Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running with dog
Quote | Reply
I just adopted Bella (German Short-Haired Pointer) and was wondering do you build a dog up on mileage like we do? 10% a week or just let them run. She wants to keep going. She is two years old. Longest I have let her go is 5 miles. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: running with dog [regis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to work at a dog daycare facility and pointers were definitely the most energetic. However, they never seemed know when to take a break, they kept, playing and running and running and running....

I would be carefully not to run your dog to exhaustion, even though they seem like they still want to keep going. I took my lab/whippet on a 8 mile run that turned into me carrying her for the last 2 miles (I got lots of looks for having a dog on my shoulders)! One thing to keep an eye on is her paws, especially if you run on pavement/sidewalks, this will wear her pads down pretty quickly. I actually bought some stuff to put on her paws (I think it is called Workin' Dogs) that is like a salve/chapstick that is non-toxic, as she will lick her feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I have two German Shorthaired Pointers so I'd like to welcome to you to the crazy pointer world. They are incredibly loving dogs and very very smart. We've figured out that our two girls (one is 11, one is 2.5), need about 2 hours a day of activity to keep them out of trouble.

GSP's are first and foremost hunting dogs and will display hunting instincts and may disrupte your run from time to time as they stop to point out a great squirrel or rabbit to you. It may take a little training to get her to run really well with you but with a little training they are excellent running dogs. In fact, GSP's are often used in competative running sports like ski joring where GSP's are the dog of choice for the 5 & 10K distances due to their speed and agility. However, they really are middle distance dogs and we've found that after 5-7 miles they're energy and attention starts to drop. Part of it may be due to the fact that when GSP's go out for a run they go out and give it their all from mile one - not so good on the pacing front.

Our vet told us when we first got the dogs that we did need to build up their mileage similar to that of a human more to prevent wear and tear on the hips that could come back as displasia down the road and to not really plan on taking them over the 7 mile mark. For our long runs this means that we do one 5-6mile loop with the dogs, drop them back at home, and then continue the run on our own. The vet mentioned that "running" with us is different then when dogs run on their own off leash and it has a different impact on their joints. Not sure if you could go longer if you're in an area where she can run off leash since then your dog would be running/bounding/sniffing at her own pace?

And not that you asked, but the vet also recommended that GSP's get plenty of offleash time so that they can go out and "hunt." So in that 2hrs of activity every day, our girls usually get an hour run (5x week - even the 11yr old is in great shape and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down!) and then an hour of either offleash time at the dogpark or doggie daycare (for days my husband and I are gone for a long time), a leashed - albeit on a very long leash - walk/hike in our nearby forest, lots of little walks, or we're just about to start agility with them once a week. I mention this because I'm on the board of an animal shelter here and have learned that one of the major reasons GSP's are given up to shelters is that people get them because the dogs are pretty but people really have no idea how much activity and mental stimulation they require. A happily exercised GSP who spends quality time with their human family members will likely not eat your couch. Whereas one who spends 8-10hrs a day by themselves and gets maybe a 30minute walk each day will drive you absolutely batty. You, being active, are the perfect person to adopt a GSP so thank you. They really are a wonderful breed. Crazy...yes...slightly neurotic from time to time...yes...but honestly the perfect canine companion for an active family.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: running with dog [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1.

It is simply against protocal on this forum to discuss your dog, especially a recent addition, without providing pictures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Since you did not post pics< i will use this thread to display a few more of my hundreds of Makaze pictures.
Above is at Great Sand Dunes National Park in CO after chasing a ball down 200 foot dunes (and back up).

Below is an early morning summit of a 14er in Co. Can't remember which, but it is the one that the Hard Rock Hundred traverses.

Below is post dune pic of her chillin in the shower at the campground. Happy happy dog.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a sporting english springer spaniel (it has shorter hair and is much more stout and athletic than a show springer). He, at 2 years old, could do 7 miles with me and then run around the back yard for hours like it was nothing. That being said, the big restricter for him is weather. If it is hot and humid, I keep the run to about 3 miles. The key for me is his behavior. He loves nothing more than going for a run with me. When we run, he ignores other dogs, squirrels, etc. Loose dogs have tired to play with him on runs (something he would normally love), but when we are running, its all about going for the run to him. When he is doing well, he is focused on the run and me. When he is getting tired, thirsty, and needs to stop, he starts to look around at the ground and at spots where puddles form when it rains. I have cut many runs short or started to walk because I was concerned for his health as opposed to me getting in a great run. I would rather have a healthy dog and bad run than a hurt dog and a great run.

My dog is my favorite running partner, and I have tried hard to learn his cues for when he is tired, thirsty, etc. Try adding mileage piece by piece just like you would for your training. Dogs build muscle and endurance in much the same manner as we do. Keep an eye on your dog and try to learn his cues. Weather hits your dog harder than it hits us. His/her body language will tell you then he/she needs to stop and you will learn to pick up on it.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on adopting a new dog! I think dogs can build up mileage a little faster than humans, but be careful with it. I have 2 dogs--one is an English Pointer named Frito(similar to German short hair) and the other is a lab whippet mix named Cooper. Frito wants to run all the time. He cries if I leave the house without him on a run. Frito was 1-1.5 years when I adopted him and wanted to run forever. I found doing loops and stopping by the house and dropping off/exchanging dogs to be the best for them and me. Cooper can't normally run too far or fast so he gets to do warmups, cooldowns and easy runs. Frito gets to do most runs unless they are really long then he only does part or I am concerned about my speed and don't want to worry if he wants to stop to look at a bunny or bird. On a normal run, I don't care so much, we are out there for fun. 3 years with Frito, 4.5 with Cooper and no running problems for them. They just hate when I run without them.
Quote Reply
Re: running with dog [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a wonderful rescued greyhound (lost him 2 1/2 years ago to cancer) who was the best running partner for me but not my husband. We built him up slowly, 5 km up to a maximum of 21 km (almost a half marathon). I am a slower runner so he was great with me as long as he was on a leash.

You can buy great running leashes that attach around your waist so you are hands free. But, he could only with my husband for about 5km then he would drag along behind him and it was really no fun for either of them. I truly miss my running partner!

Since greyhound are designed to be sprinters it was amazing to me that he would quite happily run the longer distances. And I agree that you have to be really careful with their pads, especially on pavement. We did most of our runs on trails so usually not a problem. And, as a greyhound he had minimal fat therefore very little ability to regulate his temperature and we were always very careful about running in the heat. In the winter he would wear a very light coat.

Congratulations on the new edition to the family and new running partner.
Quote Reply
Re: running with dog [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The yawning picture is awesome.

When am I able to get a dog I will look for a dumb mutt. I want to go to the shelters and find some friendly ugly puppy that when it barks it looks around too see who barked. Hell yeah!

Quote Reply
Re: running with dog [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha believe it or not that is not a yawn. She had just run up and down a huge sand dune after her ball a couple of times, I thought she was going to die she was panting so hard.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: running with dog [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn that baby must have been burning up! Dogs love that though.

I heard a trainer talking about one of the ways he trains problem small dogs is he takes them outside and lets them run till they almost pass out. People carry these tiny lovers around and never let them be dogs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My little dog Jenna loves to run. She is 5 years old and about 15 lbs. We have NO idea of the breed. We even did that stupid doggie DNA test kit thing, and they had no idea either. But, Jenna can run and run. Granted I am slow (10 min mile pace on my long runs). She trains with me for marathons (up to 20 miles); typically we add 2 miles/week. On the really long runs I make sure she gets food and water (just like me). She'll fuel up with some PB, jerky, etc.

My husband runs much faster than I do (7:30 pace) and she can go with him on short runs, but gets tuckered out on long ones (over 9 miles).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built our dog up slowly and do most of his miles on trails. His longest run so far was 35 miles with 12,000 of uphill. Most trail runs are long and hilly enough that I average a 10 min/mile or slower. At that pace he can go forever. I don't take him on long runs if there are creeks or something to drink from. On road at a quicker pace as soon as he goes from a trot to run he wears out quickly. Plus he's spoiled running off leash on trails. He also loves plain GU.
Quote Reply