Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile?
Quote | Reply
OK guys, it seems there is demand for a continuation of the ST virtual track meet. We know everyone on ST has an FTP like Lance (and if I recall Oct 28th was declared as the day when everyone had a 400W FTP)....now we are back to reality though.

Gebreselassie basically ran 4:43 miles for 26 of them setting the marathon record in Berlin. That's ~70 second laps, or 10 seconds per lap slower than Bannister did for 4 laps. Geb did it for 105.5 laps.

A bunch of dudes on ST went sub 70 seconds for 400m, but they actually had to work for it...even IM Florida winner Tom Evans only posted a 70 second lap (although it was during a set of 400's)....I declared defeat with a lame 76 second performance today (Nov 8th).

So it seems that some of you guys want a "one mile smackdown".

So here's the rules...
  • Find a track, run a mile as fast as you can with 400m splits, and post your time and story.
  • Repeat as many times as you want between now and Nov 8th 2009 (1 year) and see how much you can improve.
  • You can use racing flats, spikes or whatever.
  • Honour system applies and NO VIRTUAL results or Uli will call bullshit on you and send you away with your tail between your legs...you either did it or you did not!!!
  • If you can't find a track then map out a stretch of FLAT road and take your quarter mile splits (you'll have to go map it out with your bike odometer/GPS). In fact it might be good to establish your own 1 mile loop for winter training benchmarks :-)

Here are the tiers of studliness (or not)....have at it!!!
  • Platinum Club: I Can you keep up with Geb and go sub 4:40 (70 second laps)
  • Gold Club: I'm 25% slower than Roger Bannister 5:00 (75 second laps)...but Triyoda is going down!
  • Silver Club: OK, I tried, but I am 33% slower than Bannister 5:20 (80 second laps)
  • Bronze Club: Shit, Craig Alexander can kick my ass when he gets off the bike in Kona and bolts outta T2 5:40 (85 second laps)
  • I can kick Dev's Ass Club: Run 6:00 (90 second pace) and beat my recent 10K pace (37.43) by a few seconds....

EDIT: 2 More Clubs added by request of Dr. Tommy, with some modification
  • ST God: Sub 4:20 (65 second laps)
  • Bannister Club: Sub 4:00 (60 second laps)

For ST God or Bannister Club, there better be some independent witnesses or a track meet with published results.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 8, 08 18:42
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...who can break 5, 5:30, 6:00 mile? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll hit the track by my hotel tomorrow and hopefully I can get into bronze club. I will report back. My goal for the next year would be to get down to 5:20 (silver club).
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, this one is too easy. I ran 5:32 in May. I could have run sub-5:30 easy if the track had not been cinder + wet with large puddles that I was dodging. I am a reasonable runner, but no more. I plan to get back to the 5:20-5:30 range by April next year, probably not before. Yesterday I watched a video of German Fernandez run 4:16 on grass after 3 or 4 4:30-ish times, and barely be affected it. It made my ready-to-gag state after the 5:32 seem nothing but pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

ran 2 miles the other day in 11:04... on a non-flat road course. I'll report back in a year! I hope to get that time down to 10:45 this winter.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if you plan on 10:45, make sure that one of the miles is 5:20 (first or last does not matter) :-). Dawhead, good to hear that you are on board. Are you in Berlin, Germany now?
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, yes, here in Berlin till February. Working on slowly re-lifting my 2x20 wattage and probably starting back on the track in another few weeks. I had a real easy time from July till mid-October, so I figure I'm done with the off-season already. Signed up for AmZof and Triple T already (I want to watch eganski either blow up or crush the TTT), and figuring just how much I want to well at duathlon next year. Wifey was 3rd @ short course nats last year, and I think I'd like to race (at least) alongside her in 2009.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best strategy for running a 10:45 is to run your first mile in 4:30 and then just cruise in for the second half. It seems to work well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now we're talking.

I ran my first track race at the ripe old age of 33 this year. I started out with Ironman at 21 and am now working my way down. A cold turkey 1500m in 4:30. I had a team mate in Dublin who has a 4:00 mile PR (yes, no sub4, he sucks). Glad he wasn't watching my race.

