Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
slowguy, can you explain this one?
Quote | Reply
Quote:
MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) -- Two U.S. Navy vessels -- a submarine and an amphibious ship -- collided early Friday in the Strait of Hormuz between Iran and the Arabian peninsula, the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet reported.

The military said in a statement that the collision occurred around 1:00 a.m. local time on Friday (5 p.m. EDT, Thursday).

The USS Hartford, a submarine, collided with an amphibious ship, the USS New Orleans.

According to the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, 15 soldiers aboard the Hartford were slightly injured but able to return to duty. No injuries were reported aboard the New Orleans.

The New Orleans suffered a ruptured fuel tank, resulting in an oil spill of approximately 25,000 gallons (95,000 liters) of diesel fuel. Damage to both vessels is still being evaluated.

Both ships are currently operating under their own power.

The Navy said both ships were on regularly scheduled deployments to the region and conducting security operations.

I know s*** happens, but how?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [Just Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both were playing the Lighthouse card?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope he wasn't driving!

Several careers will end as a result.......guaranteed. Bummer.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CO & OOD[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [HUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CO, XO and OOD, at least, go bye-bye. On that boat, probably the diving officer/COB go down, too. That's how it should be.

I've been out on those waters. It can be a damn tight fit as far as maneuvering space goes, in some spots. And anybody who's helmed a vessel knows how quickly things can go sideways on you if you're not paying strict attention.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume the sub is underwater, of course.

So do the guys on the surface even know it's there? Is there some sort of transponder thingie that lets navy vessels know when a sub is nearby? I would guess not (signal could be picked up by enemy, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [peter826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sub knows better than anybody, through the sonar suite, where everybody is. It was probably part of some sort of battle group -- judging by the fact there was a gator freighter in the flotilla -- and operating in close quarters and coordination with the other members of the group. A collision like this can happen pretty quickly, and I don't know if they were training in some sort of fashion with each other (or who was closing in on whom) or not, but both helms have a certain degree of responsibility for ensuring things like this don't happen.

Slowguy can speak to the actual conditions at the time, I'm sure.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I don't have anything other than what you can get in the news, just yet.

I'll offer the following thoughts.

1. This incident occured at 0100, when it's dark, and both crews have been up for an extended period of time.

2. The Strait of Hormuz is defined as an international strait, for the purposes of legal transit purposes. this means that the HARTFORD would have been within it's rights and very well could have been transitting submerged (maybe at periscope depth).

3. The NEW ORLEANS is a brand spanking new ship. I know the CO, and he's pretty solid.

4. The SOH is tight, from the perspective of executing any kind of wide maneuvering, but there is plenty of room for inbound and outbound vessels to pass safely, or for one vessel to overtake another safely, so long as traffic permits.

5. 25,000 gallons of fuel is a HUGE amount to spill for a Navy ship.

6. Probably both CO's get relieved. There's a lot of pressure on the surface fleet in particular right now, and not much tolerance for error. If I had to guess, and not knowing anything about the situation other than what's in the initial report, I'd guess that one or both XOs also get fired, along with the Officers of the Deck (OOD).

If I hear any more that's interesting but not classified, I'll pass it along.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, not much new info, but what I've seen suggests that HARTFORD was probably at fault, more than NEW ORLEANS. Here's a photo of the damage to HARTFORD.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another one that shows how far over the sail was pushed by the collision.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch. That can't be cheap to fix (the sail getting bent over to the side). Is that a 688 boat?

Spot

Quote | Reply
LOS ANGELES Class
SSN-768

If you look closely, you can see NEW ORLEANS pierside further into the picture. Reports are that both made it safely pierside. That's gonna make for some awkward liberty in Bahrain. On a side note, it appears that the fuel spilled during the incident has disappated. There is no longer any sheen visible on the surface of the water.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the Hartford SSN 768 no stranger to a wee little mishaps. Back in 2003 she ran around and did some damage to the rudders,CO and a two others relieved.
Guess who is coming to Norfolk for work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Queeg was driving.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Queeg was driving.

Nah, must have been some other metal. Queeg caught a 40 watt phase rifle round to the head recently.
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Queeg caught a 40 watt phase rifle round to the head recently.

Poor guy, he's been through a lot! Mutiney then a phase rifle. He really needs to go back to Arizona and retire.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few questions on your first picture - Is that rust? Does stuff really rust that quickly in the ocean, or is it rubbed off the other ship, kind of like swapping paint? And what is the significance of the blue and white tarp/flag? I assume it's covering something up, but do all subs have a tarp that large on board at all times?

d

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [compact_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A few questions on your first picture - Is that rust? Does stuff really rust that quickly in the ocean, or is it rubbed off the other ship, kind of like swapping paint?"

Yes it looks like rust to me. Yes, metal exposed to salt water rusts fast as Hell. As for the tarp, I have no idea if HARTFORD had that aboard or if it was given to them by someone to help cover the damage/minimize internal exposure to the elements.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They really bumped uglies, that's for sure. And yes, it looks like Hartford's more at fault in this one than New Orleans. Man...to run that sail into the hull of the 'Orleans. You suppose she was trying a sneak-and-peek and got in too close? If that gator freighter made a sudden course correction, and the sub was still inching in, closure rate would have nailed her before she could submerge or even turn hard away. Unbelievable.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: slowguy, can you explain this one? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is really simple 500+ jarheads on gator freighter needing some liberty ;-).It was a block out tack. First to tie up gets the beer. LPD (1) SSN ( 0) bubble heads lose ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That "tarp" looks more like an inflatable raft drafted into coverage duty. You know anything a sub/surface ship that might look like that?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The closest thing I can think of is that it looks like the tents we sometimes use to set up shade for force protection watchstanders. It doesn't look like a standard Navy liferaft.

Slowguy

Last edited by: slowguy: Mar 22, 09 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other detail I heard from a sub bubba. Apparently HARTFORD took in a roll in excess of 80degress during the collision. That's uncomfortable.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow...I'm surprised that there weren't more serious injuries on the sub.

Slightly different subject...did they ever fix that sub that ran into that underwater mountain in the Pacific? I couldn't believe the amount of damage done to the nose of that sucker.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Quick questions about the guys standing on top of the sail. Do they wear a harness in case they fall? Life jackets? Is there an outside ladder to get to the top? Does the crew ever get to go top side during regular service? How many crew members are there typically in submarine like the Hartford? Does the periscope rise much above the top of the silver tower, or is that how far up it is? Finally, can they steer the sub from up above or is it only from down below?

Last edited by: YaHey: Mar 22, 09 16:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next