Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid
Quote | Reply
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiQCLblPPno

Occasionally, I see people questioning what first bike to purchase for your children. Here is my quick review of the skuut balance bike $80.

Background: A balance bike is basically a small bike w/o pedals and a limited range of movement of the handlebars. The child scoots forward flintstones style and quickly learns how to balance two wheels. Eventually, they can move to a full bike w/o training wheels.

Use: We purchased for X-mas in 06 when my son was 1.8 years old. He wasn't tall enough for his legs to reach the ground over the seat so we kept it in the house. From about 2 years to 2.4 we he rode it around the house to build his confidence. At 2.5 he was ready to head outside. Within 1 day he was fully riding outside. Now he is 2.8 and is flying. He has a range of about 3 miles with me running alongside or biking behind him (very slowly).

Skuut Review: $80. The skuut is cheap compared to the like-a-bike (240-280). It does have some construction issues, but they are pretty easily fixed because of the wood construction. He rides it almost everyday, so it is starting to show wear.

Skuut:

Like-a-bike:

Last edited by: hank rearden: Feb 13, 08 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it appears the auto re-sizing feature doesn't work with *bmp pictures...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His face is priceless in that video. LOVE it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow that looks like fun.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a bokoo bike for my daughter at 21m, but she is just *this* much too short. A couple more months. Here is a pic

Although she won't be able to use the brake for a little while, it is a nice addition and actually works - E

on ebay, there is a mtn and road version for 125. No I don't work for them, just thought to add another bike to the list
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that looks cool. Are the tires air filled? How is the construction quality?

The skuut is definately cheap. I didn't think it was going to be an issue until my son started riding it every day. Now, I'm glueing it together and the fabric seat is wearing through.

The brake would have helped on Sat. My son went a bit too fast down a hill and overshot a bridge/corner. Total endo/face plant. He did, however demand that he had to do the hill/corner again all bloodied up before we left the park. I'm sure the other parents were horrified.

First road rash:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing that, it is priceless.

If we could all find the joy of riding that is shown on his face....

Three weeks ago I got a call from wife, seems my Boy (5) wanted to tell me something, "Dadddy, I rode my bike today without the training wheels."

He was on a playdate with his girlfriend/fiance who is six and she taught him how to ride a bike. What we men won't do to impress a girl.....

Still I'm kind of sad I missed that. We wnet out as soon as I got home that night and rode a few minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME. I learned to ride a bike by doing that with a tiny bike we had kicking around - it had pedals, but I easily could touch the ground with both feet so I never used them.

That rocks.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My son went a bit too fast down a hill and overshot a bridge/corner. Total endo/face plant. He did, however demand that he had to do the hill/corner again all bloodied up before we left the park.

Your son kicks ass!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must admit I had all kinds of conflicting emotions in a nanosecond:
Horror: I was running right behind him, and the crash looked BAD.
Protection: Picked him up immediately and was relieved to hear him cry and talk.
Equipment check: After I picked him up I picked up the bike to see if it was damaged.
Shock: That he wanted to ride the hill again and absolutely wouldn't leave w/o doing it.
Pride: Self-explanatory
Dread: Knowing that Mommy wasn't going to be pleased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very timely post, just last week we got one of these from Specialized for my son's 3rd b-day:

& will be getting the girl's model for my daughter when she turns 2 this Spring:

My friend who owns the shop has had his son on it since he was about 18mo and the balance he's got is really amazing.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those balance bikes are starting to show up everywhere on our mountain bike race weekends. This has to be the end all be all of them. A guy built it for his daughter to match his new bike

Last edited by: indytri: Feb 15, 08 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid [indytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big red X.

The specialized runs for $140. It looks like a good upgrade from the wood bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another to check out. www.mykinderbike.com

Just ordered one for my 27mo old daughter.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video. I did not even know bikes like this exist. My daughter at 5, almost 6 has been struggling. This gives me some ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep pneumatic tires, and the construction seems good. The brake is a drum that actually has some stopping power. Sorry to hear about the spill, but as always, kids prove to us that they are resilient - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Big red X.

The specialized runs for $140. It looks like a good upgrade from the wood bikes.
Sorry forgot you had to be logged into that site to see pics. Should be working now.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid [indytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a balance bike for my 3 year old and to his mom's surprise he loves it! He loved to ride his tricycle and the thought was pedaling was the interest - not! He took his first awesome jump yesterday - waiting for first roadrash.

We bought the Kazam - it is another good option.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Balance Bike Review w/Vid [mgmoore7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgmoore7 wrote:
Cool video. I did not even know bikes like this exist. My daughter at 5, almost 6 has been struggling. This gives me some ideas.

My kids were 4 and 6 and still had training wheels (horror of all horror's, I know). So anyway, I decided that since they already had bikes I wasn't going to go out and purchase bikes without pedals. I took the pedals off of their bikes and then took them to a parking lot by the house that has a very slight hill. I put them at the top of the hill and let them go down it a few times and then walk the bike back up. After 10 minutes or so, my son was ready for the pedals to be put back on. He started going down the hill and then pedaled and didn't stop (until he hit the fence at the other end)! Easiest way to teach anyone to ride a bike, in my opinion!
Quote Reply