Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease
Quote | Reply
A number of recent posts have requested information about this as summer approaches and if we can get everybody tuned in, with an increase in understanding the physiological impact of heat, then we can improve performance and safety when racing. (Originally prepared by TrainingBible Coach David Warden)

How many of you have had heat reduce your performance? Age groupers tend to avoid or are infrequently able to train in the heat, a problem since it's difficult to avoid heat in 70.3 and full Ironman events. Once-weekly week-end bricks are insufficient and the cruel irony is that slow age-groupers are more likely to race in heat. Reduced speed and a later wave start can make for a very long day. Heavy athletes are particularly at risk, so since training should simulate racing conditions as much as possible, heat acclimatization should be considered a part of any training plan.

Non-heat acclimatized athletes perform poorly in the heat as there's competition for blood between skin and muscles. There's more blood flowing to the skin surface for cooling and less is delivering oxygen to the muscles which leads to reduced performance. They also tend to have a higher concentration of electrolytes in their sweat, the loss of which can lead to accelerated muscular fatigue and muscle cramping. Also, when exercising in the heat, the body must increase metabolism in order to cool down leading to increased usage of glycogen, increased blood lactate, potentially invalidating ones training zones-a higher heart rate for a given power output.

While you can neither avoid racing in the heat, nor it's consequences, you can increase your rate of sweating by introducing the body to heat before the race. Warden points out that by exercising an hour a day at the anticipated temperature for 5-10 days, accompanied by an equal reduction in intensity (e.g, zone 2 workouts only for first few workouts), that an improved tolerance to heat develops and can last up to 10 days. This could be accomplished while tapering, say from 17 days to 7 days before your race. But, heat acclimatized athletes should not assume lower fluid requirements.

Additional reading can be found in what the US Army recommends www.usariem.army.mil/download/heatacclimatizationguide.pdf and a lengthy but informative piece by sports scientsts at www.csmfoundation.org/GSSI_-_Preparing_Athletes_for_Competition_in_the_Heat.doc - .

This is an important topic that affects us all and an open forum discussion can benefit many.

Again thanks to David Warden for bring this to light.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who trains in intense heat throughout the summer, I look forward to reading this.

Las summer, as the heat increased, I lost about 20% of my running pace. Hopefully, that doesn't occur this year.

Jason

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wondered about this as I've always been very sensetive to the heat. I literally will lose about 1min per mile for every 10 deg above about 60 and when you are a slow runner to start, things get ugly fast. I also tend to come home covered in salt regardless of temp and have utilized what I once considered massive amounts of electrolytes to compensate.

I look forward to reading more on the topic, but it seems like if I want to race better in the heat I have to train harder in the heat (or at least more) which makes sense. Damn, no silver bullet.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was asked about calculation of sweat rate. It's pretty simple actually. Rather than merely saying that one person sweats more than another and thus requires a greater fluid intake, try the following:

Weigh your self before and after working out; same scale, same clothes, same place, etc.
Record how much you lose in ounces (1 lb. is 16 ounces)

Record your exact fluid intake during the work out period. FYI my 20 ounce water bottle holds 22.5 ounces and my 25 ounce bottle holds 29! Measure what you put in.

Add these two together and divide the sum by the number of hours worked out.

This will give you your sweat rate.

I'd recommend doing this, say three Saturdays in a row, and see what your numbers look like. It won't tell you exactly what to replace but puts you on the right track.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very interesting to me.
I live in Gilbert, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix. It is 105-115 from May to August. I have trained for Ironman AZ four years now, and since the shift to the November date have found it neccessary to train through the summer. I have found that the heat makes training very hard, but if you stick with it, go slow and are smart, the benefits far outweigh the suffering - in the long run (pun intended!) My run times suffer in the heat, but they rebound when it cools again. My cooling system, i.e. sweat and electrolyte efficiency is 110% when I race. It seems to me that when you train in that high of heat, any mistake in fueling and hydration is amplified quite a bit which forces you to figure out your body's exact fueling and hydration requirements within a VERY small margain of error. When I run at noon in July when it's 115 outside there is no room fo error. I would equate extreme heat training to training at altitude. It's a bit more dangerous, but done with slow aclimatization and common sense it will pay out large dividends come race time. That's just my personal, unscientific point of view.

Any Info on swimming in extreme heat been done? I haven't seen any. Just curious.

mohole 15 & Ti T'war -
there is hope. My running times have dropped by 2-3 minutes per mile in the summer over the last 3 summers. They come back when it cools down, though. Also, my system is definitely more efficient with fueling and hydration coming out of summer.

Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [DrArt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I'm not aware of any such studies regarding swimming in extreme heat, there may be some. That said, the water temp in Kona (reportedly a warm place) hovers around 79-80...and it feels pretty darn good. You've shown us that with particular attention to detail, that we can learn to work with the heat and ultimately do well inspite of it. Thanks for sharing.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Weigh your self before and after working out; same scale, same clothes, same place, etc.
Record how much you lose in ounces (1 lb. is 16 ounces)

That won't be entirely accurate because of water retention in the clothing. My clothes can retain up to a pound or more of sweat. (It's even worse when I'm wearing a canvas dobok). You'd have to weigh the clothes separately before and after to get a better sense of accuracy.

Or, just weigh yourself sans clothing before and after.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Or, just weigh yourself sans clothing before and after.

John
Like any triathlete here needs an excuse to be indecent!

Obviously, gradual acclimation is HUGELY helpful. I made the mistake of heading from Colorado to Kentucky (a comfortable 75* at 45% humidity to an oppressive 89* with 90% humidity) and heading out for a 10-miler off the plane. I was hoping to feel the benefits of altitude training, but not over the dry wretching.

Lots of people forget nutrition because they're so obsessed with hydration. There's no way that anything you can eat during a run can replace the electrolytes lost during 115* weather (holy carp!), but it can definitely buffer it. "Endurance" drinks like PowerBar and Gatorade have different concentrations of electrolytes than regular sports drinks. They might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll chime in.

I am the most heat adapted person that I know. I live next door to DrArt (Chandler)
and have run through the summers here for years. The hottest it's been that I can confirm
is north of 117 when I played Ultimate. The thermometer was in the shade and I wasn't.
I've run South Mountain when that same thermometer stopped recording. All of this
confirms that I'm heat tolerant, if not very bright. :)

I've written about this before.

The single most important thing to remember about this is:

THIS CAN KILL YOU. Don't try to prove how tough you are. Hydrate
and use good sense.

Moving on.

There are a few adaptations to heat:

1) You start to sweat earlier in exercise
2) You sweat more dilutely

Everyone is correct that you can't replace the electrolytes fast enough. But that doesn't
really matter. What matters is you replace the water as fast as you can and you
don't overheat. I will tell you that after running for an hour or so on water, that
Gatorade tastes really good.

To DrArt: The other thing to remember is that you don't have to run during
the heat. For November IMAZ '08 most of my long runs and rides were
in the morning. The runs were the worst, starting with a headlamp, and 45
minutes later switching to sunglasses, but I (and my coach) thought it was
better for my training.

Oh, and I did a documented my weight loss due to exercise in July of '08.
I did it by weighing myself before, with all my fluid. I came home, took
off my shirt and put another one of the same type back on (but dry).
4.5 lbs (~2.5%) in 1:13 and it felt pretty normal to me.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much faster you guys would have been if you had move the bulk of your running indoors onto the treadmill during the summer?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uggh.
I'd rather die of heatstroke than run on a treadmill - that human created hamster wheel. Seriously!
And, I work at 4 a.m., so early morning and late evening runs are out.
Guess my run times will be a bit slower for IMAZ (not like my marathon is that fast, anyway.)
It's just ... the treadmill just kills my spirit. Anything over an hour is pure torture.

My bike trainer, on the other hand, I love ... ;-)

* forgot the disclaimer, "It's a dry heat!"
Last edited by: DrArt: Apr 6, 09 8:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you recommend taking any supplements (e.g., electrolytes) before races and during? If so, how much and how often? Also, what techniques/remedies have you found for reduction of cramping during races in hotter climates.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [ClydesdaleWin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clyde-whew, concentration of questions! I used to have a social studies teacher like that. By cramps, I'm going to assume that you're referring to the common "stitch in your side" as opposed to leg cramps, etc.

No, I don't know a great deal about supplements and some Forum followers may have had success with some that they could add here. I follow the guidelines that you want to be "tanked up" with fluids and electrolytes at race start. Many will sip Gatorade or the drink that they've found works for them through practice-trial and error in workouts so there's no stomach upset-and then, in the final couple of minutes before their wave starts and they're doing a warmup swim, they empty the bladder completely (yes, even in a wetsuit) and subsequently rehydrate depending upon their own needs, race distance, sweat rate, etc.

Stretching these muscles prior to competition also gives them a chance to limber up gradually rather than simply the full court press when the gun goes off.

Personally I've found that deep breathing and stretching to the opposite side will frequently diminish the discomfort. And, lastly, it seems the better you are conditioned and heat acclimatized this is a less frequent problem .

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much faster you guys would have been if you had move the bulk of your running indoors onto the treadmill during the summer?

I would have been slower because I would have put in so many fewer miles. ;)

Seriously, over this summer when training for IMAZ my coach made me run and bike in the mornings when it was still cool.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [DrArt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who regularly swims with water temps in the high 80s (and sometimes more) I generally have no ill effects other than the annoyance that it's just going to always be slower than when you get pool temps around a nice crisp 76F.

As for running and biking, any suggestions for diet changes to help avoid those nice extreme heat + exercise migraines that generally hit 3-6 hours after a workout? No matter how much I hit the salt/electrolytes, it's still an issue for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in 29 Palms, so weather is very similar. I grind out a lot of training in the summer and find that I have to run in the morning. I get to where the 85 degree temp at 6 am feels cool to me and 70 degrees indoors makes me shiver. It makes a big difference when I go to race on the coast because 70 degrees feels cool and even if it hits 85 I don't mind so much. One year at the camp pendleton tri it hit 85 and a bunch of folks had heat issues.

Two other things to note for others not used to the heat:

1. Heat acclimation does not mean you can run just as fast in heat as you can when it's a nice cool 55 degrees. It does mean you will slow down a lot less than you would if you are not used to the heat.

2. If you don't live somewhere warm then you can easily simulate warmer weather by wearing extra layers of clothing and drinking more water. wearing a long sleeve shirt under your jersey will race your body temp, force you to sweat and therefore drink more and will protect you from UV rays as a bonus.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me when I've had headache issues afterwards it's always been that I haven't been able
to rehydrate enough and it catches up to me.

That or the hangover. ;)

YMMV.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if their was a placebo effect at work but MissP took the advice passed on to me from both Jordan Rapp and Simon Whitfeild to make sure part of the weekly routine involved indoor bike trainer rides in a hot environment. She had no choice as she was racing Im Lanzarote late May and before May it's rare to get any real hot weather were we live. So one month out from IM Lanza she started doing two high intensity indoor trainer rides per week in the bathroom with a heater in the room keeping the temperature at 30C or so. Seemed to work quite well, as she had a great race at IM Lanza and bagged a Pro spot for IMH. Then we did the same thing before IMH and it seemed helped their as well.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just curious as to the benefits (if any) of swimming in high heat. I swim outdoors through the summer in AZ and the pool water is very, very warm. (90+) When i am done with an hour-and-a-half swim I am totally wiped out. I'm sure sun exposure* has a lot to do with it, too, but that warm water really seems to sap your energy.

*(Even with a 50 sunscreen I get very dark.)

Anyhow, just wanted too see if anyone else had any info, scientific or not.
Thanks, all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting post, but it just sounds like common sense to me...there's nothing new or groundbreaking here.

I had some success at IM Malaysia in February this year...as most will know, this is one of the hottest events on the IM calendar...certainly hotter on average than any iron-distance race you'll experience in Nth America (excl. Kona). Coming from a mild summer in Auckland NZ, I paid careful attention to heat management and did the following in a very deliberate fashion to cope the expected conditions on race day:

1) Get there early. I arrived in Malaysia on Tuesday Feb 3rd...3.5 weeks prior to my Saturday Feb 28th race. I had a few days to train easy and acclimatize before my last big 120km bike/90min run TT (Fri), long 4k swim (Sat) and 180km easy ride (Sun). After that it was all taper, although I'd started my run taper a little earlier prior to arrival. Getting there early wasn't just about exercising & testing equipment/nutrition in the heat...it was about sleeping, recovering, drinking & eating outside of training for 3+ weeks in the same or similar conditions as I expected on race day. The aircon in my bedroom was broken for 2 of the 3 weeks I was in KL pre-race...it was like sleeping in a sauna.

2) Don't avoid the heat, nor the sun. There's nothing you can do to change your race's start time (this race was a late start too), nor the sunlight hours you'll experience, so why avoid it in training? My pool in Malaysia had indoor & outdoor 50m options. I chose outdoor every time (when I had a choice). It didn't open 'til 9am either. I started all my runs in late morning-mid afternoon heat. I didn't start a ride earlier than 8am (it was too dark anyway). It wasn't pleasant, and I sufferred, but I'm sure it made me stronger. See the quote in my sig-line... I wouldn't advocate this year round but you can't avoid it on race day, so don't avoid it in your (specific) race prep. In case you're wondering I took precautions and must've gone through a can of spray-on sunblock every 3-4 days.

3) Pay close attention to hydration. And that doesn't mean drinking 4L of fluids per day...in fact, quite the opposite. Don't drink too much! Its very tempting to do so. Outside of pre & post-workout eating & drinking, I was in a constant state of slight dehydration for the entire stay (or at least that's what my urine told me). That's not a bad thing...I'd argue being over-hydrated (I forget the correct term) is much worse for athletic performance. I felt light & fast for most of my stay (I dipped down into the 64kg range), even on the hottest days...light & fast isn't particularly healthy, but I came here to race.

The result was a breakthrough for me...a wire-to-wire AG win off a smart swim, a strong bike and an ability to grind it out on the run (no-one runs a PB in Malaysia...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;) ). I biked a bit hard but figured I could get away with it as I'd ticked every box in my prep and knew I was better prepared than my fellow competitors for these conditions...

See...get there early, train in the heat, be careful with your hydration...just common sense isn't it?

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Acclimatization:Read This To Minimize Performance Decrease [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pony-you provide a number of informative perspectives here. It would seem that if forum readers would search each of these posts, glean what seems to work best for them and apply it, then the medical tent would have less business and we'd see more PR's.

This is an important topic and I hope everyone gets a little something from it. Thanks.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply