replaced.

Anybody have experience with the Powerbeam? I've read some reviews and people primarily focus on spinscan, programming workouts, interactive media.... I'm not concerned about any of this. I want to use it in the manual mode and I want a ergo trainer that is accurate, durable and well made.

From what I can tell, out of the three, the powerbeam is the easiest to upload into WKO+/Trainingpeaks.com

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the great things about Computrainer is that replacement parts/wires are readily available and cheap, and the company has -great- customer service. Their trainers just work.
And with regards to being 'dated', I've used the Tacx Fortis, and the 3d software is no better looking IMHO. It's pretty much the same idea. And both trainers now offer the 'real video' stuff. Plus, with the Tacx, I ran into lots of software issues, and also found that climbing on the tacx was horrible, very 'choppy' feeling.
If you want to avoid the eventual upgrade, just buy the CT to begin with (get a used one if you can get a good deal).
My .02
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about Cycleops Powerbeam vs. Computrainer

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained for 1 year on a CT, and the last 4 months on a PowerBeam Pro. I will say that I lately only ride it in the Ergo mode, so here is my take on it.

-you can't ride actual courses on the PB (yet?), but I don't miss this feature. I'm sure saris is working on this.
-if you type in the desired wattage numbers into both head units, then the CT increases it by 5 watts, the PB by 10 watts increments, which can be more than you want in that moment
-in Ergo mode, the wattage is able to increase by 1 watt in both CT and PB
-the CT allows you to work at a percentage of you LT wattage, I haven't found that yet with the PB, so I have to type in actually wattage number(s) when creating workouts.
-creating these workouts is a real pain with the CT, and very easy with PB. you can also copy full workouts and create a new one, which helps for the problem above
-the PB stores up to 10 workouts in the head unit, so you won't have to run your computer when training on it. big advantage over the CT.
-transferring new or deleting old workouts is easy on the PB, so if you run out of space with your 10 workouts stored in you head unit, it's quickly to resolve.
-the resistance and the head unit on the PB are not wired like the CT, which sometimes at the beginning of a session can take some seconds to adjust itself. once that's done, it's a non-issue. the less wires for me, the better.
-the PB is mac compatible, which was the main factor for me to go with it. CT is PC based.
-the PB looks better, and is less expensive.
-both systems are quiet enough, and don't have any wheel slippage issues;
-the effort level at a certain wattage seems very comparable in both systems.
-I rode my powertap wheel on the PB and the two numbers were dead on. good to know.
-after training, you can very easily import your workouts directly in the SARIS Power-Agent software.

that's it for now.
Last edited by: kus: Aug 24, 09 4:32
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That answers all of my questions.

Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the personal evaluation and insight on the ct. vs. pb. - three months has gone by since that post, can you shed any more light on it? i'm very interested in the powerbeam.. is there a newer version of it coming out for 2010 that i should wait for?

thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about kurt kinetic with power?
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really liking the Powerbeam Pro. In a month, they will be releasing the Powerbeam with the Joule 3.0 computer - I'll be purchasing the 3.0 to go with it. The current computer is very nice, though.

It adjusts keeps wattage on track with changes in cadence very well
it's super quiet
The new Cycleops frame/stand is the best I've ever used.
just as, if not easier to get a bike into than the 1upUSA
an even more stable platform than the Kurt Kinetic
one simple flip of a switch and resistance unit is tightly placed against the tire (the true downfall of the 1upUSA)
quieter than computrainer
no wires (except to plug in) for cadence or the computer
much better/updated than the computrainer which has electrical problems over time and the resistance unit and plastic cover feels cheap in comparison to the Powerbeam pro
The Powerbeam has the ability to set slope (%grade) and you can upload your Joule info to recreate the % grade of a ride to reride at any intensity.
It is open source, so they are allowing 3rd parties to create 3-D software (I want to see an online, World of Warcraft/Halo style game/riding program, something where you enter your planned workout for the day and adhering to that is the goal, not so much racing others, though that would be an awesome function as well, a lot of options)

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jan 27, 10 5:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of problems with the Tacx Flow. It's relatively cheap, but would still warn anyone away. Also, setting one up is pretty terrible. They might have improved this on the Bushido, to be fair.
I now have the Fluid pro--non power, and would echo what everyone has said about the frame and set-up--it's really really nice. Can't comment on the power unit for Saris, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluid pro or Fluid Jet Pro, two different frames. the Jet Pro being the same frame as the Powerbeam that I raved about.

My morning trainer-riding partner uses the Kurt Kinetic power and does great with it. It's accurate within a consistent 10 watts and is just like riding a trainer with a power meter in terms of fluctuation where as the powerbeam/computrainer keeps pretty much right now set wattage.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jan 27, 10 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the Joule is compatible with older Power Beam units? I may have to pick one up now.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [poorb0yw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
TACX has THE WORST service you will ever ever find in a company.

Not in that the actual customer service reps are bad, I mean they are, but that's not it. It's that the company has outstanding technical issues that just flat out don't get fixed.

The fortius was for sale for four years before they admitted there was an issue with using with 110V power. They kept selling them in the meantime. When the recall was finally issued, I think it cost you $100 to get it fixed.

Right now the tacx flow + virtual reality unit has an open issue in the power formula is off by about 40%. They admitted this to a user, he posted it on their forum, that was about 4 months ago. There has been no solution or further admission and sure not a recall.

Stay away from tacx

I agree, they are just brutal, the instructions are incoherent, the software is a buggy mess and the customer service is difficult at best. It's just not worth taking the chance. For an "OK" sort of product, I found the Tacx Flow got the job done for a reasonable cost without all the VR stuff, the wattage doesn't translate to the real world, but you get a repeatable ergo trainer for under $400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Tacx Fortius everyday. I have zero problems with it. I called Tacx in Illinios (ps?) 2 weeks ago and they sent the new software disc without a problem. I didn't want to mess with a bunch of downloads from the internet so they sent me the new disc. No installtion problems at all. Worked perfect from the get go. I've had my unit for over 3 years, my motor brake failed and they sent a new one in 4 days for free.

I've found no problems with their service.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the fluid jet pro that I have and really like. No power though.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbeam Pro vs. Tacx Bushido vs. Computrainer [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have a Tacx Fortius which I currently use with the new Tacx Trainer Software 2.0 (TTS) and over all I am pretty happy with teh system but...

Bought my trainer from Ocshner - the US distributor located in Illinois; Tacx the parent company is actually located in the Netherlands - at Interbike a few years back and while I have used the Virtual Reality and Real Life Video aspects, I primarily use the Catalyst (ergo mode) program for power based training routines that would be problematic out doors in traffic. As others have said, the companies customer support has been spotty and at times non-existent, and I have not been without my share of woes. For example, the company introduced the TTS software as part of a US Motorbrake upgrade which addressed an issue in which US 110V users suffered a 26-mph speed limit regardless of how much watts your were cranking out and when I tried to install TTS encountered enormous difficulties due to the vaguries of the onscreen instructions. Once installed and running, yes there have been some additional albeit minor annoyances encountered during training sessions such as application crashes as a result of switching between certain Google Earth views but once Identified, the issue can easily be avoided. Also, since I still primarily use only the Ergo mode, that really is not much of an issue for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Jan 28, 10 7:26
Quote Reply