Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data"
Quote | Reply
This past week, a series of “data” posts was made on the forum. These particular posts consisted of graphs showing windtunnel data comparing HED’s wheels with those of an unnamed, yet very obvious, competitor. This data was rather troubling to me as it was presented, since in its initial posting, it was essentially so incomplete as to be totally meaningless from all but a marketing perspective. I have gotten used to (and understand the need for) seeing wind tunnel data presented in a way that makes it easily digestible to a consumer, yet there is some minimum level of background information that I think ought to be required, especially on this forum where the data is presented as “information,” rather than marketing, and as such should be able to be actively questioned. If you, personally, cannot provide the answers that are required by persons questioning what you have posted, then you may not post it. Specifically, in the recent posts of HED’s data, the response was given “Call Steve Hed,” in response to some questions about why some of the information in the given posts did not match up with multiple published data sets that covered testing of one of the wheels. This is not an acceptable response. If the data is coming from you, you need to be able to explain it.

In attempt to codify our stance on these sort of posts, Dan and I have come up with a set of rules that we’d like people to abide by when posting anything that might fall under the guise of scientific data, such as windtunnel results, rolling resistance testing, etc.

If you are simply posting data that is a reprint of something you have read elsewhere, such as TOUR magazine, or RouesArtisinale.com, then a link to original data set and a reference to where it came from originally will suffice. What we are most concerned with here is “corporate” data that serves a dual purpose as a marketing tool. However, I would encourage “home testers” to try to be similarly informative if they post information that they have collected. So far, we have had no concern with any posts from individuals, whose posts are generally a great and informative asset that usually far exceed the information-sharing standards of that coming from most companies. Nevertheless, I’d like the rules regarding this sort of post to be universal and fair.

The “Gold Standard” for this information, in my opinion, is the set of “notes” that Alan Morrison provides at the beginning of his rolling resistance data sets. I have included it here as a reference (and it will also be posted in the FAQ’s). While these notes are specific to Alan’s rolling resistance testing, I hope it will serve as a more general guideline.

“Notes:
Crr values are typical for very smooth surfaces - Crr on typical road
surfaces may be 50 to 100 % higher
Tire Pressure = 120 psig unless otherwise noted
Speed ~ 51 km/hr (54X13 - ~ 100 rpm cadence)
SRM Pro Power Measurement (Zero'd before each test run - Calibrated
every 6 months)
Crr Calculation from Tom Anhalt's Spreadsheet
Tacx Rollers (79 mm PVC - 26 cm spacing) with Hinged Front Fork Mount
Test Run time ~ 2 minutes
Power per Wheel at 25 mph with 100 lb load
Rear wheel load adjusted per morning weigh in
Each tire warmed up for > 5 minutes before testing
Aero position used for all tests (to hopefully maximize repeatability
of rear wheel load)
Control - Ritchey Fortress and/or Michelin Pro 2 Light training tire
tested first and last each test day
Raw Speed Data was corrected for tire roll out prior to Crr calculation
Ambiant Temperature Range 65 - 75 F (typical 5 degree F range per test day)
During the tests tire T increases from 20 - 40 deg F (low Crr tires
heat up less than the higher Crr tires) - (Estimated T rise on a flat
surface is between 4 to 8 F)
Estimated Day to Day Repeatability Std. Dev. ~ 1.3 %”

While this exacting level of detail is not required, I would urge posters, especially those with corporate affiliations, to be as complete as possible when posting data. If a moderator feels that your data is insufficiently explained, he may pull your post until you are able to provide support which he feels is adequate enough to allow fair and honest evaluation.

These rules are not meant in any way to stifle the sharing of information. Rather the goal here is to make sure that information is shared in a way that allows constructive discussion and criticism. To reiterate, this is for the posting of data; it is not meant to prevent you from saying, “I read somewhere that bike X was faster than bike Y, but I can’t remember where.”

FAQ additions:

Rules Regarding the Posting of Scientific Data
1) If the data is merely a reprint from another website or
publication, all that is needed is a link or a reference to the
original source (and as much information is provided by the original
publisher).
2) If the data is coming from you, as a private individual, simply do
your best to explain your testing protocol and methodology. You should
be prepared to answer questions to the best of your ability.
3) If the data is coming from a company that you work for or are
otherwise affiliated with, you need to explain your affiliation to
that company. And you also need to provide adequate information to
support the data which your are presenting. Whether or not that
support is adequate is up to the judgment of our moderators. One guide
is that if the data was being published by your competitor, what would
you want to know? Another useful rule is that you should never reply
to a question with the following, "Call X if you have a question"; you
need to be able to explain what you have presented. Otherwise, you
can't post it. If you have any questions about information you'd like
to post, our moderators are always available to answer questions.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I want to see the tests that show that speedsuits(not wetsuits) give a 5 second per 100 advantage..I've seen that claim from many sources over the past months, some from the companies themselves...If is is more than 2/10's of a second per hundred, I would be suprised.....Full body, 5mm wetsuits are in the 5 second per 100 range for top swimmers, more for the BOP'ers, so this claim is just so full of shit, I want to see these tests....
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your intention to make this more scientific, but I will only mention 1 word .... POWERCRANKS. I have nothing else to say ;-)
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree mostly with the rationale and rule.

But have the ST moderators considered a Slashdot model for forum self-moderation?

For those not familiar, it's something along the lines of every post contains a rating between 1 and 5 in a few different categories (for ST they would be things like "Entertaining," "Informative," and yes, "Scientifically Sound" A new post has a rating of 3. If you don't like a post (for any reason), you can downgrade it. If you like it, you upgrade it. That way bad posts get quickly pounded into submission, and good ones get rewarded. There's even a handy filter so you can instantly weed out posts below any rating. If short one time for your daily ST fix you could very easily set your filter on 5 and get the day's best posts without having to sift through all the PowerCrank stuff or the pages of boring one-lined responses. The upgrading and downgrading is scaled by volume so that no one person has undue control, i.e. a few Zipp guys can't come in and shut down a HED post about how HED rules.

It's a free market model instead of the autocratic/bureaucratic model of setting up long-winded rules for very rare offenses. (And probably no one reads the FAQ anyway, so the managers are basically always reacting to things after the fact.).

Works beautifully on Slashdot.

Might backfire on the Hotties thread, but free market is free market.
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bah. Slashdot/Digg/etc. degenerated to mobocracies a long time ago. They stopped being useful to me as soon as the Linux/Obama/Whatever mafias took over. I would hate to see Slowtwitch go the same way.

I know it isn't a popular sentiment these days, but I feel the end product of a forum with fair, open, and consistent editorial management is better than the end product of a mobocracy like Slashdot.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then turn the filter off - it'd revert to current ST.
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a few Zipp guys can't come in and shut down a HED post about how HED rules.
Watch yourself...next you'll be calling Rappstar a scl scntst.
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*guffaw*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that these threads are almost always challenged and either lose interest or the data is posted. I think that someone that is sponsored by one company should not have the ability to freeze an interesting thread where the data IS being challenged.

Derek
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [theriad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an excellent point. The thread came under immediate challenge from multiple credible sources and the OP dug himself progressively deeper into a hole. I think most readers would leave that thread taking the graph data with a healthy dose of skepticism. I'm not sure that we needed to be so protected from ourselves in this case. I think ST was working properly in this case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call BS, there was ample response by many aero experts (and wannabes)who challenged the new HED data being published here. Many questions were rightfully raised. And many anwswers were left wanting.
But pulling the thread is complete overkill. It is needless at best and reeks of protectionism of ones sponsors and advertisers at its worst.
Could not Josh at Zipp repost the 808's tunnel tests. If he wanted to rebut the information, he could have. Why wasn't Trek's white paper removed from slowtwitch last year? Plenty of readers questioned that data as well.
Poor call slowtwitch. We have enough competent minds here to question data, poke at it, and decide if we like it or not.
If wind tunnel data wasn't always so hush-hush we wouldn't have these problems. Did you yank the thread that said one person's Jamis tested faster at 0 and 10 degrEe of yaw than the P3c yet?
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your intention to make this more scientific, but I will only mention 1 word .... POWERCRANKS. I have nothing else to say ;-)

I agree 100%. This new rule is mind boggling. On one hand, if you want to submit hard data, you have to provide full protocol and details. On the other hand, you have Frank Day who is free to claim 40% power improvement with no data and provide all sorts of anecdotal evidence. Slowtwitch evens sponsors a non-scientific study of these cranks.

Honestly, I don't see the need for those new rules. Anyone with a critical mind that has followed the HED data threads will know to take these with a grain of salt. For those that went out and bought HED wheels solely based on those graphs, I have PowerCranks to sell you (but then, you probably already have them...).

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I call BS, there was ample response by many aero experts (and wannabes)who challenged the new HED data being published here. Many questions were rightfully raised. And many anwswers were left wanting.
But pulling the thread is complete overkill. It is needless at best and reeks of protectionism of ones sponsors and advertisers at its worst.
Could not Josh at Zipp repost the 808's tunnel tests. If he wanted to rebut the information, he could have. Why wasn't Trek's white paper removed from slowtwitch last year? Plenty of readers questioned that data as well.
Poor call slowtwitch. We have enough competent minds here to question data, poke at it, and decide if we like it or not.
If wind tunnel data wasn't always so hush-hush we wouldn't have these problems. Did you yank the thread that said one person's Jamis tested faster at 0 and 10 degrEe of yaw than the P3c yet?

I don't believe any threads have been pulled...

It's my impression that the basic intent is to discourage people from posting stuff "out of context" and then not adequately supplying the "context" when asked...that's all.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe any threads have been pulled...

When will we know the results of the Slowtwitch Monitor And Review Team? If that HED data passes muster with SMART, then I'm gonna buy a set of those new fangled wheels. I'd like to know before HED announces SMART approval on their website, cause when that happens, them wheels is gonna be scarce.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to make a long-winded post prior to seeing this thread, the main point of which was to address a lot of the issues that you have with the Hed data posts. I have a lot of the exact same concerns. However, I question the whole 'forum rule' thing though. He posts the data, we tear into it. If he pulls the 'hey, don't ask me, I'm just posting the data' BS, he gets appropriately called on it. I think folks are smart enough, and there are enough haters like me out there to keep things honest.

So, on to hating...I'll just put this post here instead of on the Hed data threads: I don't think I've ever seen a less professional 'presentation' of 'data' ever--and I'm including Frank here....

There were some extraordinary claims, and some extraordinary allegations: " they never worried about their competitors printing fraudulent or massaged data as it never hurt their sales. Their sales are now stronger than ever but they decided the truth needed to be printed. It is their feeling that it is irresponsible to mislead consumers with data"

If you're going to accuse another company of putting out 'fraudulent data', and put forward your own data which runs contrary not only to other manucturer's data, but other independent data (and your own previous data) as well, you better be prepared to answer some questions. 'Call Steve Hed' is an answer that falls pretty flat. So does putting up a chart from 'a major bike manufacter with no vested interest' when the same data happens to be on Hed's website.

At least when Zipp posts data, there's no obfuscation regarding the data's origins, and if someone from Zipp posts data, they're willing to answer pointed questions about it. All in all, I think it reflects poorly on the company. If I were marketing Hed's stuff, I'd take a look at how both Zipp and Trek post stuff on this site. They do so in a manner that has a hell of a lot more credibility. Note: posting a picture asking 'hey, what aero bars are those' when you know the answer to be a product with which you have some nebulous involvement is not credible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In attempt to codify our stance on these sort of posts, Dan and I have come up with a set of rules that we’d like people to abide by when posting anything that might fall under the guise of scientific data, such as windtunnel results, rolling resistance testing, etc.

Jordan,

Whatever. I trust the moderators and publishers of this wonderful forum to come up with the rules, and I will respect and abide by them.

Clearly their are some very knowledgeable people here with much to contribute. I have actually learned a great deal.

To be honest I never really pay that much attention to the really "Scientific" threads, they seem to to get completely out of control, but then again, I'm the guy, who through some minor miracle, I guess, was able to ride sub 5 at both IMC and IMH on a round tubed, steel road bike, with no HRM or power meter, no aero helmet, two H20 bottles on the frame, with one step up from box rims and the dreaded Conti GP tubular tires.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 22, 08 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I think I learned quite a bit from that thread. I learned which posts I'd discount in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The “Gold Standard” for this information, in my opinion, is the set of “notes” that Alan Morrison provides at the beginning of his rolling resistance data sets. I have included it here as a reference (and it will also be posted in the FAQ’s). While these notes are specific to Alan’s rolling resistance testing, I hope it will serve as a more general guideline.

Quote:
as much i respect Allans testing i would not called it the gold standard

better is to come up with a standard measurement that you can compare all test any where in the world independently

we do testing for roll coeff

and have more then 20 parameters and measure them all
i try to post a sample next week

http://www.ada.prorider.org
skype ceesbeers191053
Last edited by: cees: Sep 22, 08 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I applaud your attempt to provide integrity to these postings. My hat off to you!
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [cees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

as much i respect Allans testing i would not called it the gold standard

better is to come up with a standard measurement that you can compare all test any where in the world independently

Ummm...his testing is "repeatable" (and has been) by anyone in the world with access to a powermeter, a set of rollers with a front fork mount, a scale, a tire pressure gauge, and loads of free time. What more do you need?

What would you suggest as a better "standard method"??

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't agree. Too much "government" here, Jordan. In the situation at hand, certain forum members have posted data. Others have questioned the data, or at least have asked for the supporting information you want to "legislate" must be there.

I say laissez-faire! If the data is not posted to sufficiently satisfy appropriate questions, then the member(s) posting the data will quickly lose credibility and either be ignored, or at least marginalized. I think most respectable members will strive to protect their credibility to the greatest extent possible.

Additionally, the data leads to questions leads to answers leads to more questions flow of information often provides clues in itself to how the data ought to be filed and to the thought processes of both the OPs and the Respondees.

Too much meddling, says I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How will this affect the data posted about PowerCranks?
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Rules: The Posting of "Scientific Data" [tessitori] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How will this affect the data posted about PowerCranks?

There are data posted about PowerCranks? All I've ever seen are ludicrous claims and "interesting" anecdotes. ;)

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This past week, a series of “data” posts was made on the forum. These particular posts consisted of graphs showing windtunnel data comparing HED’s wheels with those of an unnamed, yet very obvious, competitor. This data was rather troubling to me as it was presented, since in its initial posting, it was essentially so incomplete as to be totally meaningless from all but a marketing perspective. I have gotten used to (and understand the need for) seeing wind tunnel data presented in a way that makes it easily digestible to a consumer, yet there is some minimum level of background information that I think ought to be required, especially on this forum where the data is presented as “information,” rather than marketing, and as such should be able to be actively questioned. If you, personally, cannot provide the answers that are required by persons questioning what you have posted, then you may not post it. Specifically, in the recent posts of HED’s data, the response was given “Call Steve Hed,” in response to some questions about why some of the information in the given posts did not match up with multiple published data sets that covered testing of one of the wheels. This is not an acceptable response. If the data is coming from you, you need to be able to explain it.

If you are simply posting data that is a reprint of something you have read elsewhere, such as TOUR magazine, or RouesArtisinale.com, then a link to original data set and a reference to where it came from originally will suffice. What we are most concerned with here is “corporate” data that serves a dual purpose as a marketing tool. However, I would encourage “home testers” to try to be similarly informative if they post information that they have collected. So far, we have had no concern with any posts from individuals, whose posts are generally a great and informative asset that usually far exceed the information-sharing standards of that coming from most companies. Nevertheless, I’d like the rules regarding this sort of post to be universal and fair.

