Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting better on the bike
Quote | Reply
Looking for some tips to get better on the bike. I'll be racing sprints, and oly and a flat 70.3 this year. I'm riding on an indoor trainer 3 times a week (going to 4 next month) at 1-2 hrs a session. I'm using a combo of a spinervals DVD, indoor cycling workouts in a binder, and a IM training plan that's modified. I'm riding a Cevelo Dual, was fitted at a LBS (he wasn't certified, but was in line with what a friends FIST certified fitting was) and will be picking up a disc cover for the race season. I've been mostly MOP, but my times on the trainer suck. I'm 5'9 and 145-150 lbs.

I'm getting a bonus from work and wondeirng if it's worth it to pick up a power meter (I'm a tech geek), or just put the money towards something else and hammer it out more on the bike. I'm keeping track of the workouts, so I'm able to see some progress, but comparing last season's race times, I see it possible to drop 5-10 minutes off my bike on all the courses.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Re: Getting better on the bike [stratman05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
my times on the trainer suck.

What do you mean by that? Speed on a trainer means pretty close to nothing so don't compare it to outside rides.
The way to get better is train and train smart, it sounds like that's what you're doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your position? You aren't a big guy so you will want to be sure you are aero.

Other than that just HTFU and keep hammering. You are on it 3 times a week, can you get on it 5 times a week? Maybe add two more short but intense sessions? like 15 minutes all out?

I get great results from short, all out sessions on the bike since I'm already running enough to build up the cardio.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Getting better on the bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll snap some pics this weekend for position. I'm going to play around with the aerobars to bring them in more for shorter races.

I plan on going to 5 times a week next month. I'm able to get in rides over lunch, so I'll do some power sessions (spinervals) on those. Thanks for the tips!

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely get a PM, money well spent. Although make sure you learn how to use it since it's only as useful as you make it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll apologize in advance for being a bit of a wet blanket here.

Some people seem to have an aptitude for cycling (Lance Armstrong) and, that aptitude, combined with a lot of hard work, results in great cycling fitness. Obviously a fellow like Armstrong is an extreme example of exceptional fitness through good genetics and lots and lots and lots of very hard work.

Bottom line: Genetically gifted or not, it takes time on the bike to get better.

Now, that's the bad news. The good news is cycling is relatively impact free compared to running and doesn't depend on a pool schedule like swimming. All you need is a bike, shorts, a helmet and a road or a trainer. Combine that with a good work ethic and adequate motivation and time and you'll have a winning combination given enough time and effort.

There is no "golden BB", no quick solution. While I make good money selling them, power meters (I'll take exception to another poster here, with repect...) aren't the answer. No one "thing" is the answer. A power meter is of no utility unless you interpret and employ the data correctly to benefit your training- but the bottom line is, it's your training.

If you put in more time and use the time efficiently while becoming a student of the sport (Cycling Hall of Fame member, the late Coach Mike Walden of the Wolverine Sports Club) then you will appreciate significant gains over time. There are no short cuts. It is simply time on the bike.

There is a fellow in our store right now on one of the computrainers who has finished nine (9!) Tours de France and rode in two Olympic Games. He didn't start as a particularly gifted cyclist, but he became one thorugh hard work that continues as I type this- and he isn't even racing anymore. For him, pedalling the bike is part of his routine. You sleep, you wake, you ride, you eat, you work, you sleep, you repeat. Pedalling the bike is part of what he does. Pedalling a lot made him good. Now yeah, this particular fellow was briefly involved in some nefarious activities, but the bottom line is the overall fitness and strength he has built on the bike was built simply by time on the bike/

There is no substitute for time on the bike. Nothing can replace or usurp it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Getting better on the bike [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom indeed has some good points.
nothing can replace the time spent riding.

the tools you use to help you along are up to you, and what you feel is worth it/will give you the best feedback.

i personlly, through rowing, and now cycling have trained with power, bike computers, stopwatches, and HR, no to the extent in some of them that many have, but enough to know what works for me and i can relate to. for me the power meter (both with rowing and now cycling), is my favorite method of tracking progress and setting up workouts.

my next preff would be nothing and just going off feel.

if you take the time to use it, a PM will take a lot of the guess workout out of it, but after that its all about setting up and putting into practice the workouts you need.

you look like you are headed in the right direction

Quote Reply
Re: Getting better on the bike [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a fellow in our store right now on one of the computrainers who has finished nine (9!) Tours de France and rode in two Olympic Games. He didn't start as a particularly gifted cyclist, but he became one thorugh hard work that continues as I type this- and he isn't even racing anymore. For him, pedalling the bike is part of his routine. You sleep, you wake, you ride, you eat, you work, you sleep, you repeat. Pedalling the bike is part of what he does. Pedalling a lot made him good. Now yeah, this particular fellow was briefly involved in some nefarious activities, but the bottom line is the overall fitness and strength he has built on the bike was built simply by time on the bike/
What's Frankie up to these days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted this on a separate thread but figured you might find it interesting:

http://www.trifuel.com/...r/powercranks-review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would say,,,,,ride more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to become stronger on the bike, buy, and use a fixed gear (NOT single speed) bike. That will make you much stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do a search on the forum and ignore 3/4 of the posted suggestions on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting better on the bike [admill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's been doing commentary for a number of media outlets, some writing and other stuff including raising his kids. We're all looking forward to getting out on the road when the weather improves.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply