Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES...
Quote | Reply
So I just talked to Pauly on the course, and there was a main group of about 6 out of the water, Bozonne,Thompson, Macca, Llanos, and we think Bjorn. ! mile into the bike it was Bozonne in front...

Fast foreward to 6 miles and Bjorn has taken the lead by 7 seconds over Bozonne, and is pulling away in that fast dwonhill section on the main hyw. Llanos is back at 12 seconds, and Macca is 30 seconds.. I would have expected David Thompson to be up there, perhaps they just missed him. Looks like Bjorn is not going to wait to make a move, too many great runners behind this year, he will need a good bike gap. He has been here training the past two weeks, and all his training paces are improved from last year, so he is ready in that respect. Race day alwyays has a way of throwing curve balls at you, not matter the preparation though..

I had also heard that Macca didn't race last weekend due to an injury, but that is just a rumor. Can't believe he would start this race with any injury, it would not be wise to gamble your whole season on getting through this course easy......
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Monty ... anything on the women's side? I'm in St. Croix where it's been cloudy, cool (for here), and drizzling rain ... good conditions for the race tomorrow - looking forward to hearing the Wildflower updates!
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing on the Womens, Paul will be following the lead men, so it may be awhile before we hear anything. We are trying to make contact with our new cub reporter Jay, but nothing yet. Cell coverage is horrible out there.

Right now Bjorn and Bozonne have seperated from the others, Llanos is still 3rd, and a small group is froming with macca..David Thompson is 2 minutes back, apparently he has not had much out door riding this year so far. Looking at his bike splits from the 3 races he has done, he seems to be close to form, but just not quite there yet. I think that the guys at Tampa last week, took about 2 minutes out of him in a 40k, not a good sign for him today....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping we would get some updates here. Keep 'em up when you can get them. I was supposed to be there but got sick and felt like I was having a near death experience so stayed home. About 50% better today.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty thank for the updates. Im on an official extended family vacation but just volunteered to drive my mominlaw to a coffeeshop for her to do some work online..."volunteered". Now I get to sit here for an hour and see wildflower online. My pick remains terenzo on the guys side...

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"About 50% better today.."

I hear that PCetyl-para-aminophenol makes you feel about 40% better.

;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates Monty.

GO BJORN!!!
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO they are at mile 20 now, and Chris Leito has been making his move into contention. HE is now in 3rd place, but riding about the same pace as Bjorn. Bjorn has opened up about 15 econds on Bozonne, and Leito is about 1:30 back, he rode right through Macca's group and Llanos. David Thompson continues to struggle a couple minutes+ back, Leito was near him at the beginning, but David could not go with him. Perhaps David is going to make a 2nd half surge, it is the perfect course to hold a little something back for about 4o miles, and then put it down. I once gained 3 minutes on the lead pack in just the last 12 miles. There is no easy part to this bike ride, and the finish gives the guys who have some left in the tank to really get some time gaps....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK OK OK...enough suspense....what all of ST really wants to know is whether Steve Larsen is going to post the fastest bike split of 4 hours per week of training...

...OK, so not 4 hours per week of bike training, but regardless, where is he right now. Did he start this morning?

Good luck to Bjorn...lots of horses that he will have to hold off after T2!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about Larsen starting, but it is one hell of a bike race on the front right now. Leito has pulled into 2nd place, still over a minute behind Bjorn, they seem to be riding the same pace right now. Bjorn is looking back quite often, perhaps he is waiting for that duo to work pace together at the front??? Bozonne has fallen off the pace, no suprise to me, this is one of the toughest parts of the course, a gradual uphill grind, usually into a headwind. This is what Bjorn lives for. Perhaps Bozonne will make his move on the steep climb at nasty grade, where his light frame will be an advantage..

However I would not bet that either Leito or Bjorn will lose ground there, Leito is a great climber, and Bjorn just did the mountain in 45 minutes again here, two minutes faster than he did last year at this time. I think he held something like 470 watts for the 45 minutes. I'm no numbers geek, but I think that is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
470W for 45 minutes...that's HUGE....how many Kg does Bjorn weigh in at right now?....Did the 45 min beat Jordan's time?

Monty, the weather in St. Croix is cloudy and sub 80 degrees....this would be the year for you to do it....tomorrow low of 73 high of 81 with chance of rain....I came here for HEAT, WIND, HUMIDITY and I'm barely getting late May Ottawa weather!!! What gives. On Thursday's group swim I swam the entire thing with Kevin Moats....I take it that he is the big dog to beat in the 50-54 age group...it would be great if you were here to give him a good run!!!

What's the weather like at Wildflower this year? Is it Bjorn favourable?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO they have made the turn at about 35 miles, and Bjorn is still in the lead, with Leito in 2nd about a minute back. At this point it appears that Bjorn is starting to pull away from him..The big news is that David Thompson has ridden into contention, passing Macca in around 5th place, and a guy I don't know named Cartwell I think it is, has moved into 4th with Llanos. Thompson is still about 2:40 down on Bjorn, but that means he has stopped the bleeding somewhat, and is finding his legs. He is very aero on the downhill coast, where as Macca is up and catching a lot of wind. I think that Macca is really in a tough group of bikers here, and it will be very hard for him to stay within sight of these 4 guys. HE will have to do it on the run, but having a guy like Bozonne up the road will not make that easy either. He has the course record overall, and the run record of just under 1:12...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the WOMENS....McGlone pass Bjorn yet???
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather is perfect for a big Swede this year Dev, in the low 70's so far..

As we thought, Bjorn is now pulling away from Leito, he now has 70 seconds. Bozonne is hanging tough at 1:40 back, and Llando is 1:55.. Then the group led by Thompson, Macca, and Cartwell at 3:40..Our reports are that everyone is riding super clean, and there is no lead car for Bjorn, just a moped following him. This is what makes Wildflower so great, my guess is that there are little to no marshalls out there, but the course gives the athletes no excuse to get caught up in a compromising position.

The pace must be really fast I would guess, just by the fact that Leito is losing ground slowly, and the main group is losing gobs of time..
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a reminder, this was the start list from earlier this week - I don't know if some dropped out or were added -which is always the case.

Wildflower:
BAKER, KAT
NAETH, ANGELA
CORBIN, LINSEY
MEADE, KATHRIN
COOPER, HALEY
TAYLOR, PIP
HILGER, KRISTIN
MCGLONE,SAMANTHA
WURTELE, HEATHER
CAVE, LEANDA
BALDING, AMANDA
COUCH, KELLY
GALLO, LINDA
FORD, ERIN
SMITH, ALEXIS
SWANSON, EILEEN
MACEL, TEREZA
SEGUIN, ANISSA
LEACH, LORI-LYNN
SCHUMACHER, KATJA

FARRELL, COREY
BOZZONE, TERENZO

STEHULA, CHRIS

HOFFMAN, BEN

CARTMELL, FRASSER

COTTER, JAMES

GAMBLES, JOE

HACKETT, STEPHEN

LOCKTON, ANDREW

BICKERSTAFF, RYAN

BRANDON, BARRETT

MCKENZIE, LUKE

GRIFFIN, LEON

JENSEN, ADAM
LAFRENZ, A.J.
NELSON, KIRK

REMALY, GREG

TREMONTE, CHRIS

ANDERSSON, BJORN

WURTELE, TREVOR

THOMPSON, DAVID

EDWARDS, BILLY

LLANOS, ENEKO

EVERETT, KEVIN

TAYLOR, THOMAS

MCCORMACK, CHRIS

PILAND, JEFFREY

BLAKE, JASPER

PLATA, VICTOR

ARCHER, JIMMY

LEGH, CHRISTOPHER
LIETO, CHRIS
LLANOS BURGERA, HEKTOR
LARSEN, STEVE
FROST, DAN
YOUNG, SCOTT

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick report of the two leaders, Leito has made a move on the rollers leading up to Nasty grade, and is starting the climb 55 seconds back. We will have to wait to see if he actually did make a move, or Bjorn is preparing for the long climb ahead by throttling back. I told Paul to call me when they make the right turn at the false top of Nasty grade, that will give a good indication of who is climbing well today..

I also hear that they paved the superfast downhill section this year, and Bjorn is using a super deep front wheel along with his disc. With his 180lbs and all this stuff, he could hit near 90-100k on that stretch, if there is a slight tailing wind....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... Bjorn just did the mountain in 45 minutes again here, two minutes faster than he did last year at this time. I think he held something like 470 watts for the 45 minutes.

Looks like it's Jordan's turn to throw down now!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I was wondering if anyone out there knows this Frasier Cartmell??? I do not know of him or his abilities, but he certainly can swim and bike to hang so far with this group of guys..How about some ST love for this guy, can he run????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates!

What kind of lead off the bike will Bjorn need to hang for the win?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not looking good for DKT in the first leg of the DKT $10,000 challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
judging from the results that I ahve seen from Cartmell I would say he is having a great race up to this point, he has a stong swim/bike combination. At Oceanside he was 8th overall but had the slowest run (1:21) of everyone in the top ten.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for him, he would need about 10 minutes. Last year he did it with less, but only one guy was chasing him. The odds that Macca, Bozonne, and whoever else is lurking back there would all have marginal runs, is pretty slim. Bjorn can run a mid 1:25 +/- range. Bozonne has done 1:12 flat, and Macca should be able to do a 1:14 +/-.. I don't know what Leito is capable of right now, perhaps around 1:20 +/- on a good run. So Bjorn has to have a lot left in huis tank right now, and use it to have any chance. We haven't even heard about Chris Legh yet either, he usually swims bad, but bikes and runs with the leaders, so expect him to pop up sometime if he is on form.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And I was wondering if anyone out there knows this Frasier Cartmell??? I do not know of him or his abilities, but he certainly can swim and bike to hang so far with this group of guys..How about some ST love for this guy, can he run????
He placed 3rd at SA 70.3 and 8th at the Cali 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's not looking good for DKT in the first leg of the DKT $10,000 challenge!
It doesn't start til Alcatraz...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL WILDFLOWER RESULTS AND UPDATES... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that WIldflower is on the DKT challenge..Good thing he left off his last 4 races, he has not had the fastest bike split in any of them, and it looks like he may not even have a top 3 split here..He better be racing into form, otherwise that DKT challenge is going to turn into a PR nightmare for the sponsors that put up the $$$.. I never thought it was smart in the first place, only bad press can come from it in the long run, it puts a big bullseye on his back. ANd he is not so much better that the other 1/2 dozen other good riders out there that it would have been some kind of cakewalk..

They will be lining up to take David's money..Only saving grace for him will be that it probably won't be the same guy, and they will not have to pay the extra 6 grand bonus for a sweep by the same guy. So far in his first 4 races, 4 different guys will have beaten him, and last week, I think many others were also in front.....Maybe he is playing possum....
Quote Reply

Prev Next