Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ITU worlds/ ITU are pussies????
Quote | Reply
I just heard a rumor, and I really hope it is not true, because I really thought that my brothers and sisters up north were actually some of the toughest people in our sport. First they cancelled the parade of nations because of a little rain, that I can live with(sly smirk), but now I hear they are going to cut the swim?? You got to be kidding me, this is supposed to be the triathlon world champs. Has the sport gotten so lazy and soft that even the best in the world cannot swim with their 5mm wetsuits in water that we used to swim bare ass in??? What's going up there Canuks, tell me I'm just hearing a false rumor........
Last edited by: monty: Jun 5, 08 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ Canadians are pussies???? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shortened to 900m I heard

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea, but wouldn't it be the ITU's decision (not just Canucks)?
I dunno if I'd call what we've been getting a little rain. Right now my computer is telling 9 degrees (didn't see it get higher than 10) and when I went for my run this morning, getting to the track around 9:30, the tracks were completely flooded. I find it interesting, though, that the swim would be cut down though... what's a "little" rain while you're in the water? :)

Quote | Reply
I'm not in the know for the race organization but the CBC news coverage tonight said the water was 12 degrees and six girls from the juniors race today dropped out due to the cold. Didn't sound too pleasant. They also showed some junior guy ralping his guts out in transition, just what I wanted to see while eating dinner!

If anyone in the Vancouver area has a neoprene swim cap and wants to make some money they should head to English Bay with it, apparently there are none to be had in the city and athletes are willing to pay for them.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ Canadians are pussies???? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
six girls from the juniors race today dropped out due to the cold. Didn't sound too pleasant. They also showed some junior guy ralping his guts out in transition,\\

Oh well, I didn't know all that. They better cut the entire swim then, sounds way to dangerous if JR. girls cannot make it.. After all, it is the Jr. girls that set the bar now in Canada, eeh????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should all man up. We won't be much better at IM CdA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here it comes.... 3.... 2.... 1.....

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were just the Canucks doing the race, we would go in as normal. But we heard that some southern US folks were showing up and we know what they are like. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard any of this, but my guess would be that IF they are cutting any of the swim, it would be just for the juniors (and possibly the AG race). If it is decided that the pros don't do the whole thing, then the ITU has some serious issues.

Kids I can completely understand.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ Canadians are pussies???? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like the JR's already did the race. How will that be if they end up being the only ones that do the proper swim??? Assuming they did the whole swim today... And the AG'ers need to toughen up too, what is 600 more meters. Come on you guys, it is the world champs, people had to qualify to get here. It's bad enough it is draft legal for the AG'ers now it is going to be a duathlon??? We may have sent the wrong team for this race.....
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ Canadians are pussies???? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since the Junior race is already finished, I don't think they are cutting the course short. Especially when you look at the official splits - no male under 13 minutes? Sounds like the course was in fact long (either that or the timing mats were placed a km away from the swim exit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We may have sent the wrong team for this race.....

Don't worry Monty. H2Ofun will still swim the whole distance, sans wetsuit...cos he's a real swimmer

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty,

The results with splits are posted on http://www.triathlon.org. When you look at them you will definitely see that the swim has not been cut short. It was the same thing last year - juniors going 15 minutes for a "750m" swim - probably more like 250m long.

Also, I think it is the ITU Office that is the RD for the race. Rumour has it there were some politics involved and the ITU ended up taking control over the race several months ago so any decisions have nothing to do with Tri Can, a local RD or the Cdn team.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very classy title monty.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ ITU are pussies???? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just grateful that my wife won a Kona lottery spot and we cancelled going to this embarrassment as we had both qualified. It's been a f*ck up from the start from what I gather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to ask: what do you know about pussies? What are your credentials in that area?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ ITU are pussies???? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to ask: what do you know about pussies? What are your credentials in that area?
hahahahhaha :D

Quote | Reply
When they announced that today, my first thought was "I wonder how long it will take monty to find out about this and post on ST?". :)

Make no mistake though - its 'a chilly in 'dere. Us sprint folks will be doing the "long" 750 tomorrow (no choice - its a point to point swim and the beaches are too far apart from what I can tell). I wonder if we will swim farther than the Olympic distance athletes?

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I think you are a bit hasty and harsh. Here is a news link where they talk about shortening the upcoming Ironman CDA swim because of cold conditions.

:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvddoQbZP2c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say that I am probably not alone in thinking that the title of this thread was inappropriate. Come on guys...

Anyway, I think that there was a similar issue at the Great Britain Champs a few weeks ago and A LOT of the field dropped from hypothermia.

Someone at the pool told me about the 50/50/50 rule the other day. I guess the Coast Guard uses it...or so they told me.

50% of the people you put in 50* water(with no wetsuit), for 50minutes with die....

-

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Last edited by: Blakebeck: Jun 6, 08 5:55
Quote Reply
Re: ITU worlds/ ITU are pussies???? [Blakebeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having been training the last few days here in Vancouver and run into athletes from around the world, they just have been caught completely off guard by the conditions. The weather has been unseasonably cold with some hard rain to make it even more unpleasant.

I did an hour open water swim last night and the water temp was 12 degrees. With IMCDA coming up I had a neoprene cap and booties, most of the local without them were out of the water after a shorter than usual swim. It took about 150 - 200 metres to be able to have your face completely in the water and get into a normal stroke and single side breathing another 200 to be able to bilateral breath.

Talking to some athletes from Australia they were just completely frozen during their OWS session and even riding. Sat and Sun look like it will be partly sunny with temps going up to 16 degrees.

it turns out that our OP is only "mostly" dead........ ElGordo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's the World Championship and if there's a race where you want to race a standard distance it's likely the World Championship, but haven't I read Monty write on this forum that triathletes shouldn't be so anal about events, that we should be more flexible re: alternate distances and formats?

If the water is close to be dangerously cold, especially for the older athletes, why not chill (pardon the pun) and cut the swim distance? Everyone who signs up for a race in a location where there's a chance the water could be very cold knows there's a risk of a shortened swim. Everybody is doing the same course. It's still a triathlon, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the swim is to be shortened, the temps are the same as Triple T 2 weeks ago and none of the AGer's there fell apart or turn to ice.

There is a certain level of wussification that appears to be happening.
I don't know that the Canadians are behind the ruling, if there is the promise of beer at the end of the race we would swim
in almost anything :-)
Andrew

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets get something straight here. We Canadians would not be complaining about the water temperature as we swim in it all the time. The title should read as follows.

"Why do all the other countries not prepare to race in the the weather conditions of the host country"

It is the other countries that are pussies and are complaining about the water temperature.

Us Canadians swim in the water all the time in almost next to nothing and do not complain at all.

You do not hear about us complaining about the 40 degree C weather we need to race in. A guy like Simon will build a shed to simulate the heat and trains in it all the time.

The international competitors should have put their trainers in the shower and run cold water over themselves to get ready for this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny... just watching the news and there's someone down there interviewing "Phillip" who, I would guess, is from the ITU (sounds Australian??). The woman from the news just asked about the crappy weather and he said, "The athletes love it because it keeps them cool." No mention of any negative impact to the races because of the weather. Interesting.

Prev Next