Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite!
Quote | Reply
If I retrospectively subtracted the total energy input into my diet from ice cream in the last 6 months, I would either be dead or a walking skeleton. Same goes for choc chip cookies, peanut m&ms and liquorice. I disgust myself with what I eat, but because there is no evidence visible to others of my diet, there is no pressure to stop. All of my fats/cholesterol/BP etc tests are perfect, BF% is great, so nothing to worry about there.

Sometimes the only reason I train is so I can come home after and eat a bowl of triple chocolate ice cream with a warm brownie on top. It's like crack to me.

If I didn’t train I would be a 250kg monster. Is anyone else like me or am I a freak?
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [bobbyjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a slave to ice cream. After my run yesterday, I looked at the calories burned on my gps and was calculating how many more I needed to earn a pint on Ben & Jerrys.
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [bobbyjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's intake:

cinnamon raisin bagel
egg bagel with butter
Snapple iced tea
decaf coffee with Irish Cream creamer
leftover moo shu pork (1 pancake)
can of Pepsi
Hershey's bar
2 tacos (ground turkey, lettuce, refried beans, cheddar cheese)
peach iced tea
Thin Mint Blizzard (took the kids)
cinnamon raisin pastry

They don't call me "1 pack abs" for nothing. But my results might say something different with 12 AG wins in the past three seasons (look 'em up on athlinks.com)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: Med Tent Man: Aug 11, 09 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to fuel:

1). Nutella
2). Pop-Tarts
3). Coco-Puffs or Cinnamin Toast Crunch
4). Chocolate Milk
5). Jello Pudding Snacks (okay, Fat Free)
6). Dreyers Slow Churned Yogurt Blends
7). Entenmann's Pop'Ems (donut holes) and/or visit to the local bakery for a fresh box!!!

Of course, all of the above are strictly purchased as "snack" foods for the kids...

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thin Mint Blizzard (took the kids) "

They are sooooo freaking good.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally try to eat pretty healthy...lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, little dairy.

But I have a serious weakness for the following:

In-N-Out Double Doubles....usually I break down every couple weeks.
frozen yogurt or ice cream, especially in the summer
Oreo cookies
real Coke...no diet crap.
Lays potato chips....I can't have just 1. Shoot, I can't stop at 50.
peanut m&ms...just about every time we go to the movies, I'll eat a bag.

ok, I have to stop..I'm making myself hungry.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must confess, Mountain Dew is my favorite.

But junk food, in general, makes me sick if I have more than one junk meal in any 72 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're definitely not alone here.

I murder an entire 16" pepperoni pizza most Saturday nights. Plus I go for these big chocolate-chip-cookie-ice-cream sandwiches they sell at the corner gas station- they've got 500 calories each, almost all from sugar, and I'll usually have two at a time, several times a week.

Like Louis C.K. says, "The meal's not over when I'm full... it's over when I hate myself."

Oddly, I think soft drinks are the devil. I'll look at the "nutritional" information on a bottle of Coke and think to myself, "There's no way in hell I'm consuming this garbage!"

Quote | Reply
Post ride: malt Ovaltine, always.

Post long brick: waffles w/ peanut butter, Nutella, and maple syrup.

Nightly: a beer. Boddington's w/ dinner or Sam Adams Imperial Stout if it's later. Good stuff costs...

Ice cream w/ fudge and caramel in it w/ Nutella on top- de rigeur.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first two years in the sport were very disciplined & deliberate...ate very clean foods, refueled precisely, trained hard & consistently.

The last 18 months I've developed a very sweet tooth and my diet has turned to sh*t (relatively speaking)...I still avoid burgers & pizza (maybe once every two months) but my lunches & dinners are getting bigger, I drink far too much fizzy crap and eat waaaaay too much chocolate (daily, without fail).

Still easily the most ripped dude at the pool though...sux to be me I guess ((sigh))

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apple Fritter and two taquitos for breakfast.
Red vines for pre/post work out.
Cinnamon Pop Tarts as a snack (screw the fruity stuff)
Ramen Noodes to make sure i get my protein.
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [applesauce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For about the past 6 years I have been eating 3 packs of pop tarts every morning for breakfest.

I make sandwiches out of them. One Hot Fudge Sundae pop tart combined with a Chocolate Fudge pop tart and a thick layer of peanut butter in the middle. My wife says this is probably at least 1500 to 1600 calories.

They are so good I wake up at 3 to 4 AM thinking about them. I then get up and eat them, go back to bed, and then wake up a few hours later to go swim. After swimming I will get a Bacon and Egg Biscuit from a little place called Chic Fil A. Freakin awesome tasting!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to be heavily in the train to eat camp, but after some words of advice I am now eating to train. Massive difference to my weight and performance!