A 4:39 mile is one of my 09 goals anyway.
Way cool.
Dev, you da man.
This is going to hurt. Yuck.

Quote | Reply
Dev, I'm in, but my first attempt will be at the end of ski season when the lungs are large. You need two more catagories.
Platinum Elite...sub 4:30
Slowtwitch God...sub 4:15

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ran a 5:20 on thursday, albeit was after 10 400's and 1 800. i could probably break 5 right now, as i'm peaking for cross country.
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [Mighty Mouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i could probably break 5 right now, as i'm peaking for cross country.
DISAPPROVED!

Quote | Reply
This is interesting.

I'm not in particularly good shape right now. I recently (last week) posted a 6:31 mile as part of a 2-mile PFT for the Army. A year ago, I hit the 1 mile mark at 5:54 in a 5k. I feel like with a solid winter of work, 5:30 is attainable, so we'll see. This will be my 2nd week of running 30+ miles since I broke an ankle and started school last April.

This week should come in at about 34-35 miles, so in another 2 weeks or so speed work will become appropriate again. One guy in my class has a 4 tattooed on his lower leg- I should try and chase him.

FWIW, there's a really fast marked mile race in Rockford, IL. It's downhill the whole way. A friend of mine who's a local track coach says it's a good time.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hilly road course the afternoon after I did a bike race in the morning. No warm up, just went as well as I could - 5:21 (Rick Carter obviously):

http://www.striders.net/...ults/falser08_01.htm

Quote | Reply
I ran 4:47 this morning, that marathon time is CRAZY.

SUBU~Show Up Blow Up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday's speed work session included: 1 mile at 5:56, 2 half miles at 5:45 pace, and 4 quarters b/w 85 & 75 seconds.

I think I can go sub 5:40 so I'll test this out and report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in at least going for the kick devs ass club. From my run the other day:
Lap #2 (Run): 5:52

Going to get to the track and report back...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man... gonna have to think long and hard about this one. Don't think my ego can take seeing how much I've slowed down since my PR (3:51) of 11 years ago or my last sub 4 from 5 years back. Maybe I'll just 'Bubka' whatever it takes to get in the fast group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this idea! I did 5:43 two times this summer, with the 2nd attempt finishing with a slow jog the last 15 meters. I was toasted-went out too hard. I was shocked to see that I still got the same time.

I have done 70 second 400 meters. And I am planning on doing many intervals this winter. I want to hit that 5:20-I would actually like to break 5:14 (my time in 7th grade track-I played a lot of soccer). Now I am 32, and would love to beat that time!

Thanks for the motivation.
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really now? you doubt a 16 year old peaking for cross country can break 5 for a mile?
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [Mighty Mouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe people still don't get how this works.

The whole point of these dev challenges to shut up and put up.

It does not matter if Dave Scott himself shows up here and says he can do sub 5

UNTIL HE DOES IT

=)

In Reply To:
really now? you doubt a 16 year old peaking for cross country can break 5 for a mile?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok. i have the metro meet on tuesday then state. i'll check back here in two weeks and report on how far under 5 i went.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The ST One Mile "Virtual Smackdown"...can you break 5/5:20/5:40/6:00 mile? [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, since the clubs are tiered in 20 second increments, I added Elite Platinum at 4:20 and ST God/Bannister Club at sub 4!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Actually, it would be quite embarrassing if you could not.
Dude, simply go out and run the sub5.

Until then you are just another ST-poser.

Last edited by: uli: Nov 8, 08 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys...read the rules...no talking about how fast you THINK you can go. It is OK to put down a goal saying, " I am going to try for sub 5:20" in which you are clearly "manning up" and putting in doubt your ability to do that time till you actually do it. But you can't say, "I can do 4:59" <insert ST poser inflated time here>. You can only say you can do a time when you have done it...that's it, that's all...

When I go home I am going to set a route on the roads in my neighbourhood with quarter mile markers so that I can do this all winter even in the snow (cause all the tracks will be covered up with snow). I'll try to do it every week on non XC ski race weeks to see how slow I get with all the winter clothing and dough and hopefully I don't fall off the bottom tier in the club system in which case I won't even be able to beat myself!!!

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next