Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

400s on the Track
Quote | Reply
So, I went to the track today and did 4x400 pretty much all out. My times (on the watch) were:

What sort of 5k times would you run gurus extrapolate from those splits? I'm curious how my run speed compares with my endurance.

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [DabossAJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not nearly enough information. How much rest did you take between 400s? What other kinds of running do you do? Do you train for 5/10K distances?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
18-20, assuming a 1-2 minute rest MAX between intervals.

But, yeah, Ken is right. Just guessing....

How old are you and what do you weigh at what height?

I can still run a 75 second quarter, but I can't break 24 minutes in 5K. (Of course, I was a quarter miler 45 years ago.)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this workout for a good 5k estimate.

12.5 laps as hard as you can. take total time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone back to the high school track, too.

I do one long run a week, 12-14 miles, sub 70% of MHR.

To improve my 5k times, the way I've done it.

I run 10 880s. on 3:30, which is slow to the speedsters here. I'm 42. After the 880, I will walk 220 yards to the next line, which is about 2 minutes, to 2.5 minutes rest. Then 2 mile warm down.

That's on Mondays. On Wednesdays, I do 4 1 mile repeats, on 7:05 per mile pace. I'll walk one lap after each mile.

If you reduce your rest, you will get better results.

Then test yourself by going all out on 10 laps straight. See if its working.
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [lawoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lawoof you made me LMAO.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it's funny you asked. Yesterday I ran over to the local track (1/2 mile there), and did 3x800 w/400 jog between, then an easy 400, followed by a hard 400. My 800s were 2:36, 2:41, and 2:41. The 400 was 1:06.7. I can probably hit around 17:00 for 5K. I'm 46.

Your mileage *will* vary.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry, not nearly enough information. How much rest did you take between 400s? What other kinds of running do you do? Do you train for 5/10K distances?
I took about 3 min rest between each 400. I train primarily for olympic distance triathlons, so I guess 10k. I run one longer run weekly (70-90 min) and then a couple of 40-60 min runs.
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IF i ever do sub 17 minutes in a 5K, I'm shaving my legs. I think that ought to be the requirement and answer to "should I shave my legs?"

Well, can you do a 5K, under 17 minutes?

Yes.

Then you can.

No.

Then you can't.
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are in my boat.

You can't shave your legs until you sub 17 minutes in a 5K.

New rule, enforced here on Slowtwitch.

Coming from Dan himself.

He told me to tell everyone here, for all slowtwitchers, nobody registered here and active is allowed to shave their legs unless they can sub 17 minutes in a 5K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you are doing 12-15 hours of week of tri training (ie you have a good aerobic base), including four 60 min runs per week, then with those 400 times and also assuming ~ 30-45 sec rest between repeats, you should run close to 16 min flat for 5K (77 seconds per 400 m, or 10% slower than your 400 m repeat pace)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are in the final build/peak stage for an A race, I think you'd get far more out of 3-4 x 1mile rather than running 400s.

3 min rest is too much between 400, as well. Cut down the rest to no more than 100% of your interval time.

My best estimate would be as someone else guessed: 18-20min, and probably toward the longer end.

A far better 400 workout for you at that pace would be something like 10-12 x 400 @1:30 on 2:00 to 2:15. The intervals will seem slow, especially at first, but rest assured...the final 3-4 will be painful, especially if you stay true to the shorter rest interval.

If you choose to run the miles, try something like 3-4 repeats, at 95-105% of your 5k pace per mile, and with 50% or less of the interval time for recovery.

Anyway, that's more than you asked for...hope it helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I took about 3 min rest between each 400. I train primarily for olympic distance triathlons, so I guess 10k. I run one longer run weekly (70-90 min) and then a couple of 40-60 min runs.

Way too much rest in between to determine with any degree of accuracy. And not enough 400's.
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unless you are in the final build/peak stage for an A race, I think you'd get far more out of 3-4 x 1mile rather than running 400s.

3 min rest is too much between 400, as well. Cut down the rest to no more than 100% of your interval time.

My best estimate would be as someone else guessed: 18-20min, and probably toward the longer end.

A far better 400 workout for you at that pace would be something like 10-12 x 400 @1:30 on 2:00 to 2:15. The intervals will seem slow, especially at first, but rest assured...the final 3-4 will be painful, especially if you stay true to the shorter rest interval.

If you choose to run the miles, try something like 3-4 repeats, at 95-105% of your 5k pace per mile, and with 50% or less of the interval time for recovery.

Anyway, that's more than you asked for...hope it helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do 5 x 1000m, with a 400m jog rest in between (for me that is about 2:15 rest)

If you could only do one speed workout to improve 5K time, this would be it. By Daniel's book, intervals should be about 4 minutes (range from about 3:00 to a max of five minutes) so you could do a 4x 1200m, or 3-4 x 1500m if you are quick enough.

I like 400s to work on running economy and form, but you should be doing 8-12 with either 60 seconds straight rest, or about a 400m jog or 2:00 whichever is shorter.

But in all hoestly the best way to improve almost anyones 5K is to build a bigger base. The 90 minute runs really help..

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: 400s on the Track [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 workout I've been doing that seems to translate pretty well over to races is 8 - 16 x 400 w/200 run/jog in between. Your 400's will not be nearly as fast, it will greatly help with endurance. I used to do 400s with "complete" rest, however my 5k and 10k have improved with no stoppage in between 400's.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you post your best 5k time as well as the 400s? Then we'll all see that 18-20 minutes is much SLOWER than you've done in the past. I know you've run in the 16:XX range, so let everyone know about your 5k greatness.

I'd say that you can run an open 5k in 16:00 if you put your mind to it. Of course what do I know.

Adam
Quote Reply
Sir! May I shave my legs now? Sir! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are in my boat.

You can't shave your legs until you sub 17 minutes in a 5K.

New rule, enforced here on Slowtwitch.

Coming from Dan himself.

He told me to tell everyone here, for all slowtwitchers, nobody registered here and active is allowed to shave their legs unless they can sub 17 minutes in a 5K.

Just did 16:57 for 5K on a treadmill that wouldn't go as fast as I wanted (5:08/mile) at the end, in a hot gym.

Can I shave my legs now?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply