Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sub-4:45 1/2 Im'er vs. Thug.......
Quote | Reply
So some guy tried pulling the "you broke my glasses" scam today as I was walking from work in NY. He very ostentatiously bumped into me and dropped him glasses, insisted I broke them and should give him $95. Luckily I picked up on it and called him on his bullshit and started walking away. He followed me and became very belligerent and started grabbing my arm. I told him not to touch me and if he wanted we could go to the police station around the corner and I'd be happy to sort things out. He shouted "get the fuck outta here!" at me then walked away.

Luckily he was scared off by my mention of getting the police involved, but it got me wondering - if it had come to a physical confrontation, would the shape I am in have given me an advantage? I was definitely much bigger than him but who knows what he was on or what sort of iron he can afford to pump with all the money he gets by scamming unsuspecting people.

I am not looking to go start fights with a bunch of thugs, but it just got me wondering if all my training could potentially aid in my survival in the concrete jungle haha.

Quote Reply
Re: Sub-4:45 1/2 Im'er vs. Thug....... [bachorb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was the target of some very aggressive behavior of a 7yo camper at my job today, just short of telling you the little guy attacked me. I reacted first and pushed him off me - fear set in after, that he could probably completely take me if he really wanted to. Fortunately he is not malicious, just has anger issues that I was the target of today.

I figure I can outrun them at least :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not looking to go start fights with a bunch of thugs, but it just got me wondering if all my training could potentially aid in my survival in the concrete jungle haha.

No. Unless your plan is to take them in a 1km footrace and leave 'em in your dust ;-) Unless you know how to street fight, and are prepared to do the down and dirty things needed to win one, I'd not count too heavily on a sub 4:45 1/2 IM getting you more than a passing "what the fuck is a triathlon?" from most folks in NY or Detroit (where I grew up) or any other big city.

That's why I was never afraid of my expensive tri bike being stolen off my dad's porch whenever I rode in to visit him in Detroit from where I lived (about 20 miles away, in a suburb): Nobody in that neighborhood knew anything about bikes other than it was good to steal a Schwinn or a Huffy and who the hell cared about any other kind? The fences wouldn't give you anything for them, after all.

Now, there's fighting and then there's the kind of fighting somebody out on the streets knows how to do. If you're not prepared to defend against a knife or an icepick or some sort of shank -- let alone a gat -- don't get in a fight with those scumbags. You did exactly right in talking about the cops and then walking away.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concealed Weapon License,carry and tell the bitch to back off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember, NEVER bring your speedo to a gunfight! Doesn't matter whether or not you could have taken him, NEVER take a chance. If it is you or him, I would rather not be 6' under.

Problem in NYC, most people can't legally carry a weapon. SO when that asshole grabs your arm and pulls a knife what are you gonna due.

Here in MY state, if my life is threatened with a weapon, I have the right to defend myself with whatever means necessary.
Last edited by: Walter_P_Doyle: Jul 27, 09 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-4:45 1/2 Im'er vs. Thug....... [Walter_P_Doyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just remember, NEVER bring your speedo to a gunfight! Doesn't matter whether or not you could have taken him, NEVER take a chance. If it is you or him, I would rather not be 6' under.

Problem in NYC, most people can't legally carry a weapon. SO when that asshole grabs your arm and pulls a knife what are you gonna due.

Here in MY state, if my life is threatened with a weapon, I have the right to defend myself with whatever means necessary.

In YOUR lovely state, arms traffickers buy guns, illegally transport them to NYC with ease and sell them to thugs like the guy who tried to get $95 from me. That's how the vast majority of illegal guns get into NYC and a lot of other urban areas as well. A lot of "Mom and Pop" gunshops making a killing (pun intended) selling guns to these people, then when NYC tried to get them prosecuted for it they hid behind their 2nd Amendment bullshit.

I don't see how pulling a gun on the guy would have helped anyway - I doubt he was carrying, and if he was and pulled a gun on me, if the choice really came to killing someone over $95, I would have just given the dude the money. Not worth $95 to have to live with the thought of having taken a life for the rest of my days. The self-defense argument for firearms is entirely nonsensical - if you kill anyone with a firearm that you own, there is a 60% chance that person will be YOU (not that I have a problem with Republicans killing themselves....), plus another 20-30% chance it will be a loved one. It provides an entirely false sense of security - gun ownership makes you much more likely to be killed by a gun.

Regarding my situation, stomping on the guy's neck with my sub-2:25 HIM bike legs (and my 190lb ass), that is a thought I can live with :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you could get him to chase you for about 10 miles before throwing down, yeah, maybe you have a chance.

Otherwise you would probably be in trouble.

Endurance training won't help you do anything other than run away for a really long time.

"It takes courage to do it, to be a runner. We all found that out a long time ago. Because it's about more than fatigue. It's about pain, and dealing with it for a long time. And its about resolve." - Quentin Cassidy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I'd shoot his sorry ass in a heartbeat.

