Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

period, training, and the Diva Cup
Quote | Reply
Well I think a women's forum is the right place for this one :)

I always dreaded training on a period: just a pain. I don't really like tampons but would use them for training. But a non-tri friend recently told me about the Diva Cup and I finally tried it out. OMG that is amazing! Really easy to get started using, and so much nicer than a tampon! I can wear it all night without worries, and it's fine for training. At first I was concerned with if it would truly be comfortable/usable with training. Sure, the website says it, but that doesn't mean I'd be comfortable on a bike with one for hours. But it is! I barely feel it running (no more than a tampon, and probably less) and don't remember it's that time of the month when I'm biking. I've swam with it as well, although just for a short swim, and it seemed good there, too.

Definitely something to check out for those of you interested in a less-hassle and cheaper solution for that time of the month :) Seems better for the environment and your body, too!

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [kylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it is not as environmentally friendly, but I like Instead. Available that the grocery store. Same concept, but disposable.
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never heard of that one. But good to know if I forget the diva cup and can't find one in a nearby store (although some do carry it) there is something else to look for.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. A friend of mine highly recommended that but I was a little worried about the training aspect of it.
When I'm not longer pregnant or breastfeeding I'll have to try it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Interesting... I was just looking at the Diva cup yesterday. Forgive me if I'm not understanding this correctly, but my question is, how do you "clean" it as you are emptying it? Do you re-insert it then? Are you afraid of what germs might grow on it? Like I said, I might be completely ignorant on the Diva cup....

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recommended is to wash it with hot soapy water a couple times a day. Since you can leave it in for so long, I found that I could just do this at home and ignore it while I was elsewhere. I found actually that just dealing with it around shower time made for an easy option -- just wash as you wash you, and put it back in.

Here is their official answer to if it is sanitary.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow this is interesting. It would be great not to have to deal with a tampon doing the hokey pokey(you know a little bit in a little bit out) during training. Do I get it at the drugstore?? Is it like putting in a diaphram or an ob tampon? I could never get the hang of those.
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
wow this is interesting. It would be great not to have to deal with a tampon doing the hokey pokey(you know a little bit in a little bit out) during training. Do I get it at the drugstore?? Is it like putting in a diaphram or an ob tampon? I could never get the hang of those.
You can get them at some stores (they have a finder for stores that carry it on their site) or through the mail by ordering through their site.

I've never used a diaphram or an ob tampon, so I'm not sure how similar it is. Basically it is like a tampon, but you have to get a bit more up close and personal for it. It's basically a little soft cup that you fold, slide in, and twist a bit to make sure it has opened up in place. They worn that it might take some time to get used to, and that there might be a bit of drippage as you get used to it. I found though that it was only the first couple times I used it that had that, and by the end of my first cycle using it it was getting a lot easier to get in and out and in the correct spot. I wore a panty liner with it for the cycle just in case, but didn't even really need that.

---
Last edited by: kylie: Mar 13, 08 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a new user of the Diva Cup as well, and I love it! I have extremely light periods... so light that it hurts to pull out a dry tampon. The Diva Cup is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [maura9900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has got to be one of the worst feeling in the world. It gives me the heebs just thinking about it.

Hmmmm, no guys have posted on this thread. ;-)

In my oovey-groovy days I used a device called The Keeper. It sounds very much like the Diva cup. I always had a hell of a time getting it out and then my hands looked as if I'd murdered someone. I'm a good old Tampax girl.
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are very similar -- I haven't had an issue getting the diva cup out. It sits lower than a tampon, and you can kinda push it to where you can easily grab and remove it.

And yes, no more not-so-needed tampon feeling is WONDERFUL! That's part of why I got up the courage to actually post about this ;)

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember The Keeper from my Berkeley days. They were very big there.. by big I mean popular.

OK, for those that are done having babies, I have to say that Novasure changed my life - no more period, nada, ever, without hormones being affected in anyway. Even the cramps are gone. It's basically an hour in-office procedure, you're awake, and it cauterizes the uterine lining. It hurt like hell - for 20 seconds. Worth every second!

http://novasure.com/irregular-period/novasure-procedure.cfm

Kylie - I keep reading your sig line and thinking Mark is posting to this thread! LOL.
Last edited by: runlikeamother: Mar 14, 08 0:33
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the instead cup now - love it because most of the time I'm too light for a tampon as well. Using it, I have even forgotten I was on my period. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the diva cup, I haven't seen it in stores around here but I've heard of it before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the info you will ever need, on picking a menstrual cup:

http://labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/Cups.html
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking about this with my g/f yesterday (we are both fairly environmentally conscious and the idea to stop using pads is appealing), and we were wondering about what you cup users do when you need to empty it during the day: do you have a 2nd cup you bring with yourself? just reinsert the same one? given the mechanics of the thing it seems it would be difficult to take it out and reinsert it in a public washroom in a hygienic and mess-free way. Or is this a case where most people don't really change it outside the house? It seems it would be difficult not to if your flow is significant and you are spending the whole day at work etc. I have read the FAQ on the site just linked but I was wondering if anybody here has more to add...
Last edited by: Marco in BC: Mar 14, 08 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmmm, no guys have posted on this thread. ;-)[/quote] We are covering our ears (eyes on this case) and going loudly "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA" :p

Quote Reply
Re: period, training, and the Diva Cup [Maui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just take the cup out and wash it with gentle soap and water, then stick it right back in. You can wear it up to 12 hours without removing/cleaning. My flow is light enough that I can go the entire 12 hours and not fill 1/4 the cup, so I don't have to worry about public restrooms. I guess you can get two diva cups (it comes with a little pouch) if you absolutely need to, but I think most women should be able to make it with just one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead works great-the lady who invented it runs. I am able to swim with it and running is comfroatable. Plus it holds fluid away from your body-less stink!

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in case anyone is interested in purchasing a Diva Cup, my Whole Foods has them on sale for $26.00 which I believe is a $5-7 savings. I picked up mine last night.
Quote Reply