Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Torbjørn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona
Quote | Reply
Any idea where i can get one of these? I thought he was a Craft-sponsered athlete, but didn't see anything like this in their regular line.

Last edited by: davetallo: Jan 12, 09 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably made by ECCO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Underarmour makes one- its called "heat ware" or soemthing. I wore it this summer in all my hot races and LOVED it.

--------------------------
Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craft Pro Cool L/S v-neck. The v is very slight.

http://www.craft.se/...nguage=en&maiu=1
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [nfreeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All

Full disclosure - I'm the GM for Craft of Sweden

After my quick heart attack for that being thought of as an Under Armour top, let me set the record straight that Thunder Bear wore our inline Craft ProCool Longsleeve Tee!

You can get it in most high-end Tri / Run shops and I know Trisports.com stock quite a few. It's the same material we make our mesh baselayer from, like the ones worn by CSC at the Tour.

ProCool is a hexa-channel fiber that is SPF 50 and anti-microbial. It wick exponentially better than traditional coolmax. Perfect for super hot and humid days or indoors.

Test one for yourself, you will be glad you did!

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [Craftman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the reply and advice - it didn't occur to me that it could have been procool.

LOVE Craft stuff, so this purchase will be a no-brainer.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to try this out. Tired of putting on sunscreen.

Does the top need to be wet to work as a cooling agent? My understanding is that sweat stays on the skin to provide a cooling effect. If this top wicks sweat away then the top becomes the cooling "layer" but only if it stays wet. So this would work better in humid places then dry. Is that correct?

Your company has really great products.

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Dave: You had the white arm coolers at GFT, right? I think you and a bearded guy with an aero helmet and a disc wheel were dueling with each other on the bike for a long time, if I remember. I hung back some distance, watching the show. You looked pretty strong. If those coolers helped, good for you.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, Dave: You had the white arm coolers at GFT, right? I think you and a bearded guy with an aero helmet and a disc wheel were dueling with each other on the bike for a long time, if I remember. I hung back some distance, watching the show. You looked pretty strong. If those coolers helped, good for you.

T.

The coolers were great. First time I've used something like that and I was very impressed ... hence this thread. I had a bad day in the heat at Redman in September, so it was good to find a solution in the absence of the right heat genes.

I was indeed the guy with the beard, aero helmet, and disk. Happy with the ride, and i ended up with a tss of 299.1 on a goal of 300, so i think i got the execution right this time around. I think the most prolonged cat and mouse of my day was with a guy on a Caliente, a blackwell disk and Ergomo: starting at Sugarloaf, he would drop me on the climbs and i would then inch back on the flats. We were both working pretty hard not to draft on each other, but our strengths were pretty clearly in different areas, so we were okay for our duel. The backstory on that - and the best part - was a dude on a round tubed road bike with box rims, 20-year-old scott clip on bars and a superman riding position that was keeping both of us aero-toy-hungry dudes honest for a really long stretch. Like we needed the reminder, but the lesson: engine beats the toys any day.

Still, I'll continue to look for all the toys I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [nfreeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've worn the UA "heat gear" shirt for my last two races. Wear it under
my wetsuit, on the bike and on the run.

Plan on the same thing for IMAZ.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [namaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweating provides a cooling effect, but its the act of evaporating that does this (as the water evaporates, it draws the heat out of the skin).

water on the skin will provide a cooling effect as well. part of this is the 'heat sharing' that takes place (i just made up that phrase, so you might not find it anywhere else). basically the cooler water and the warmer skin try to equilibrate temp.

the bigger benefit though is water evaporating (either from sweat, or dumping it over yourself).

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Craftman;

I'm glad you're hanging here on ST. I think your products are fantastic, I've been a Craft poster-boy for a while, especially in the Nordic Ski Season.

Thanks

DB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was indeed the guy with the beard, aero helmet, and disk. Happy with the ride, and i ended up with a tss of 299.1 on a goal of 300, so i think i got the execution right this time around. I think the most prolonged cat and mouse of my day was with a guy on a Caliente, a blackwell disk and Ergomo: starting at Sugarloaf, he would drop me on the climbs and i would then inch back on the flats. We were both working pretty hard not to draft on each other, but our strengths were pretty clearly in different areas, so we were okay for our duel. The backstory on that - and the best part - was a dude on a round tubed road bike with box rims, 20-year-old scott clip on bars and a superman riding position that was keeping both of us aero-toy-hungry dudes honest for a really long stretch. Like we needed the reminder, but the lesson: engine beats the toys any day.

I hung back of you for quite a while, after we came down off the three backside hills on Buckhill, and made that lefthand turn and started that short climb. I had a Caliente, too, but with a HED disc and a regular aero helmet (black shorts, white top). I finally shook that guy off once you'd beat him about the head and shoulders for a few miles ;-)

I remember that guy on the road bike and the Scott bars. He thought he was going to drop you a few times, I remember that, and then you'd pick up your cadence (or go into a lower gear) and motor past him. I was content to just take a sip out of gel container, eat a little bit of a Powerbar, and watch the fun.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to see so much discussion on this topic becasue it's very near and dear to my heart!

The goal of all are products are to optimize your core temp, not simply wick. Everything out there wicks ... it's a given. There is so much more to it. With the combo of sun protection, hexachannel fiber, targeted mesh panels, ProCool will help you to physically sweat less! As you all know too well, it takes energy from the body to sweat. With the right core temp you sweat less and you will have more energy! The same principle applies in the winter which is why our baselayers are so popular. Obviously in an extreme like Kona, the bodies needs as much help as possible to regulate. From speaking with Torjorn, he definately keeps dumping water on him to create that cooling effect. In combo with the gloves and ice, it really pays off.

Shameless plug coming ... watch out ... Just so you all know, we have ProCool Arm Coolers and Compression Socks coming out as well in 2009! These were developed along with Torbjorn as well as Tim DeBoom.

Keep the questions coming!

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were several racers out there that I noted (I wasn't one of them) wearing arm coolers. I saw one fellow with a glove, too. Dave here was the fastest of the AGers. I don't know if any of the Top 5 men and women wore them, though. He says they worked like a charm :-)

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
sweating provides a cooling effect, but its the act of evaporating that does this (as the water evaporates, it draws the heat out of the skin).

water on the skin will provide a cooling effect as well. part of this is the 'heat sharing' that takes place (i just made up that phrase, so you might not find it anywhere else). basically the cooler water and the warmer skin try to equilibrate temp.

the bigger benefit though is water evaporating (either from sweat, or dumping it over yourself).
Yep and one of the things covering up does is create a micro climate between the skin and the garment. This allow the water to take more heat from the before it evaporates. The problem is once the temp gets above a certain point, the environment is putting the energy into it. So basically you're trying to create a much more humid environment in the micro climate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great to see so much discussion on this topic becasue it's very near and dear to my heart!

The goal of all are products are to optimize your core temp, not simply wick. Everything out there wicks ... it's a given. There is so much more to it. With the combo of sun protection, hexachannel fiber, targeted mesh panels, ProCool will help you to physically sweat less! As you all know too well, it takes energy from the body to sweat. With the right core temp you sweat less and you will have more energy! The same principle applies in the winter which is why our baselayers are so popular. Obviously in an extreme like Kona, the bodies needs as much help as possible to regulate. From speaking with Torjorn, he definately keeps dumping water on him to create that cooling effect. In combo with the gloves and ice, it really pays off.

Shameless plug coming ... watch out ... Just so you all know, we have ProCool Arm Coolers and Compression Socks coming out as well in 2009! These were developed along with Torbjorn as well as Tim DeBoom.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The goal of all are products are to optimize your core temp, not simply wick. Everything out there wicks ... it's a given. There is so much more to it.

Eric,

Great post thanks for the info. I worked at Sugoi back in the late 90's and did a lot of product testing for them at the time. Clearly, the best tech-fabrics have come a long way since then. What we found back then was that at certain point of heat and humidity, even the best fabrics became overwhelmed and could not move the sweat away from the skin to allow for the evaporative cooling effect to even work. At that point you might as well just be wearing a cotton shirt - well maybe not! Good to know that their have been advances.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Eric

It's great to hear you'll be bringing those things to market next season, but just for the record, I'm planning to register the brand name "Mantyhose" with the appropriate copyright authorities, so don't go stealing it for your new compression socks.

Love the Craft stuff. keep up the great work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, got a couple of questions for ya. when are the procool compression socks gonna be avaiable? and i understand torbjorn was wearing a procool t for hawaii, was he wearing a 09 model that will be avaiable soon? and i would like to get a pair of white tri shorts, like he wore, but apparantly they are not available in N america. do know a european website that would sell them? or any other way that i could get my ass in a pair?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craftman,

Does your cooling clothing line (apparel worn in the spring/summer) protect against the sun? Do the cooling clothes contain an SPF to shield a person from UVA and UVB rays?
Last edited by: RunFun: Jan 8, 09 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [pandaro12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top and bottom in09 were proto-types but made of the same ProCool fabric.
Sock will be available at the best Tri shops around 3/15/09!
You can find a dealer at our site. www.craftsports.us
Quote Reply
Re: Torbjorn's long-sleeve cooling shirt at Kona [RunFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES! All ProCool (except for the mesh superlight) is SPF 50 plus it's antimicrobial. How 'bout that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm going to order one...thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll put in another good word for the ProCool shirt. After trading some email with Torbjorn about his attire, I ordered one to wear at IM Western Australia -- coming from AK and being fair skinned I was concerned about sun exposure. (Aside, in what other sport do pro athletes respond to email questions about their gear!?)

Happy to say the jersey worked great! No sunburn, and it was very comfortable.

Thanks
Jeff

-----------------------------
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.alaskatriathlon.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next