“Notes:
Crr values are typical for very smooth surfaces - Crr on typical road
surfaces may be 50 to 100 % higher
Tire Pressure = 120 psig unless otherwise noted
Speed ~ 51 km/hr (54X13 - ~ 100 rpm cadence)
SRM Pro Power Measurement (Zero'd before each test run - Calibrated
every 6 months)
Crr Calculation from Tom Anhalt's Spreadsheet
Tacx Rollers (79 mm PVC - 26 cm spacing) with Hinged Front Fork Mount
Test Run time ~ 2 minutes
Power per Wheel at 25 mph with 100 lb load
Rear wheel load adjusted per morning weigh in
Each tire warmed up for > 5 minutes before testing
Aero position used for all tests (to hopefully maximize repeatability
of rear wheel load)
Control - Ritchey Fortress and/or Michelin Pro 2 Light training tire
tested first and last each test day
Raw Speed Data was corrected for tire roll out prior to Crr calculation
Ambiant Temperature Range 65 - 75 F (typical 5 degree F range per test day)
During the tests tire T increases from 20 - 40 deg F (low Crr tires
heat up less than the higher Crr tires) - (Estimated T rise on a flat
surface is between 4 to 8 F)
Estimated Day to Day Repeatability Std. Dev. ~ 1.3 %”

While this exacting level of detail is not required, I would urge posters, especially those with corporate affiliations, to be as complete as possible when posting data. If a moderator feels that your data is insufficiently explained, he may pull your post until you are able to provide support which he feels is adequate enough to allow fair and honest evaluation.

These rules are not meant in any way to stifle the sharing of information. Rather the goal here is to make sure that information is shared in a way that allows constructive discussion and criticism. To reiterate, this is for the posting of data; it is not meant to prevent you from saying, “I read somewhere that bike X was faster than bike Y, but I can’t remember where.”

FAQ additions:

Rules Regarding the Posting of Scientific Data
1) If the data is merely a reprint from another website or
publication, all that is needed is a link or a reference to the
original source (and as much information is provided by the original
publisher).
2) If the data is coming from you, as a private individual, simply do
your best to explain your testing protocol and methodology. You should
be prepared to answer questions to the best of your ability.
3) If the data is coming from a company that you work for or are
otherwise affiliated with, you need to explain your affiliation to
that company. And you also need to provide adequate information to
support the data which your are presenting. Whether or not that
support is adequate is up to the judgment of our moderators. One guide
is that if the data was being published by your competitor, what would
you want to know? Another useful rule is that you should never reply
to a question with the following, "Call X if you have a question"; you
need to be able to explain what you have presented. Otherwise, you
can't post it. If you have any questions about information you'd like
to post, our moderators are always available to answer questions.
When you want to use rules for "scientific data" then please use SI units.

The modern form of the metric system is the world's most widely used system of units, both in everyday commerce and in science. So why not on slowtwitch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/...onal_System_of_Units

Quote | Reply
I am going to go off topic a bit here:
I was not involved in last weeks posts on the new stingers, but obviously it didn't go over well. If I were non-affiliated I would be skeptical too.
Rightly or wrongly, we have been described in the past as having very good products and poor marketing. I agreed then and agree even more now.
there was nothing massaged or manipulated about the data posted last week. Wheels were run with the same tires, at the same speeds and angles. It didn't surprise us that the stingers were fast, but they went even better than we expected.
Somebody decided to throw the numbers over the fence to a pack of hungry dogs, and predictably they got torn to shreds.
I'll do what I can to put up more comprehensive data, but it is busy here, what with interbike then Kona. It'll take some time, probably just enough time to let most people forget about it, then we'll stir it up again. Won't that be fun!

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply

Prev Next