2) You've obviously never had to fight to save your sorry ass, have you? BK is right.

3) "stomp him with my sub-2:25 legs"...dude, methinks you think a bit too much of yourself. You get into a street fight, you'll get your legs and your ass handed to you and you'll be lucky if all your body parts work afterwards. Being just as fit as 25,000 other guys does not make you a street fighter.

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-4:45 1/2 Im'er vs. Thug....... [Boudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

2) You've obviously never had to fight to save your sorry ass, have you? BK is right.

3) "stomp him with my sub-2:25 legs"...dude, methinks you think a bit too much of yourself. You get into a street fight, you'll get your legs and your ass handed to you and you'll be lucky if all your body parts work afterwards. Being just as fit as 25,000 other guys does not make you a street fighter.

I was being facetious.

You'd really kill someone over $95? Really?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're kidding right? You would likely get your ass handed to you. Most triathlete's can't even bench press their weight. I would put a street "thug" up against any triathlete. Just cause you can swim bike and run fast doesn't mean you can take punch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd shoot his ass in a heartbeat if he threatened me with my life.

R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd shoot his ass in a heartbeat if he threatened me with my life.
OK, I can understand that - I just thought you meant if he was trying to steal your money.

Another funny thing - this guy was doing this scam 1 block from Foley Square and Federal Plaza in NYC. If you know what that means, that means that at any given time there are several hundred FBI Special Agents walking around the area coming to and from work, all in plainclothes and all carrying cuffs and a gun at all times. I bet this goon has no clue and is going to do this to the WRONG guy in the near future haha.

I do agree that the average thug could whoop my ass - this guy was quite scrawny though. Most of them I am sure could stomp the shit out of me, regardless of my bike split :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a 140lb farmer take a 250lb biker down and bite his nose off...

R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've seen a 140lb farmer take a 250lb biker down and bite his nose off...

Haha seriously? Was the farmer on meth or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding my situation, stomping on the guy's neck with my sub-2:25 HIM bike legs (and my 190lb ass), that is a thought I can live with :)

Good luck. I grew up with -- and had to fight, a couple of times -- guys who went maybe 150 or so but who knew how to fight. Point of fact, in high school, while walking home, I saw one guy casually turn around, pick up a small chunk of sidewalk and bash another friend of mine upside the head just for saying the words, "kiss my ass."

We of course all jumped on that guy (no such thing as a "fair fight," I've found out) and pounded him. Another time, during a pickup sandlot baseball game, we all took after each other with the ballbats the Police Athletic League (PAL) had kindly given us to facilitate our play ;-) I ended up with a deep bruise on my lower back and glutes from trying to FLEE, FLEE, RUN AWAY!! when the action got a bit too serious.

Is this any way to carry on civil discourse? Of course not, and as I matured I found the best way to handle just about every situation such as you described is to do as you did: Walk away and call for the police. Don't make the mistake of thinking that 190lbs. will scare away much street life in the big city.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Think more along the lines of "kick him in the balls with your sub-2:25 HIM bike legs then run your ass away with your sub 1:30 HM legs and you're talking. If forced to fight, that should always be your first point of attack, then eye gouging, then whatever you can bite (and hope he doesn't have HIV or hep-B).

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of them I am sure could stomp the shit out of me, regardless of my bike split :)

2:25 bike split: That's great! What' going on with your run, off the bike? Maybe that 190lbs.? ;-) Work on the run-after-the-bike-thingie, buddy. Picture that scrawny little scumbag in front of you when you come out of T2. It'll help you, believe me ;-))

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless he was snapping his fingers and singing about Jets and Sharks, I take the thug every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You see in Texas we don't usually have stuff like that happen. As any street thug knows, that 50% of Texans are packing so there is a good chance you start crap like that scam you'll eventually get yourself shot. And the best part is that the only advice the police will give you is the recommendation to kill the thug as its less paperwork to deal with than just injuring the thug.

Now as far as your 4:45 doing any good. Your joking right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you freakin' kidding us?

Do you really think that triathlon fitness (or any endurance based fitness, for that matter) has any bearing whatsoever in a fight?

I really hope for your sake that your strategy is to run away. You'd get your ass handed to you in nothing flat - and the faster you are, the worse your odds.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put it this way - if you got in a bar fight, who would you want backing you up - the 120 lb 2:10 marathoner or the thug?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its not just your $95

its the $95 dollars of the person after you, and after that

and whatever other madness he is up to

while a bullet to his head is one less welfare case, and cleanses the gene pool.

its really quite efficient!

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I was being facetious.

You'd really kill someone over $95? Really?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-4:45 1/2 Im'er vs. Thug....... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might need to know some fighting techniques to have the proper confidence to strike if needed, like this kid who's probably on the wrestling team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiwu-5LSSn8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ANSWER: Practice maximum velocity scrotum kicks.

Each leg, close proximity.
Quote Reply

Prev Next