Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Periodization - A simple model to structure your training
Quote | Reply
Hi again,

I promised many of you that I'd follow up my last thread on balanced training with one on periodization. There is nothing earth shattering here and, though I've been accused of likeing to hear myself talk (and they are right!), I make no claims to bring ground breaking methods. I mainly just want to share some of the fundamentals of tried and true methods that have been used over the years and haev proven to be successful by most athletes.

I've also been accused of either "not saying anything new" or presenting information that is "not useful for 'such & such' type of triathlete" who may or may not be more common. To that I say that you are more than welcome to train how ever you want for what ever reasons you have. I'm not passing judgment or claiming that these methods are for everyone. I simply wish to get the information out there, open a line of discussion about training, and offer something for people to think about.

First, the slides:

EDIT: Graphs show fitness as a result of types of training. eg On this first slide the runner may do the same tempo workout each week, but his lactate threshold improves, thus his performance rises (faster times).

EDIT: Slides are meant to represent the basics behind a typical periodized program. Much of the details are left out including strides, hills, and early speedwork. IMO, aerobic running, lactate threshold training, and V02max workouts are still going to be you rhighest priorties for most events.

This is a very basic explanation for how a periodized program typically fits together. There have been people who have experimented with some "reverse Periodized" models for different events. There seems to be some success in the sprints. It also may not be a bad idea for an Ironman athlete to, for example, use the winter to get in their faster training and then focus on the heavy endurance training in the summer. I'll content, however, that this is a matter of logistics more than anything else. To ask an AGer to train 15-20 hours a week in the winter time is often asking them to hate training. Often times the training gets cut down during the dark and cold months, so as a result, the intensity gets piled on....which is perfectly acceptable.

I often suggest to people who want to focus on their running over the winter to use th e6 month model I have above. What they do is pick a race in early March to shoot for and then build base all Fall and then run workouts in the late winter to peak for a runnin grace. Then, the spring is back to base building, this time for triathlon, to work toward a key sprint of Oly in the late summer.

If you refer to my last thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_engine#1600721

note that the "balance" in training refers to the entire 6 month cycle. So at the end of 6 months your total training will have a given balance of endurance, threahold, V02max, and speed training. However, the earlier "base building" months will be much heavier on the endurance than anything else.

What about Ironman training? Again, refer to the slides in the last thread. You *may* not do ANY faster training if you are of a level where you just simply don't have enough aerobic training in your lifetime to complete the event well. In this case, you may be well to the left of that graphic where ALL of your training is aerobic.

Keep in mind that the more miles you have under your legs across several years, the more and more of the intense training you'll be able to do. Less experinced runners *typically* need to focus more on educrance tyoe training.

Questions? Comments? Insults?

Runtraining12

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Last edited by: BarryP: Dec 27, 07 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good read. The information seems like what I've been thinking, but I've never been able to put it into words. This is my first winter where I am going to train all the way through (I hope!) building my base for next year. I can't wait to apply this information closer to race season to see what kind of peaks I can build.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to post this info...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff Barry, thanks for posting.

What do you consider aerobic vs. LT? Do you go by HR, pace, PE? One of my training partners swears by HR training in the winter, but I can't see the benefit of running "zone 1" pace for most of my runs. I usually run with my HR around 145-150 (7:30-7:45 pace) with my LT being 173ish (6:10 pace). Is that too hard? Basically my question is if I run at "zone 3" do I still get the benefits of 1 and 2?

Thanks,
Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for posting this. I found it to be very informative. I also like to use periodization for weight training....but we won't even go there!

Anyway, thanks again.

"It is not the great things we do in life that really matter, it's the small things we do with a great heart..."-Mother Theresa
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [bikesportgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be serious into weightlifting (40 pounds ago). The principles are very similar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your graphs a representation of training load or of fitness?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry

Great post. I like the pictures (worth a thousand words etc...). I think that many long course triathletes are more likely to shift to intensity on the bike in the winter, while running long is not much of a problem. I find long runs to be easier in the winter (even at 15-20 degrees) than in the summer. Besides, long on the bike is more like 5 hourse, while long on the run is 1.5-2 hours. No problem running 1.5 hours in 20 degrees but 4-5 hours on the bike at 20 degrees.....not so much.

Also, I am curious about "balance" for IM athletes. Let's say that someone follows the 2-4 month plan in your first slide, say...Nov-Feb and targets a mid March 1/2 marathon. How would a ballanced program look after that to carry them to say a late August IM? Would you still include the VO2 max stuff for IM at that point or would the LT stuff be enough intensity for an IM (where people are running slowly)?

Thanks again, good stuff.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fine post Barry.

I am actually heading in this direction already (with my running at least) with a peak for a late jan half marathon coming up and then a second peak for Arizona. Getting a whole lot of aerobic frequency with dev's 100 in 100 challenge seems to be doing well for me (with a weekly threshold run) and I am just about to add the VO2max stuff...i'm looking for a PR in the half marathon and hopefully a fast run in AZ as long as the bike falls into place (reverse periodization there...)

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are your graphs a representation of training load or of fitness?

FITNESS (which is related to training). It's not what I would consider necessarily scientifically accurate. Its a way of looking at what kind of benefits you get from each type of training. For example, the red section could simply be doing the same 8x800 workout once a week, but you get faster and faster each week, so it shows the graph working toward a peak.

Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Great post. I like the pictures (worth a thousand words etc...). I think that many long course triathletes are more likely to shift to intensity on the bike in the winter, while running long is not much of a problem. I find long runs to be easier in the winter (even at 15-20 degrees) than in the summer. Besides, long on the bike is more like 5 hourse, while long on the run is 1.5-2 hours. No problem running 1.5 hours in 20 degrees but 4-5 hours on the bike at 20 degrees.....not so much.

Hey thanks for contirbuting Mike. Long course athletes still work on the base, but it seems that a lot of them will focus on their heaviest mileage being in the late spring to lead into more intense training in the summer to prepare for Canada, Moo, KY, or Hawaii, for example. I think of the winter months as just getting in what you can, and since the roads are cold. dark, and icy, that limits people to trainers.

Quote:
Also, I am curious about "balance" for IM athletes. Let's say that someone follows the 2-4 month plan in your first slide, say...Nov-Feb and targets a mid March 1/2 marathon. How would a ballanced program look after that to carry them to say a late August IM? Would you still include the VO2 max stuff for IM at that point or would the LT stuff be enough intensity for an IM (where people are running slowly)?

IMO (I don't claim to be an IM expert) I would probably revert back to exclusively aerobic running in April. May to mid-June would be a mileage build. Those last 6 weeks would focus on building up the long run. I would treat intensity in one of the following ways:

1) Less seasoned athletes with available training time - none.

2) Less seasoned athlete with limited training time - LT (tempo/threshold) stuff to make up for the lack of mileage.

3) Top AG athletes - high mileage with some LT stuff

4) Elites (potential sub 3hr runners) - limited amounts of V02max plus LT and high mileage.

Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

What do you consider aerobic vs. LT? Do you go by HR, pace, PE? One of my training partners swears by HR training in the winter, but I can't see the benefit of running "zone 1" pace for most of my runs. I usually run with my HR around 145-150 (7:30-7:45 pace) with my LT being 173ish (6:10 pace). Is that too hard? Basically my question is if I run at "zone 3" do I still get the benefits of 1 and 2?

Aerobic is zone 1 or 2. I never distinguish between the two because I think people should run based on how they feel. ie...if you feel like crap, run slow...as long as you get the miles in. MOST aerobic running is typically in zone 2 (~1:30 to 2:00 slower than 5K race pace). You should run a pace based off of current fitness levels first (ie 1:30 slower than current 5K fitness) and tripple check that with RPE and HR.

ANY running faster than zone 2 (except sprinting, I believe) will give you the same benefits. Tha caveat is that running at fatster paces becomes more and more stressful with less and less additional benefit. Your tradeoff is 4 miles fast, or 8 miles slower. 4 miles fast will give you good aerobic training.....but then you stop running. 8 miles is more. See?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did someone delete a post? I could have sworn someone reiterated Kevin's question.

The graphics show fitness, not training load. They are related, but, for example, the chart that shows the decreased performance after the peak is what typically happens if people keep training hard beyond their peak. The training load would actually be constant while performance declines.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry,

One my athletes shared your thread with me. Good thoughts. As I was reading it I had "yeah, but it's different for Ironman athletes..." but you identified many of the caveats I had in my head. These are my notes:
  • "Build Fast when you can separate Far from Fast." We get our folks faster in the off-season. Or, to be more specific, we do get-faster-on-the-bike training pretty much year round, with an intensity shift downward/volume upward beginning about 10wks out from an IM. However, we...limit or confine...get faster on the run training to the off-season, bleeding into spring/half IM season, then trailing off to a focus on frequency and volume during that 10wk build up.
  • Within this construct, the red stuff on your graphs is separated from the "far" training. Less so on the bike, much more so on the run.
  • I think if an Ironman athlete followed the advice outlined in your graphs they would run into trouble by trying to integrate high intensity training (especially on the run) with the high volume work required for IM racing, especially closer to the race. But you do a good job of pointing this out. This is the problem I have the Friel module of Base 1, 2, 3, Build 1, 2, etc. I think it works from Sprint to HIM, then falls apart at the IM distance.
  • This reverse periodization model is one I fell into probably in...2003 or so, but less for training reasons and more for the practical reasons that you pointed out: the cards dealt us by life, climate, latitude, hours of daylight, etc. In my experience, these constraints are the starting point and everything else flows backwards from there.
  • Right now we have 70+ people in an off-season training group that we're running through a cycle of FT/pace at LTHR work, the move them to Vo2 work for both bike and run, then move them back to the threshold work. Training with HR, watts, pace via the Daniels model, collecting field test data monthly, etc. Pretty cool stuff. The first month was lots of bitching and moaning about their new definition of "hard" but now the hard work is really paying off and they're psyched.
Anyway, good stuff and graphs always help. Some similar thoughts here in a podcast regarding how to structure a training season: Podcast: Structuring a Triathlon Season

--------------------------------

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Last edited by: Rich Strauss: Dec 20, 07 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry,

Great stuff. I always tried to follow a periodized program when I was training seriously. However, what it often ended up being is regardless of the time of the year - when work and other commitments allowed, I trained long and/or hard. When work and other commiments where more demanding of my time, I backed off and went easy.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the vein of what Rich is talking about, we had a long discussion on the Endurance Nation forum regarding reverse-periodization and an article I co-authored with one of my pro athletes, Terry Kerrigan, who recently PR'ed through the use of the reverse-periodization model. We wrote it for Gordo's Alternative Perspectives blog. You can check it out here: http://www.physfarm.com/blog/?p=28

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry,
Any chance you could throw this post and your others into pdf's or some other document file (other then html)?

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich,

Thanks alot for posting. A lot of people seem to lack just some of the basic fundamentals behind the concept of periodization, so I wanted to provide a model. As with every generic program, you can't simply apply it to all people across all race distances. The IM distance is certainly a different beast all together. Thanks for offering a clear example of how one might approach training for it.

Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [vortmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Barry,
Any chance you could throw this post and your others into pdf's or some other document file (other then html)?
I made a pdf and uploaded to rapidshare. If someone wants to grab it and host it somewhere for direct download that would be great, assuming Barry agrees.

http://rapidshare.com/files/78023326/barry-periodization.pdf[/url]

Thanks for a thought-provoking post, Barry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

"I'm not going to have reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president."
-Hillary Clinton

The answer to "1984" is 1776.
Last edited by: Mookie1986: Dec 21, 07 3:03
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"reverse-periodization"

Calling this model "reverse-periodization" is a pet peeve of mine. The periodized model of training is general to specific. Doing intensity before race specific volume oriented to IM training is just regular old periodized training, nothing alternative about it. If athletes were doing IM specific training in the off season, then shorter faster training before their IMs, now that would be reversed periodization.
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"reverse-periodization"

Calling this model "reverse-periodization" is a pet peeve of mine. The periodized model of training is general to specific. Doing intensity before race specific volume oriented to IM training is just regular old periodized training, nothing alternative about it. If athletes were doing IM specific training in the off season, then shorter faster training before their IMs, now that would be reversed periodization.

Alright, I will go first. Who says that is the regular old periodized training? Also, when do IM athletes get an off season? Why you are at it, when you say shorter faster training...please reference shorter and faster...than what? And for how many weeks? Then when do you taper? Or is that your taper? I come in "peace" and am curious because your statements are a little inconclusive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A succint piece of work. I see a lot of coaches overcomplicate both sessions and methods and this really does neatly show the main train of thought. Very nice Barry. More stuff like this is always welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Periodization - A simple model to structure your training [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you on the general->specific thing. I wrote an article for Triathlon Life a couple of years ago where I touched on exactly this point. However, in general coaching parlance, people think in terms of periodization = slow -> fast or base->lt->speedwork. Thus, the approach is somewhat of a "reversal" of the way they think about periodization. I have found that while lecturing / writing, it sails right over people's heads unless you specifically say "reverse-periodization" first, and THEN explain why it makes sense in terms of progression from general->specific training. Otherwise, the first question is always, "Yeah, but why don't you periodize the schedule?"

I'm actually giving a weekend lecture series in January that will cover this stuff as well.

http://www.physfarm.com/...6&products_id=17

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the post, very interesting thread. How well do you find that the higher intensity work in winter carries across to IM speed in the summer? I have always followed the 'classic' periodisation model (long and slow in winter to build a base then add higher intensity work as racing season approaches) both in triathlon and in my previous sport, rowing. A couple of the (probably simplistic) assumptions I had behind this approach:
  • the aerobic base is a prerequisite for being able to cope with the higher intensity training. Doing it the other way round seems like trying to build the house before the foundations. Presumablyyou expect your athletes to be in pretty good shape before the higher intensity work starts or you risk injury?
  • the higher the intensity of the work, the quicker you realise the benefits and the quicker you lose the benefits when you stop. Always seemed like if I miss a week of aerobic training in winter I don't lose much when I come back, if I miss a week during higher intensity periods I am noticeably less fit on my return

Are these assumptions in any way valid and if so how do you deal with them?

I'm racing my second (and probably last) IM in July. First IM was a couple of years ago and I did purely aerobic and a bit of LT training for it as my goal was simply to master the distances and complete in good shape. This time round I'm aiming a bit higher as now have a few more years of triathlon training under my belt. Plan was to do lots of aerobic volume Jan-Mar and be comfortable with the distances by the end of that period. Apri-May would still be predominantly aerobic with some LT work thrown in. June-July I was planning to maintain the distances with a weekly long aerobic session in each discipline, but to increase the intensity in other sessions including some VO2 Max training. Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts on how to improve the plan?

Background: I'm 32, have been playing sport all my life and have 15 years of pretty consistent training behind me in various sports. With some work and life constraints I'll realistically be finishing in 10:xx in July.

Cheers

Simon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

Aerobic is zone 1 or 2. I never distinguish between the two because I think people should run based on how they feel. ie...if you feel like crap, run slow...as long as you get the miles in. MOST aerobic running is typically in zone 2 (~1:30 to 2:00 slower than 5K race pace). You should run a pace based off of current fitness levels first (ie 1:30 slower than current 5K fitness) and tripple check that with RPE and HR.

ANY running faster than zone 2 (except sprinting, I believe) will give you the same benefits. Tha caveat is that running at fatster paces becomes more and more stressful with less and less additional benefit. Your tradeoff is 4 miles fast, or 8 miles slower. 4 miles fast will give you good aerobic training.....but then you stop running. 8 miles is more. See?
Barry a follow up to this question and please forgive me for my confusion. You have in the past advocated a weekly tempo run 20-30 secs off of 5K pace. Do you consider this an aerobic run or an LT run? Since if LT it wouldn't follow your model if done year around, would it?? Thanks for all you add to ST!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next