That said after races when I let myself relax a little I can seriously pack away the junk food! I dread to think of the number of pastries I ate in Roth in the recovery tent and at the awards the next day! Since Ironman UK I've packed away a giant pizza and far too much cake. What can I say after months without refined sugar my mother's home-made fruit cake was hard to resist! Then there was my grandmother's puddings... And being British an incident of tea and biscuits where I think I massacred 3 or 4 whole packets of biscuits!

Fun, but glad to be back into my training diet now.

--
Blog - Twitter - Coaching - Training Camps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use MyPlate on the LiveStrong website (maybe I should set up a group?) to calculate my daily calorie intake v. expenditure and then use this to justify my chocolate habit. Rest days mean a small bar, long ride days equal a couple of pounds of the stuff.

Results are good and to the uninformed I appear to be one of those 'lucky' people that can eat anything they want and still stay thin and race hard.

Quote | Reply
no triathlon possible without pizza, junk food, chocolate and ice cream.
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [Pants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good pizza is not junk food! It wasn't until the americans started making them that a piece of bread, tomato's, olive oil, olives, fresh meat and a little bit of cheese turned into a piece of crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely with you, except I train to drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train to eat, and to a lesser degree drink beer. I'm a sucker for any baked good, ice cream and dark chocolate. I'll often eat most of the Tollhouse cookies I bake for the family. My girls got me an ice cream maker for Fathers Day that may be my undoing. The homemade ice cream blows away anything store bought and is right up there with the best local ice cream places. And the homemade hot fudge... I could go on and on. Yet at almost 43 I think I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. And racing well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat frozen pizza (and the whole pizza, I mean) at least 2x a week. I have a severe weakness for enormous bowls of ice cream with whipped cream and cookies...right now, I am on a kick where I line the bottom of the bowl with crushed Teddy Grahms, then top with Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream, then more teddy grahams, then a big pile of whipped cream. I also consume WAY more wine and beer than I should (a bottle in a night isn't uncommon). I can't have cereal in the house b/c one box= 2 servings. And god help me, but I love the Chinese and Indian buffets.

I'm not all junk all the time, though...I do love to cook, and when I cook, I try to keep our meals balanced and use healthier stuff when possible. But the problem is, I eat a LOT. Trust me, there are NOT 8 servings in a box of pasta. 2, maybe 3. :p

I am TOTALLY a work out to eat person. :D

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Last edited by: mmrocker13: Aug 12, 09 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [Sir Fed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use MyPlate on the LiveStrong website (maybe I should set up a group?) to calculate my daily calorie intake v. expenditure and then use this to justify my chocolate habit. Rest days mean a small bar, long ride days equal a couple of pounds of the stuff.

Results are good and to the uninformed I appear to be one of those 'lucky' people that can eat anything they want and still stay thin and race hard.

Dude, if you are measuring what you eat, you do not have a junk food problem. :p

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train to eat here! My diet is a mix of good and crap, but my vices are:
-Drink a can of Coke with lunch and one with dinner every day.
-MUST have something sweet after lunch and dinner. That's generally something baked like a huge brownie, cookies, cake, etc. or in a pinch, a Rice Krispies treat (they sell them in bulk at Costco), or a candy bar (love Butterfingers!).
-At least once a week I'll down a burger and fries, either made at home or from McD's or In-N-Out.
-I have potato chips with lunch usually.
-I get my subs/sandwiches on French rolls instead of wheat rolls.
-Pepperoni pizza, the greasier the better, is my favorite food.
-I actually find myself daydreaming about my next meal when I'm training, and will pick up the effort when I plan to eat a really big meal that day.

My outlook is, I don't drink, smoke, etc. My vice is the occasional junk food and I love it! It's one of my enjoyments in life, even if it's not great for me, and to me, it's my reward for getting up at o-dark-thirty every morning to train. I am able to hold my weight at about 155lbs (I'm 5'8") and my wife tolerates it, and hey, this is a hobby, not my life, so even though I might be better/faster if I went on a full-on hippy diet, I was be pretty damned unhappy.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Aug 12, 09 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am giving serious consideration to baking some tollhouse peanut butter/chocolate cookies and then smothering them in nutella.

Anyone ever watch the cartood Ducktails as a kid? I can't remember his name...but the rich duck always swam in his money and gold coins in his big vault.

I would swim in Nutella if I could.

Quote | Reply
only reason I run, train, & do triathlons, so I can eat ice cream every day guilt free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody wants to be cool, everybody wants to be happy. I stay cool by eating a Rita's Cafe' Ritaccino once a week, extra custard.
Quote Reply
Re: Train to eat or eat to train - junk food addicts unite! [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken,
Actually we shortened your name to '1-pack'. Sounds better.

Jeeze, I thought I ate bad - the occassional McDonald's, chocolate shakes, cookies, and Coke. No wonder why you pass out at the end of Olympic distance races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next