Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMCDA love of the sport!
Quote | Reply
This is my first time postung on ST in quite a while, but I wanted to report on my great experince at IMCDA. This was my first IM and my expereince led me to realize how great all the athletes and spectators are. My race was a bit unique b/c I had a great swim--despite the waves!--BUT in mile 2 of the bike I fell and thought I dislocated my shoulder.I got back on my bike and despite the increasing pain just told myself quitting was NOTan option. My other mantra was "I am strong". Both worked despite the increasing pain and occasional moan from pain or tears. Standing climbs were awful, but I was able to use both arms to ride--the most pain was when I had to transition from my handlebars to my aeros--which I tried not to do too much that second loop.

It wasn't until transition that I learned that I'd broken my collar bone....yep. 110 miles with a broken collar bone. I have no idea how I did it. But again, quitting was not an option so the docs fashioned a sling and gave me some ice and I was on my way. I had 9 hours to walk the marathon. It's at this point I was feeling a little sorry for myself but obviously time goals were long gone, I just didn't relish the thought of walking in the cold for 9 hours. HOWEVER, I have NEVER experienced such support and encouragement from people before in my life! The athletes (passing me!) and spectators were truly amazing. Their support, cheers, and kind words brought me to tears and stopped my pity party. I felt wonderful, although still bummed to walk 26.2 miles. After about 3 or so miles walking I decided to try running and for the next 23 miles was able to do a combo of walking and running. Along the way I met so many great people. Plus I was able to finish the race in 13:15!

I felt such a sense of accomplishment and again such continued support from the athletes, it was amazing. Even the police helped my hubby get our car and bring it to the finish so I didn't have to wait long before going to the hospital. I became "that girl in the race with the sling".

My experience has made me love this sport and all those involved in it. You all rock! I'll definitely do another IM, can't wait. This time,however, I'll keep my eyes on the rode during the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [siobhan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! You're a legend! I saw you on the run and wondering what the story was! I broke my collarbone about 10 years ago and there's no way I could have done what you did. Hats off and great job!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw you too and wondered, how did she get so far in that condition?! You were running when I saw you. I'll remember your story next time something goes south in an ironman. These races can be character building sometimes, ha?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow what you did is amazing. Hope you heal up quickly! Thanks for posting this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's incredible.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [tramirez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my collarbone twice as a kid, bloody hurts. I name you king of HTFU!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic Finish!
Congratulations.

it turns out that our OP is only "mostly" dead........ ElGordo
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [smitycb10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be QUEEN of HTFU.

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weirdest thing? There's a guy on BT who also crashed on th bike, broke his collarbone, and finished. Although he didn't tell anyone for fear of being pulled from the course (as I heard it)

I've broken mine twice as well, and I know how much it hurts. You are a studette!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! That's epic, right up there with Chris Sadowski:

You're what the Ironman is all about. Way to go.

mm :)

PS: Chris' story can be found here: http://www.defeet.com/...2006_11_01_index.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is outstanding!!! Nicely done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on! I saw you and couldn't talk when I was running near you, but was wondering what happened. I stopped thinking about any pain I was having when I saw you. You Rock!! Awesome, and even though it was silent, you helped so many people out there as much as they helped you! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Siobhan,

Thanks for posting and congratulations on an inspiring finishing! It is always amazing to hear about the tenacity that people have to accomplish their goals! You rock!

In 2007 at Moo, one of my training partners, Meggan, was accidently pulled off her bike by a young volunteer, who held onto the water bottle too tightly. She suffered a fracture scapula, as with you she gutted out the remaining miles of the bike, agonizing up standing climbs, and eventually using her tri top as a make shift sling. You both have unbelievable will and mental capacity. I have since dubbed her the "toughest woman I know."

Once again congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Siobhan,

Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfBv0ZaeFM

BTW, GREAT effort!
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [kml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG i can't believe that video! How do you take someone out and then not even stop to see if they are ok? What a creep!

To the toughest gal I've seen in a long time: thank you for not giving up. I will think of you often in times of weakness, you are an inspiration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How awesome! I definitely saw you several times on the run - I finished in 13:29. Your spirits never seemed low and you seemed to have an awesome attitude, so way to go!!

Very sorry about your broken collarbone though! Heal up and enjoy the post-Ironman high!

Quote | Reply
Unreal. That dude should be DQ'ed for being a jerk alone. You just don't serve into someone take them out, then keep riding, LIKE NOTHING JUST HAPPENED! Who the fuck are these people???

From what I can see of the course, that is very early on the out and back, just about where Siobhan said she crashed.

Sue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw you on the second loop of the run. That was awesome. Great job gritting it out. Most would have folded that day. I have told about 20 people about the girl with the sling. Everyone remembers you. Congrats on a good finish in spite of it.

Remember, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya gotta have some situational awareness out there, in a word presence. To end somebody else's day (or in the case of Siobhan - make it very uncomfortable), is the perfect definition of unsportsmanlike conduct. In looking at the video again (and again) I wonder if he really saw the carnage. He turns his head to see what happened very quickly and then resumes his cadence. Did he see? I also wonder if any of the guys right behind him said anything. Regardless, and I'm still not sure this was Siobhan, not a fun way to end your race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are awesome!! Well done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw you on the run as well. HTFU is an understatement. SOLID work. I know many, able bodied athletes out there that day that would love to lay claim to a 13:15. You're awesome.

http://ianmikelsonracing.com/2013/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit. He turned, I have no doubt he saw what happened. And when someone goes down right on your wheel like that, you HEAR it. What a freaking tool
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I suppose I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Because if he DID see, and it turns out that Siobhan was indeed the innocent victim of his "toolness", she has more brass that this dude can dream of. I will be pissed if he stood on the podium later that same day (and she didn't).
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention that he CLEARLY body checks her as he is swerving his way down the road (I reviewed the video at least 5 times). HE HAD to feel the contact, hear her crash, and KNOW he had something to do with it.

If I had the time, I would out this tool like FinMan at IMFL. If he had stopped, and apologized, it would be a whole different story.

I can't believe this was caught on videotape. 10 bucks says the video guy has his number...
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA love of the sport! [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention that he CLEARLY body checks her as he is swerving his way down the road (I reviewed the video at least 5 times). HE HAD to feel the contact, hear her crash, and KNOW he had something to do with it.

Yeah but if he stopped, he might end up 1123 rd instead of 1116 th. Imagine how that would have changed his life.
Quote Reply

Prev Next