Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A public service for the snow leopards
Quote | Reply
while apparently this has been used by many folks for a long time, it seems that few runners and triathletes from snowy regions seem know about it. so to spread the word, since the snow has begun to fall in north america, i will repost this. i have personally tested this for years on nearly every snowy and icy surface imaginable and the traction you get on these normally slippery surfaces is downright amazing. i have a dedicated pair of (older) running shoes set up like this all winter (they work great for walking and plowing too). but a few cautions: i would not recommend that you do this to running shoes with so-called "air" soles. i would also warn you that, while these are excellent on nearly any surface outdoors, they can be quite slippery on indoor tile or any super smooth indoor flooring (like those in some locker rooms). the photo shows the screws and a suggested pattern:

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: GregX: Feb 6, 10 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The photo of the screws makes them look longer than the packaging. Have you ever had trouble with the screws being too long? I need something like this desperately!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the screws are the shortest ones i could find at the local hardware store. and i've never had any problems with them being too long, but the trick is to place the screws deliberately.

for example, i avoid putting them in the blue cross-hatched area below because the midsole tends to be thinner and the forefoot puts more pressure in that spot. the keys for traction are the heel (stopping) and toe (push off), as well as both the inside and especially outside edges of the foot.

Last edited by: GregX: Dec 16, 07 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the photo. I was hoping to get away from the treadmill this winter but was leery about ice so was thinking about screws/bolts but imagined them with the points sticking down. I'll go with your plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your idea. I just bought a new pair of running shoes so I can try this on my old pair. And, as luck would have it, we got several inches of snow this morning with more on the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great! My Dad said there is too much snow in Milwaukee to run outdoors. That's rubbish! I just need some screws!

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, these snow screws have been personally tested on milwaukee snow and ice, and they work great.

and there ain't no thing as 'too much' snow (well, maybe in the sierras when they get 8 feet at a time, but then that's what snow shoes are for.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're in Milwaukee? I would love to hear some input on good places to train while I'm there. I've already hit up JSA for some ideas too. I don't want to be on the dreadmill! PM me if you have any good running routes or masters swim teams.

Thanks!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, i'm actually not in milwaukee, but i've just been there a few times in the winter due to my job.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great minds must think alike! I used 1/2 inch screws, no problems.

(proof that we came up with the idea independently - here is a thread on another board where I posted it last week http://www.tigerboard.com/....php?message=5179551 )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg for the reminder...we've been running in lots of snow and normally I do this for our annual Winterlude Triathlon where we run on a frozen canal, but I might just have to do the same for a pair of day in day out shoes for running on snow!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YakTrax for $19.99 were a great for me last year. A little more expensive but you can use the same shoes you have been using.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you're due for more punishment. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use YakTrax too - they work great, and I switch them easily from my road shoes, to the trail shoes, to my hiking boots, my dog walking shoes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are my new hero! I did this to a pair of mine today, awesome. It is harder than I would have thought to start the screws.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, it's great to do something to make someone else's life a little better.

have at it, the snow is waiting for you tear it up.

Last edited by: GregX: Dec 16, 07 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how are they when you're on cement? i cant imagine that its possible to completely avoid it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing this for years, but am nowhere near as precise with the spacing! In my experience, significantly fewer screws will do the job too. Maybe 1/2 dozen or so up front and a little less on the heel.

That is a great picture to help people out. Nice job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Yaktrax here...I think they are excellent for 20 odd bucks, and my Gel Kayanos still look brand new.
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [mr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they work great on cement or asphalt if you don't put in too many screws. that way the rubber of the shoe can still stick to the bare suface. but i prefer to run on the snowy parts of the asphalt because i get better traction and it's less impact.

about the yaktrax, they are 20 bucks, and being the cheapskate that i am and the screws being only a couple of pennies a piece, you can see where that leads ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even more than your frugal nature my fine sir, please take into account the brilliant solution to a simple problem. I for one take pride in craftsmanship and a job well done.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done that as well, it works great. I will do it again this year for the Mt Taylor winter Quadrathalon.
Quote Reply
Re: A public service for the snow leopards [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
YakTrax for $19.99 were a great for me last year. A little more expensive but you can use the same shoes you have been using.

The first time I tried YakTrax I took them out to a frozen pond/ice rink at night and started doing laps at a full out sprint. I was pretty bummed because I thought it was just unkempt ice giving me the unbelievable grip, not the YakTrax themselves. Of course as soon as I took them off and pushed off I faceplanted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool Idea, but I know old runners that have been doing the same thing for over 50 years, and many since then, making it work in the colder areas, we won't charge you for plagerisim, just keep moving forward and don't put the screw in one of those air pockets in the new shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next