Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy Bar End Installation
Quote | Reply
Help from the expert wrenches requested. Campy 10 Sp bar end installation instructions needed to get shift perfect. I understand that I need to have a small triangle on the mechanism lined up but not sure of the particulars. Unfortunately the official Campagnolo site does not have a pdf of the instructions. Right now it jumps two then drops one when shifting up the cassette. It works but not the way I would like it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run these, installed them myself, but honestly I have no idea what you are talking about with the "triangle" being lined up. If I recall, When installed these I pushed the right lever down all the way, hooked the cable to the rear derailleur, adjusted the travel on the rear derailleur, then adjusted the cable tension until is shifted properly. The only time it skipped gears was when I had the spacers in the wrong order on the cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

The triangle is stamped on the shifter cog that is visible when you disassemble the unit. I previously read a description about lining the triange imprint up for proper installation, but cant seem to find that thread.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this online Campagnolo bar end shifters[/url]

Q: My bike is set up with Campy bar end shifters, and it shifts terribly! In the middle of the cassette, it jumps 2 sprockets with only one click! I tried adjusting it out, with no luck.

A: We have recently found out that the shifter mounting boss (which has flat tangs on it, and is inserted into the handlebar extension) has to be orientated in a horizontal direction. There is nothing to prevent it from being installed in a vertical direction, and in this position the shifter index spaces do not match the cassette spacing. Also, the index ring inside the shifter has to be orientated properly. We didn't know about these items previously because Campy didn't provide detailed instructions. Following is a diagram showing how the shifter is supposed to be installed. Believe me, it makes it huge difference! If you have any questions, give us a call.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

You rock!

What site had that? The diagram is perfect.

Forever indebted.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was having the same problem and this helped me realize I needed flip the gear as indicated above in the used shifters I bought. However, now that I've gotten it apart, I can't get it back together.

Anybody have any clues or links to directions. I can't find anything at the Campy site.

Thanks,
Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be persistent. I've had mine apart 2x, and both time just took time, patience, and serious dedication to get it right. Let me guess.. you can't get the little brass wheel thing back in, because the springs are preventing it from being pushed back in? That's the bitch. That piece *will* wiggle back in there, you just have to keep trying! You might try using a screwdriver for leverage.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks. I did that and managed to get it back in using a little more elbow grease.

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems with the shifting. A couple things seem odd. For one, the shifter has 11 positions with 10 clicks between each position. (Perhaps Campy will soon have an 11 speed out and then I'll be all set.) These shifter's were doing this before I switched the gear. The second thing is that the shifter still wants to either jump two gears with one shift or not shift at all depending on where it is in the cog set. If I get the lower end of the gears shifting fine, the upper gears will sometimes jump two cogs with one sift. So I'm convinced I don't have the cog in the right position. Currently I have it so the little triangle is pointing towards the spring closest to the lever, or to the left-most spring if you are looking at it with the lever horizontal to the left.

Perhaps the springs are not positioned properly. Does the back side (the plastic side) come off. I've been a little afraid to leverage it off.

Thanks,
Victor

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a part in there somewhere that can be oriented at 90 degree increments and is asymetrical. Rotate it either 90 degrees or 180 degrees and you should be all set. I had the same problem with mine when we first tried to set them up. I think the part may be SL-RE020. It's been six years since I set up my tri bike so sorry I can't remember more. There is only one of the parts you can rotate. Tech specs out the wazoo are available on the campy site:

http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That last click is NOT where you want to set your shifter to. That is the spring going past the indexing notches. You want to tune the Der in your smallest cog with that first click on the shift lever.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I got it. Thanks.

I did have to rotate the lever 90 degrees so that it was oriented as in the image posted by JohnA. The key is to make sure you notice the exact position of the lever when you remove it from the body and replace it in exactly the same position when you re-install it. Otherwise you need to remove the brass gear and re-align everything.

The campy people sent me this PDF (which I posted here: http://www.competitiverunner.com/images/7225241-Bar-end2.pdf), which is helpful for understanding the order of the parts, but not with the angle of alignment of the various parts. The Campy person who provided this PDF also stated that they "don't have service instructions, [because] they have to be serviced by a qualified mechanic". Argh!

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Victor

blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a million. I have been looking for this for years. I always feared recabling my bike because of this and with Nokon I am always dicking with things. I knew it has to be something with th cog since it was too system matic. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [anklebiter123!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi I realise this is a very old thread so sorry for reviving it, but after an extensive internet search it is the only information which seems to apply to my shifting problem. I appear to have the same double shifting issue as others on the thread. I have the triangle correctly alligned but think I must still be getting something wrong with the shifter installation. In particular does anyone have the image origonally posted by John A on this thread. FYI campy 10 speed chorus derailleur and cassette, 10 speed bar end shifters. Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [dustyhills] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Bar End Installation [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply